• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tweaking driver

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Because I hate the sound of my Hogan driver so much, I temporarily removed one of the weights and stuffed the head with 10 gms of cotton balls.

Result: now a kinda dead sounding THWACK, but I was making a better connection with the ball as well. I hit it farther and straighter than I ever have before.

I need to measure the swingweight, but between shortening the shaft an inch, the lead tape, and the cotton, I'll bet it's at least a C5. Anybody else like heavy drivers?

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
You call C5 a heavy driver? :confused:

For my part, I'm always finding ways to make it lighter.... If I could make an A1 :)

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Sorry, I meant D5. Brain Fart! :)

I have the previous measurements at work. I'll try to remember to reweigh this club tomorrow when I go in.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Doc, I changed shafts in my Hogan to a UST V2 75. It's become a totally different club. Ball flight lower & longer. I hit 13 fairways today. Couldn't chip but I hit fairways.

How'd you get that plug out?

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
How'd you get that plug out?

Kelly hemostats clamped with a big needle holder. :D The tungsten one was the only one I could loosen, the aluminum ones were too soft. I really didn't care if I ruined the head, as I hated it so much. If it quits raining, I'm gonna try it on a course today.

I think I am gonna have Rick Terzio build me a driver, maybe with Wishon head, afte the first of the year.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
Doc,
I am a complete idiot on club materials and design (am so ignorant play from the wrong side of the ball :) )
But if your messing with the clubs anyway and not worried about more weight or ruining the club- try expanding spray foam instead of cotton? i thought all the drivers were filled with that stuff anyway so what do i know. that great stuff foam would add a bit more weight than cotton but seems to expand pretty dog gone even in my experience (i.e. no unbalanced weight). and if you dont like the result and can live with the mess i think gas or acetone would dissolve and rinse it out of the cavity. Dumbest idea you ever heard?
peace

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Not a dumb idea, but I did read on another forum that high temps (like clubs left in car) could cause breakdown and rattling.

Besides, as one of my vet school horse teachers said "use lots of bandage material: support the Alabama cotton industry"

Don

Aug 23, 2005
I like high swing weight clubs. My irons are D6 and my drivers, the ones I've built at least, are the same. I've heard of using the expanding form idea also. from a guy working in the tour van on the Championshio tour. They can install weight inside the head to get the ball flight the way they need it, and then add the foam to hold the weights nice and tight inside. No more worry about the weights moving with the foam in there.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I just checked the modified Hogan: total weight 330 gms with a swingweight of D9. I may have overdone it a bit. :)

It still sounds loud, but not titanium tingy, more like a wooden baseball bat.
People do at me strangely when they hear it.

I hit 9 of 14 fairways yesterday, with just average distance. Never did feel like I got a sweetspot hit.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.