• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trying to make college team

tannerman200

Aug 10, 2006
Hello everyone,

I have read many things on the site but haven't posted that much. Just wanted to ask a few questions. I have been playing golf for about a year and been taking it seriously for about 4-5 months. My goal is to make my college team next year and play for the last two years of college. Just wondering what kind of scores do I need to be averaging to have a shot. Probally low nineties right now, but getting lessons. Thanks for the help.

BoarderDave

SoCal Golfer
Aug 24, 2006
Torrance, CA
Country
United States United States
Im not too positive.. I never got a chance to try for college team (I go to a tech school and we have no sports teams.. :() But I would assume their looking for under 80's..

Again.. Im not positive.. but that would be my guess. If you can consistantly shoot under 80 I would think they would pay attention to you.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
If you're already in college try to talk to the coach. Most of the high school kids I know that have tried to play in college were all close to scratch and they couldn't get a school to look at them.

A couple of them even did ok at state. It's tough.

BoarderDave

SoCal Golfer
Aug 24, 2006
Torrance, CA
Country
hmm... maybe my local college that I had thought about was easier than others.. it was a pretty small town college. :confused:

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I used to play with a guy that played for a small college (UW-Whitewater) and he was scratch or better. Held the amateur record at Black Wolf Run for years. Wish you luck!!

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
My neighbor just got back from college at UW Whitewater and was on the golf team which suprised me because I can beat him and he shoots mid to low 80s.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
You will need a plus handicap...meaning you shoot below par fairly often...plus you need well-documented hgh performance in regional tournaments to even get a look from any decent program.

Sorry.

Try for an academic scholarship.:)

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
More perspective. My nephew is 14 and plays to about an 8. He is a freshman in HS this year, and shot 85-85 in tryouts for the school team. He made JV.

Two of his friends are also freshman and are low single digits, one scratch. They did make varsity.

The competition is getting tougher, younger.

sidvicious

Jul 8, 2005
from what i know by reading the news and soaking up from a few that have played college golf, most small colleges that would accept a mid 80's score wouldn't have a team to begin with, at least no team with school supported funding.

the guys i know who've recently played in college are all fine scratch golfers. they're hard to beat.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Collegiate golf is incredibly hard, and you have to make a name for yourself. I work with my college's golf team, but as I got my name in a little late, I won't be able to compete this year. A little about myself...I'm sitting at about a 2.4 handicap(This excluding my home course and all course within city limits, i.e. ones that I rarely play).

It is incredibly difficult, and while some colleges may be more accepting, it still takes a lot of rigerous work.

chollyred

Mar 9, 2006
Here's what your current golf team is shooting...

Men’s Golf Places 10th at SoCon Championship
by Appalachian Sports Information

April 18, 2006 - Complete Final Results
HOLLYWOOD, S.C. -- Appalachian State University men’s golf closed out its season with a 10th place finish at the 2006 Southern Conference Championship at the Links at Stono Ferry near Charleston, S.C.

Appalachian shot rounds of 305, 314 and 314 for a team total of 933 (+69), 66 shots back from league champion Georgia Southern’s three-over-par 867.

Seniors Brady Eckard and Drew Davis carded three-over-par 75s in Tuesday’s final round to lead the Mountaineers. Eckard tied for 30th in the individual standings with a 12-over-par 228 (79-74-75) and Davis tied for 35th with a +15 231 (75-81-75). Junior Ronnie Christopher (75-80-82-237 +21, T-42nd), freshman Taylor Hines (76-82-82-240, 45th) and senior Dan Gossin (80-79-84-243, 48th) rounded out the scoring for the Apps.

Western Carolina’s Matt Cook claimed the individual title with a five-under-par 211

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.