• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

True carry distance

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
It can with the right launch and spin rate, but I do max out at 108

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I'm not doubting you - although I would like to reconcile your experience to what I've read lately.
I just got Wishon's "Common Sense Clubfitting" book and I thought it has max carry for 100mph at like 236 or 238 or something. 105 is obviously faster - but there's quite a jump from 236 to 265

anyone know what kind of balls are used for some of these published charts?

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Dunno, is it 3 yards for every 1 mph, I can't remember. So if I was swinging well and got to 108/109, then that would equate to 265, assuming Wishon is spot on

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
Dunno, is it 3 yards for every 1 mph, I can't remember. So if I was swinging well and got to 108/109, then that would equate to 265,
assuming Wishon is spot on

3/108 = 324 haha
pretty sure you meant 2.5 because 2.5x108= 270

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I haven't had a chance to get my swing speed checked yet, but I'm driving the ball 280 with a OEM Hibore XL in 10.5* with the factory reg flex shaft. Do I need to upgrade the shaft to a stiff or xtra stiff. Accuracey is my problem right now, I've almost convinced myself it from the shaft flexing too much, can that be right?

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
I haven't had a chance to get my swing speed checked yet, but I'm driving the ball 280 with a OEM Hibore XL in 10.5* with the factory reg flex shaft. Do I need to upgrade the shaft to a stiff or xtra stiff. Accuracey is my problem right now, I've almost convinced myself it from the shaft flexing too much, can that be right?
yeah probably, if you are actually hitting it 280, i would imagine you need a stiff flex, but without your swing speed i can say for sure.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I'm not doubting you - although I would like to reconcile your experience to what I've read lately.
I just got Wishon's "Common Sense Clubfitting" book and I thought it has max carry for 100mph at like 236 or 238 or something. 105 is obviously faster - but there's quite a jump from 236 to 265

anyone know what kind of balls are used for some of these published charts?

Who is Wishon? I've heard a lot of people refer to him.

I've been told that for every mile per hour you get 2.5 yards of carry. This works for me on launch monitors. Also I watched the skins game and they had launch monitors on a few tees. I remember seeing Fred Couples, swinging at 115mph and carring about 290 so it seems about right.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Lol, just been speaking to a pro, and I asked the same question. Considering I have never ever been to a gym I have answered the question myself:) But he also showed me I am losing 5mph if not more by not driving hard enough with my legs and hips

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
well if you swing 105 that equals out to be exactly 262.5 yards. when my swing is on and im not casting it i swing just under 112 with a driver and thats 280 yards. but thats without wind conditions and is it hot or cold and what kind of ball are you using shaft and spin rate and all other variables have been removed it is just a multiplication problem at this point.

🔥 Latest posts