• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trying to break bad habits,

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
but getting worse in the process. In the past I got used to aiming right and hitting a draw/hook. I had probably too strong of a grip. I've been trying to straighten out the alignment and not have quite so strong of a grip. Also, I had the ball way back in my stance for clubs all the way up to 5i (kinda still do) and I still want to play them a bit back to promote the shaft being forward and a descending blow. I'm wanting to make these changes to diversify my game and make it easier to learn some other shots on command (fades) and just in general have reliable alignment. The problem is that on the course it's resulting in a mixed bag. I'm in the middle of something here and now it's going to be a while before I get back the consistency I had (used to shoot low 40's for 9 regularly) because i'm in between what was reliable for me and what's more correct and will probably help in the long run.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
The poster helping jim that described swinging into an imaginary 2 ft hill on the far side of the ball so you brushed it about halfway up as you come through had a good idea. Brush it on the way down and it fades. Brush up on the way past the ball and it draws.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
The poster helping jim that described swinging into an imaginary 2 ft hill on the far side of the ball so you brushed it about halfway up as you come through had a good idea. Brush it on the way down and it fades. Brush up on the way past the ball and it draws.
Still not sure i understand that drill

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
but getting worse in the process. In the past I got used to aiming right and hitting a draw/hook. I had probably too strong of a grip. I've been trying to straighten out the alignment and not have quite so strong of a grip. Also, I had the ball way back in my stance for clubs all the way up to 5i (kinda still do) and I still want to play them a bit back to promote the shaft being forward and a descending blow. I'm wanting to make these changes to diversify my game and make it easier to learn some other shots on command (fades) and just in general have reliable alignment. The problem is that on the course it's resulting in a mixed bag. I'm in the middle of something here and now it's going to be a while before I get back the consistency I had (used to shoot low 40's for 9 regularly) because i'm in between what was reliable for me and what's more correct and will probably help in the long run.
I play the ball just left of center for wedges and progress towards the front foot as irons get longer.

I went to a more neutral grip this year to in order to release the club better, check out Mark Crossfields video on the grip.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.