• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trouble in paradise

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
When I get all wonky I try to get back to basics: Grip, alignment, ball position, and hand position.
I think too many golfers write this off as cliche. This is very good advice. Bad setup can lead to unwanted curvature really quickly.

Last edited:
OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Well let's see if today is a better day. Going to take my daughter to daycare and then head to the course

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I think too many golfer write this off as cliche. This is very good advice. Bad setup can lead to unwanted curvature really quickly.
Agree, and I work out that swing bottom in my preshot routine. The only real thing I am looking for is my grip allowing the club to hinge easily throughout the path. Since that path can change depending on the lie and what I have to do to get through the shot and also what shot shape I am trying to hit, it is an important moment.

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Looks like I need professional help. Hit a bucket before I was going to play and it was awful. So I just left. Not quitting but I may put the clubs up for a good while and take a step back from the game.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Looks like I need professional help. Hit a bucket before I was going to play and it was awful. So I just left. Not quitting but I may put the clubs up for a good while and take a step back from the game.
Did you try this: The go to drill around here and especially with me is 3/4 to full swings with the feet together.

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Did you try this: The go to drill around here and especially with me is 3/4 to full swings with the feet together.
yeah that's the first thing I did at the range. Worked ok, gradually widened my stance and took bigger swings. The shank was gone on short irons but can't hit anything solid with my 6-4 iron. Couldn't draw the driver once no matter how hard I tried even set it to an upright lie. I pulled the trigger on lessons with a new top rated pro here in San Diego (wife is going to kill me because he's pricey). I'm not going to play, hit balls, or even watch golf the rest of this week to clear my mind.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Some years ago, we had a member of our group who really struggled with the game. I doubt he ever broke 100. The game was no fun, because he expected it to be easy. One day, his frustration was evident and another member of our group told him, "I have some advice for you. Take two weeks off.... then quit!" We were on hole #8 at the time. The fellow picked up his bag, walked in to the clubhouse, and has never been back on a golf course. I see him from time to time around town. We always vist. He still says that was the single best advice he's ever received!!!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
If you don't enjoy hitting lots of balls on the range, chances are you will never be a great golfer. It's all about what you want out of the game. Do what makes you happy. If it's not fun, there is no point in playing.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
If you don't enjoy hitting lots of balls on the range, chances are you will never be a great golfer. It's all about what you want out of the game. Do what makes you happy. If it's not fun, there is no point in playing.
Agree, and if its fun you really wont get all mental about it, which really helps, especially when you have a gallery.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Thanks guys I'm going to go back to square one. I also noticed I do this at the range mostly on hard mats with no bounce. Do you think that could have some effect on how I swing? Even mentally? I seem to be fine on the course with lush fairways also but not if the mishaps at the range are still in my head
Yes. I am with you. Mats, especially thin hard ones get in my head and do weird shit to my swing. I know exactly what you mean.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
The Good Lord only put "x" number of swings in this body. None of us know when that number is up. So, why waste the ones given us on range balls and practice swings????

rob0225

Mar 27, 2006
Country
I have the same problem. Used to hit a nice draw and now it's all slices with no distance. I can't figure it out either.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Don't give up! Maybe take a break but you'll figure it out eventually. It has to be fun, if it gets to the point where you hate playing, then maybe look for something else. We are not here to make a living at golf, very few are. It's supposed to be a distraction from other things, for inner peace, enjoyment, hookers and blow!

Why beat yourself up because a little white ball refuses to co-operate with your expectations of where it is supposed to go?!!

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
The Good Lord only put "x" number of swings in this body. None of us know when that number is up. So, why waste the ones given us on range balls and practice swings????
That's my theory also. I can usually figure out what's going wrong because I've played so long and know my swing better than anyone else.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.