• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Turning a Grip

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Alright, well the problem here is my putter grip is turned about 20 degrees to the right... It poses some problems, and most likely is the main contributor of the fact that i cant make any putts right now, EVERYTHING, and i mean everything, is right around the hole, usually just left of the cup (...because of the shut clubface). My actual stroke is about THE BEST it has ever been in my life right now.

To my question. How can i do this without ruining my grip, because i know its possible, it'd be the same im guessing when a clubfitter saved my grips for my irons when he lengthened them. But i want to do this myself so im not spending 20$ for a maintenance fee plus the 20+ dollars of gas id be paying to get out to the GolfTown where i know he can actually save my grip.

Any opinions ideas? I really want to save this grip because it is now molded very nicely and feels absolutely perfectly how i like it now (after a year and a bit of use).

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Without the proper tools you cant do it.

You need to inject solvent under the grip then use a air compressor with grip removal tool to do it. Even then you'll only save about 70% of them.

OP
Sandpiper3

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
May I suggest twisting the putter face 20º?:D

Would you do that to a scotty cameron TCG?

Alright, thx Lyle. I guess ill have to bring it in asap. Its bugging me how low i could have actually gone the last two rounds if my putter was aligned properly.

Jun 24, 2006
Would you do that to a scotty cameron TCG?

Alright, thx Lyle. I guess ill have to bring it in asap. Its bugging me how low i could have actually gone the last two rounds if my putter was aligned properly.

A cameron? sure..my 2 bar mallet? no god damn chance.:D

OP
Sandpiper3

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I went to the shop, and they said, because its a putter they apparently make the grips on tighter and that they would have an extremely tough time turning the grip and saving it...

I have one more store to check before i resort to a new grip or sending it out to my pop in vancouver to check some of the better places out there.

Idea i had though, theoretically, if i used a really good hairdryer up and down the grip for awhile and then kinda muscle turned it myself, theoretically would that workout very well? Opinions?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I went to the shop, and they said, because its a putter they apparently make the grips on tighter and that they would have an extremely tough time turning the grip and saving it...

LMAO, they really told you this? Amost all putter shafts are .580 butt, and almost all putter grips are .580 id. How can they be tighter LOL.

Idea i had though, theoretically, if i used a really good hairdryer up and down the grip for awhile and then kinda muscle turned it myself, theoretically would that workout very well? Opinions?

Sorry wont work.

You need to get solvent down the entire inside of the grip to loosen the tape.
Is it a cameron grip?
If not. A new putter grip is under $10 installed. Why not just put a new one on?

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
When I went to Dana Upshaw last year for a clubfitting, he said that 95% of the new putters he got in had the grips misaligned. :(

He had a neat setup for putters: a jig he set he club in, aligned the face to a calibrated grid, then used a laser to align the grip as he put a new one on.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
First question. How did it get turned in the first place? Seems kind of strange. Did they install it that way?

Second thing, you say you really want to save the grip because it is molded very nicely and fits perfect. I would only imagine once you turn this grip 20*, it is no longer going to be molded nicely or feel nearly as good, but instead may create even worse problems were it may cause you to twist the face at impact to meet how it is molded, or not position your hands correctly. It is molded nicely to match your corrections to a 20* error in grip placement.

Personally, I would eliminate that chance and rip the grip off and start from scratch with a new one. Actually, for what you pay for a Scotty Cameron I would make them do it for free. If you had the grip done by someone else, I am not sure I would go back there if 20* errors are acceptable. The main reason I started gripping my own clubs, I am likely more meticulous with my own clubs, than someone else. Although after hearing on here about several guys recommending using a level on the face, and then on the grip, it seems there are guys on here more meticulous than I, that obviously take great pride in what they do. Something I will remember next time I grip my putter.

After doing it that way, I know that I could only blame myself for missed shots.

OP
Sandpiper3

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
The grip was turned because during the summer i usually left my clubs in my truck, which this past summer heated up to 51*C one day when it was sitting out there (i was hiding in the pool:D) and i take the putter out of my bag for some strange reason when i put it into a car, and it got caught when my moron of a sister put something in the trunk and i guess the solvent loosened and turned a bit.

When i bought it it was perfectly aligned, i had it laser leveled after i got it. The way i meant molded to my hands is that the grip is worn in certain areas on the grip where i keep which finger and more pressure where (ive been using the same grip almost forever, switched back and forth, but always back to this grip)...

I dont know, im thinking that a new grip is the only real option left... Lol, not shelling out the dough for a SC grip... Ill just get the ping grip and blacken in the ping lettreing:p

OP
Sandpiper3

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Second thing, you say you really want to save the grip because it is molded very nicely and fits perfect. I would only imagine once you turn this grip 20*, it is no longer going to be molded nicely or feel nearly as good, but instead may create even worse problems were it may cause you to twist the face at impact to meet how it is molded, or not position your hands correctly. It is molded nicely to match your corrections to a 20* error in grip placement.
PA Jayhawk

No worries of this at all, my stroke is perfectly 100% back and through, square to square. It took so long to get it down and get the unusual motion to seem normal, but ive grooved it pretty well now.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Sandpiper

Try this as it couldnt hurth any

Squirt some solvet (a fair bit) into the hole at the top of the grip
Next, use a coat hanger dipped in solvent and try and slide it under the grip from the bottom. Keep the hanger tight to the shaft so you dont bugger the grip. Get it in as far as you can and lift it upwards a bit. Try and squirt solvent into the gap its creats. Do this moving around the grip untill the whole circumference is saturated with solvent.
After a few minutes put the hanger back in and see if you can slide it up a little further. If yes, repeat the process.
In a few minutes (1-10) the grip should be loose enough to turn or remove entirely.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.