• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trying to fix a real flaw.

rhubodach

Feb 13, 2013
Okanagan
Country
Canada Canada
In one aspect I'm ready for the upcoming golf season, practice ranges are about a week away from opening and I would expect to play my first round in about 3-4 weeks ( weather permitting ).
Equipment ,,, I was just fitted for new woods, driver and three wood ( Cobra AMP ) my trusty Tour Edge # 4 hybrid, my Ping i20 irons my Nike wedges and last but not least my trusted Nicket putter.
I've been working indoors with a buddy trying to fix a flaw I've had in my game for years, straightening my right leg on the backswing.
No question I've certainly got away with it over the years but I really want to fix this. We have video taped our sessions, it is very pronounced so has any one ever had this issue and if so is there a fix ?( and I do practice and work on it but it just doesn't work ).

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
The most perfect swing... The most beautiful pose after the swing... The closer your swing is to 'textbook' in no way guarantees you being closer to the hole. The goal of this game is to get the ball down in the fewest number of strokes.

Attempting to improve your game through fixing swing faults is commendable. Just don't get so hung up you have paralysis through too much analysis!!!! It's a game. Enjoy the adventure!!!!!

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
In one aspect I'm ready for the upcoming golf season, practice ranges are about a week away from opening and I would expect to play my first round in about 3-4 weeks ( weather permitting ).
Equipment ,,, I was just fitted for new woods, driver and three wood ( Cobra AMP ) my trusty Tour Edge # 4 hybrid, my Ping i20 irons my Nike wedges and last but not least my trusted Nicket putter.
I've been working indoors with a buddy trying to fix a flaw I've had in my game for years, straightening my right leg on the backswing.
No question I've certainly got away with it over the years but I really want to fix this. We have video taped our sessions, it is very pronounced so has any one ever had this issue and if so is there a fix ?( and I do practice and work on it but it just doesn't work ).

I'm really into video and fixing swing flaws through my own analysis but have found the older the flaw, the harder to fix. You can change something in your mind then look at the video and seemingly nothing has changed. I found the only way to kick such bad habits was through the help of a PGA professional who was able to give me drills to ingrain these changes.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Is it really a flaw? If I remember right that is kind of a stack and tilt-ish move. I think I may do that. In trying to "fix" that you may run into other problems that you don't have now. For me with iron play I don't know if I actually lock the leg, but I think I do what you describe and it helps me in a couple ways. It keeps the weight forward and prevents swaying away from the target and having to recover on the downswing. There are different philosophies on what's right in the golf swing. I don't know if it's "right", but I started doing what you're talking about a while back and it helped me maintain angles and eliminate some movement.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Is it really a flaw? If I remember right that is kind of a stack and tilt-ish move. I think I may do that. In trying to "fix" that you may run into other problems that you don't have now. For me with iron play I don't know if I actually lock the leg, but I think I do what you describe and it helps me in a couple ways. It keeps the weight forward and prevents swaying away from the target and having to recover on the downswing. There are different philosophies on what's right in the golf swing. I don't know if it's "right", but I started doing what you're talking about a while back and it helped me maintain angles and eliminate some movement.
Stack and tilt keeps the weight centered over the ball and front leg if I remember correctly!

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Another good example Jim is watch a Zach Johnson vid. His rear leg does virtually nothing until the ball is long gone.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Right, and straightening that back leg is like a fixed way to keep that weight forward. Stand on just your right leg and twist backwards once...
Right but I think all the weight stays on the front leg, not the back. I could be wrong though?

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Right but I think all the weight stays on the front leg, not the back. I could be wrong though?
It's not that you're keeping the majority of your body weight on that leg, more the opposite. When you straighten that leg and not the other it shifts your body weight forward automatically. Kind of like a person with one leg longer than the other.

The other thing it does is even up the shoulders from having your left hand higher on the grip.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
It's not that you're keeping the majority of your body weight on that leg, more the opposite. When you straighten that leg and not the other it shifts your body weight forward automatically. Kind of like a person with one leg longer than the other.

The other thing it does is even up the shoulders from having your left hand higher on the grip.

Got it! I know I tried it once and it hurt my back so I didn't try again!

🔥 Latest posts