• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

trying to fill a gap...

Gators

Aug 9, 2006
Right now I am carrying 4 wedges, 9i thorugh 5i, 3-5-7 woods, and a driver. I hit my 7i about 155, 6 iron 165, then my 5i 170 but im not to consistent with it. I am very accurate its just my distance for my clubs aren't that great. I am pretty decent with my woods, my 7wood 21* is probablly 190-200, and 5 wood a little over 200. So as you can see I have a pretty big gap of about 20 yrds. I am thinking of just trading in my 3 wood and using that money to get a club to fill the gap because im fine with a 5 wood of the tee. Im assuming a hybrid will do the trick for me right? If so what degree would be best. Are the hybrids more like hitting an iron or a fairway wood?

steve

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Steve,

Your 7 wood is probably 22*, so something like a 24* hybrid would do the trick.

Have you hit any of the following? These are nice choices, in my opinion:

Cleveland HALO 4I
Callaway Heavenwood 4H
Sonartec 4I
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 5I

Have a go with some of these, they should fix that gap.

R35

OP
G

Gators

Aug 9, 2006
Rockford35 said:
Steve,

Your 7 wood is probably 22*, so something like a 24* hybrid would do the trick.

Have you hit any of the following? These are nice choices, in my opinion:

Cleveland HALO 4I
Callaway Heavenwood 4H
Sonartec 4I
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 5I

Have a go with some of these, they should fix that gap.

R35

thanks,

Today at the store I was looking at the tour edge jamx iron wood and the nickent 3dx ironwood. The only thing is that im a left and they dont have any lefty clubs that I can demo.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I hit my irons the exact same last year when I went through the same predicament, and carried the exact same club setup. Although at the time I carried a 20* G2 7w that would go between 200-210. I cannot say enough good about the 23* Baffler. It is the best club in my bag and no longer carry my 5i as I hit a choke down baffler with more consistency than the 5i. I hit it roughly 185-190 with a full swing. I think you will want to look in the 22*-24* range. I also own the 1i and 2i Halo which I bought this year to replace my FW because of the reliability of my hybrid, which I chose over the baffler simply because I wanted graphite and did not care for the weight of the graphite on the stock baffler. I hit the 2i Halo about the same or 5 yards longer than my old 7w, and the 1i about the same or 5 yards longer than my old 5w. I would guess based on this that the 4i Halo may work to fill the gap as Rock mentioned. At the time I also tried out the 24* Hogan, which was similar in distance to the 23* Baffler.

edit 1 - I mentioned in the beginning that I hit "the exact same last year" because I have probably taken 10 yards off all my clubs this year by easing up on my swing to gain consistancy, which has help in my scoring.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Gators said:
Today at the store I was looking at the tour edge jamx iron wood and the nickent 3dx ironwood. The only thing is that im a left and they dont have any lefty clubs that I can demo.
I also demoed the 24* J-Max at the time, it seemed to hit about the same distance as the Baffler or Hogan, although it hit with a slightly higher trajectory.

OP
G

Gators

Aug 9, 2006
FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
I also demoed the 24* J-Max at the time, it seemed to hit about the same distance as the Baffler or Hogan, although it hit with a slightly higher trajectory.

So the jmax seemes pretty decent compared to the other hybrids you hit? If I like which ever hybrid I buy I may get 2 more to subsitute for my 5 and 7 wood. Mainly because I could use the hybrid out of the rough and fairway bunkers or at least that is what I have heard.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Gators said:
So the jmax seemes pretty decent compared to the other hybrids you hit? If I like which ever hybrid I buy I may get 2 more to subsitute for my 5 and 7 wood. Mainly because I could use the hybrid out of the rough and fairway bunkers or at least that is what I have heard.
I was actually pretty impressed with the J-MAX, and it was much cheaper. Although the trajectory was a little higher than what I cared for, that may not necessarily be a bad thing for many. I am also not sure it was as consistant with distance as the Cobra or the Hogan. If memory serves me, it had a tendancy to be a little longer at times. I also do not recall ever hearing a bad thing about the 23* baffler, and have actually heard from most who own one that it is the best club in their bag, myself included (next to my putter)

I am certainly happy I went to Hybrids from FW's, and it has reflected on my Handicap. Although my intent was to replace 3 FW's with 2 hybrids, and get one closer to a 4w, there was just nothing out there I could demo that I liked that was much longer than my 5w (which the G2 is somewhat strong), so I still have my 3w in my bag.

I heard that the Sonartec was probably the longest by many, but I also heard the lower lofted models were not desirable out of the rough, and even harder to hit out of the fairway. I certainly find the 16* and 19* Halo's more desirable out of the rough than my fw's, although my fw's were never bad out of the rough just not as consistent in general.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Don't know if my opinion carries any weight here, but I second Jayhawk's recommendation about the 23-deg. Baffler.

I've played these hybrids:

Nike CPR
Hogan CFT
Cleveland Halo
Callaway Heavenwood
TaylorMade Rescue Mid

None of them are as good as the steel-shafted 23-deg. Baffler. It is definitely the most consistent and rewarding club in my bag.

I don't know about the graphite-shafted model.

OP
G

Gators

Aug 9, 2006
Today I picked up a 24* jmax. I liked the feel of it and I was hitting it very well on the range. I filled my gap perfectly. Now im thinking of trading in my 7 wood 21* and picking up a 21* jmax just because its so much easier to hit. I was wondering is it possible to hit these out of bunkers and get some quality shots with them?

steve

CybrSlicr

Aug 30, 2004
((I was going to suggest the Taylor Made Rescue Mid as it is down around $100 now, but I see you have purchased one so I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine))

I am able to hit my Taylor Made Rescue Mid hybrids from absolutely anywhere. Very easy to swing. I have a 3R (replaces 3I), 4R (replaces 4I) and a 5R (replaces 5I). I hit them from the tee box, fairway, deep rough, chip with them, close and hood them for punch shots. I haven't found anywhere I can't use them yet (except putting)...

🔥 Latest posts