• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

True cost of Pebble Beach

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
There is no frigging way I could drive by Carmel and not at least TRY to play Pebble. Even if I had to sell my GF by the hour.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
Ok so having played Pebble Beach I can tell you that there are two ways to play pebble. First, if you want to have an assured round you have to stay overnight. When I was there it was $550 a night for the cheapest room, and you had to have a bed for each of the people playing the round so if you go with four people you will need two rooms at least. Then you have to pay for the round of golf which was $375 per person when I played. A caddie or a cart will cost $60 for each pair of people to play. That is how it works to get a round on the course for sure. Now every morning you can call the clubhouse, and check for twilight round availability whether you are staying on property or not, and it is much less expensive, the only downside being that you will finish 17 and maybe 18 with very little light left. This is how my dad and I played Spanish Bay, although it was a last second decision not to play pebble again. If you are going to be in Carmel for a few days I highly recommend this option as it will save you lots of money. And it is definitely worth every penny you do spend as far as I am concerned.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
..... Now every morning you can call the clubhouse, and check for twilight round availability whether you are staying on property or not, and it is much less expensive, the only downside being that you will finish 17 and maybe 18 with very little light left. This is how my dad and I played Spanish Bay, although it was a last second decision not to play pebble again. If you are going to be in Carmel for a few days I highly recommend this option as it will save you lots of money. And it is definitely worth every penny you do spend as far as I am concerned.

Great info flogger. Thanks.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I'm back, got there but didn't play.
pebble1.jpg

Pebble Player

Feb 20, 2011
I was fortunate enough to have played Pebble in 2005. Was vacationing in San Fransisco and called to see if they could get me out as a single the next day. "Why certainly Mr F, how does 9:25am sound?"
Grabbed the wife, got in the rental and drove down that afternoon. Room in Monterrey $225, spa/nail treatment for the wife $125 and left for the course at 6am the following morning. Greens Fee at the time was $380. Got a double loop for $75+$25 tip. Wife met me for lunch/drinks on the patio post round $75. Slightly buzzed/euphoric stroll through the proshop looking for swag...$300. Grand total $1205.
Almost 6 years later, I still remember every shot. Worth every penny!
I shot 84 from the tips.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Time to resurrect this thread!

My dad sold a house back in 2004 and made some cash, so he asked me "Where do you want to golf?" Of course I first said Augusta, but we all know that's never happening. :D

He booked it through a travel agency. The thing about Pebble is you can't just make a tee time and show up (unless you're a member or a guest of a member). Schlubs like us were required to stay a minimum of two night in one of their resorts. So we got a package that had us play Spanish Bay on Friday, two nights stay in the Inn at Spanish Bay, and then playing Pebble Beach on Saturday.

I believe the room was around $800/night. They did allow to use a courtesy vehicle, which at the time was a convertible BMW Z4. 17 Mile Drive is fun in that little sucker.

I'm not sure how much Spanish Bay was, but I'd guess $300 each. It was cold and rainy so we opted for a cart.

To play Pebble was $380 I believe. Add another $50 for the caddie and the round itself ran a cool $430. I also bought some swag, but whatever. It was awesome to see the US Open trophy sitting in the very modest clubhouse.

When it was all said and done, I think the whole trip ran us around $3,000.

And if I had 3 grand ready to spend on any course in the world, I'd go back to Pebble. The place is just freakin' magical.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
A slight side bar here. Although I've actually stood on the hallowed grounds of Pebble Beach 3 times, I've never actually been to Australia's version of that course -> New South Wales Golf Club. If any of you Northern Hemispherians ever get to down under make sure you check out this place. Adam Scott won an Australian Open here a couple of years ago. I understand it's a breathtaking course.

awww.nswgolfclub.com.au_images_front_aerial_angle.jpg

awww.nswgolfclub.com.au_images_front_5th_sea.jpg

awww.nswgolfclub.com.au_images_front_18th_clubhouse.jpg

Yes, that's downtown Sydney in the top right of the photo.

awww.nswgolfclub.com.au_images_front_6th_tee.jpg

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I paid $25 for 18 with a cart my last time out. For $3k I could play 120 rounds before I break even. Of course we don't have much ocean in VT, but whatever. We have lakes.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I paid $25 for 18 with a cart my last time out. For $3k I could play 120 rounds before I break even. Of course we don't have much ocean in VT, but whatever. We have lakes.
Good point. And I can go to a bar and watch the 49ers play in a Super Bowl on a 120 TVs, or I could buy one front row ticket on the 50 yard line. It's pretty much the same thing.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Or a person could play local muni Pacific Grove rather than Pebble Beach for around $60 and have the same views of the ocean for 9 of its holes.

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
Pacific Grove rather than Pebble Beach for around $60 and have the same views of the ocean for 9 of its holes.

The back at PG rivals any I've played. It's very short though. My low 18 was there. Was either a 76 or 77.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Good point. And I can go to a bar and watch the 49ers play in a Super Bowl on a 120 TVs, or I could buy one front row ticket on the 50 yard line. It's pretty much the same thing.
I wouldn't pay for Super Bowl tickets at the 50 yd line. I might spring for PB though.

🔥 Latest posts