• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trouble in paradise

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Don't give up! Maybe take a break but you'll figure it out eventually. It has to be fun, if it gets to the point where you hate playing, then maybe look for something else. We are not here to make a living at golf, very few are. It's supposed to be a distraction from other things, for inner peace, enjoyment, hookers and blow!

Why beat yourself up because a little white ball refuses to co-operate with your expectations of where it is supposed to go?!!
I do agree with you but I've been playing for about 3 1/2 years and was at a single digit handicap for a while. I knew it was something I was good at and wanted to commit myself to seeing how good I can become. I was diagnosed with a rare kidney disorder about 4 years ago which is causing me to be discharged from the military. I can no longer continue my goal of special operations training or put my body through intense workouts or even high paced sports anymore. So golf is all I have. I don't expect to be on tour but I need something to be passionate about since my life has been flipped upside down. Having that kind of goal keeps me going. So to me it's more than a game.. That's just my 2 cents and just wanted to express why I take it seriously.. But you are right I need to keep it enjoyable.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Hey, I hear you. I played to a low digit h/c for a long time, I've been playing for 30+ years and have been better than 5 index for 25 of that. I used to take it very seriously, was ultra-competitive, I'd be down for days after a bad round, I'd curse and throw clubs. I've now got older, had (hip) surgery, and have a lot more family and work commitments which means I have less time to play golf so I'm now off 6/7. And you know what, I still steam when I hit a poor shot, but I also have learned to move on quickly and be thankful to be walking on the links at all.

Sounds like you have been through a lot, use golf to relax, de-stress, not to add to it. In time the game will come back, you just got to dig it out of the dirt. Playing off single figures means you have game, you'll discover it again, I have no doubt.

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
So I had a good hour and a half lesson with a top pro here who's played professionally for 30 years and knows his stuff. Gave me a whole new outlook on my swing. I'm using too much of my right arm and I need to use 99% of my swing with my left. Along with a few other tweaks it felt really weird. Was able to get my short irons down easily but still not getting my long irons down at all. He was really impressed by how quick I picked it up and gave me unlimited across to the range with balls free of cost whenever I go up there. He is also going work with me free of charge when he can squeeze me in. I feel like I'm on the right track but still not fully confident in the long shots anymore. I hope it comes with times.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
So I had a good hour and a half lesson with a top pro here who's played professionally for 30 years and knows his stuff. Gave me a whole new outlook on my swing. I'm using too much of my right arm and I need to use 99% of my swing with my left. Along with a few other tweaks it felt really weird. Was able to get my short irons down easily but still not getting my long irons down at all. He was really impressed by how quick I picked it up and gave me unlimited across to the range with balls free of cost whenever I go up there. He is also going work with me free of charge when he can squeeze me in. I feel like I'm on the right track but still not fully confident in the long shots anymore. I hope it comes with times.
That's awesome, glad the pro was able to help you out!

Your avatar still freaks me out.

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
I have the same problem. Used to hit a nice draw and now it's all slices with no distance. I can't figure it out either.
I was convinced by the pro today that a draw won't get you much more distance if you hit a fade right. He suggested don't fight it and if it comes back then great. He oddly compared it to raping a woman. If it's forced it can end up really bad but if you make love to it (metaphorically speaking) your misses still get the job done.

ejdahl21

Never Lay Up
Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2007
I was convinced by the pro today that a draw won't get you much more distance if you hit a fade right. He suggested don't fight it and if it comes back then great. He oddly compared it to raping a woman. If it's forced it can end up really bad but if you make love to it (metaphorically speaking) your misses still get the job done.

Either way, something is getting f**ked.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
Lets talk about balance for a second.

You have a pro there that seems to favor one side of the swing or the other. He appears to think a lot of things are like that.

I think it its like watching a canadian push a cart full of firewood up a hill with his left arm. He will keep turning the cart to the right and ending up at the bottom of the hill again, because the pressure he is applying to the cart is not equal. He doesnt realize both sides of the cart have to be pushed because he cant see in his mind what is necessary to balance the force he is applying to the woodcart. Its pretty obvious to you, but doing two things at the same time in a balanced way is actually challenging to people who may have eaten yellow snow.

So as you get advice, dont worry about using just the left or just the right side. In fact, learn how. Its good to know what effect the left and right side of our swing does, and its very useful when your swing starts becoming balanced in the middle, because its at that point you will really start controlling your shots.

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Lets talk about balance for a second.

You have a pro there that seems to favor one side of the swing or the other. He appears to think a lot of things are like that.

I think it its like watching a canadian push a cart full of firewood up a hill with his left arm. He will keep turning the cart to the right and ending up at the bottom of the hill again, because the pressure he is applying to the cart is not equal. He doesnt realize both sides of the cart have to be pushed because he cant see in his mind what is necessary to balance the force he is applying to the woodcart. Its pretty obvious to you, but doing two things at the same time in a balanced way is actually challenging to people who may have eaten yellow snow.

So as you get advice, dont worry about using just the left or just the right side. In fact, learn how. Its good to know what effect the left and right side of our swing does, and its very useful when your swing starts becoming balanced in the middle, because its at that point you will really start controlling your shots.
i thought it was odd at first but he showed me why every pro practices with their left arm (right handed players). He used to be a physics professor as well and was involved in the research a few decades ago that involved making the perfect swing with a robot which evolved into the machines we see today. They searched around the world to find someone with a near perfect swing so they could have the robot emulate it. To their surprise the most consistent swing they found was not by one, but 2 guys in Europe who each had only one arm. Of course the right arm helps but 99% of the power and swing is driven from your left. He also busted open this text book that showed all the physics behind the golf swing (influenced by the guys with 1 arm). He tweaked up my stance a bit and changed a few other things but once I got it down I was striking a 9 iron about 155 yards. My 9 is usually my 140-145 club. I also did not pull a single shot to the left either. Even my bad shots were def playable. It felt really odd but seems like a promising approach. I've gotten used to it with my short irons but the long irons are still getting me. That's just going to take time now. We all have different swings but the concept I was taught makes sense to me. I've been at a low point in my game so I'm just going to go with what this guy says for now since he's got the credentials to back it.

🔥 Latest posts