• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trying some new irons

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
A few weeks ago I built a set of irons for a guy. He plays off an 11 hdcp and is a good ball striker, his short game is horrid or imo he would be a 3-5 hdcp.

He told me he had tried a buddies clubs and he really hit them well, but the shafts were graphite and he wanted steel. He still wanted them a little lighter however. The heads were Maltby CER 851um's, a nice game improvement iron with a thin topline and very little offset. They are a strange iron in that regard. I installed a set of spined and frequencied TT superlights (SL's) in them for him, added some pro soft inserts and threw on some golf pride tour velvet grips and they were done.
They are standard length (38 inch 5 iron) and swing weight at D2 except for the wedges D3 and D4.
To make a long story short these have been sitting here for over a week and I decided to take them out and try them (he is a lefty as well).
They set up real nice, dont look big and bulky like Callaways or anything, but still arent as sleek as a true players club. Top line is fairly thin, the blade is a bit longer, but is not distracting at all at address. They are cast not forged and have about 1/2 the offset of the Taylor Made R7 tp's. Again, I find this weird.
I have built quite a few of sets with these heads but never in LH, so I never really noticed how nice they actually looked at address.
So I warm up a bit with my Titty 690.cb irons and appear to be striking it pretty well. I pull out the 7 iron in this set and give it a go. Very nice I thought, suprisingly soft for cast and flew nice and straight. Felt very light compared to my heavy Titty's (it is amazing what a difference 30 grams makes). After a few swings I really took a liking to these. The SL shafts are real cool. They feel really tip stiff and hit the ball a lot flatter than my Black golds, but my clubhead speed was up almost 4 mph with these. After going back and forth with these and my Titleists I found that these were miles better on slight off center hits. On pure strikes the CER's were a bit lower flight and seemed to come off the face faster. It was the poor shots that really got me, what a huge difference.
So again to wrap this boring tale up. I ordered the components to build my self a set of these, 5-GW. I plan on keeping my 2 scoring wedges (55 and 60) and using my 3-4 hybrids still. Will these wipe out the Titty's completely? Hard to say. I will need some on course play to make that determination. So far I am impressed however as they deliver everything I want in an iron. Very little offset, forgiveness, and a lower wind beating ball flight.
Heres a few links to the stuff
http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_1225
http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_TT201105

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
looks really good. i used to live in columbus, very close to maltby's headquarters, and they make very nice clubs.

🔥 Latest posts