• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Two down with four to play...

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Not to try and outdo young Jeff, but I had my own big match yesterday. The final of the Matchplay Championship at our club.

(Please forgive me for the long rant that is to follow).

64 players to qualify from a medal event and then 6 knock-out matches including the final, played over the past few months. Well by hook or by crook I managed to make my way into the final and I was drawn up against a guy that has won it twice before. A 5 h/c with some solid game. I know him fairly well and have played with him a few times before.

Well the tee was reserved for us. A 1.15pm tee-off in fair but windy conditions. Course was in excellent shape, thanks in part to a lot of recent rain. Our greens right now are as nice as I have ever seen them.

I had a good warm-up with my 36 hole adventure with Irish on Friday. I decided to keep the old SC faithful in the bag. I need to spend more time with the Odyssey Black so Scotty is still "in da bag" for now.

Anyway we had a nip and tuck front nine, the golf not stellar but not bad either. I missed a few putts, he hit a few loose shots. We were both +5 for the front nine. In fact it was a tight game with noting in it until 14. A par 5 into the wind. I sort of messed it up, deciding to hit 3 wood from the tee and not getting all of it. I ended up losing to a 5 to go two down.

So that was two down with four to play. Not a great place to find yourself. I had a good talk to myself on the 15th tee. Play the last 4 holes as well as you can and see what happens. Don’t give up, make him win it rather than me lose it.

Hole 15 is a 165 par 3, with the wind whipping right to left and slightly behind. He was on the tee first and I’m sure he was saying to himself “Make sure to just hit the green here and it will be all over”. His son was caddying for him, and his brother came out to watch accompanied by none other than Andy_79. There were a few games out on the course that were starting to pay attention as well. Word was getting out that it was a close game.

He took a lot of time talking to his son about club selection. He obviously was feeling the pressure of the occasion too. He proceeded to hit it heavy, a poor tee shot short of the green. I thought it was in heavy rough (turns out he got a break and had a good lie with a straightforward chip).

So the focus turned to me. JUST HIT THE GREEN! I knew what club to hit and I managed to put a good swing on it. I played it out right to allow for the wind and at one point it looked like it was going to stay out right, but the wind brought it back perfectly, the ball pitching on the right side of the green and ending up 12ft. behind the hole. Suddenly I saw some light at the end of the tunnel. I had a good go at the birdie, just running by on the left side, but it turns out par was enough to win the hole as my opponent missed from about 12 ft. for his par.

BACK TO ONE DOWN WITH THREE TO PLAY!!

Hole 16 is 420 yards and was into the teeth of the wind. I knew I needed a good drive to carry onto the plateau fairway. I didn’t get it on the sweet spot but thought I had enough to get it on top. Sadly (unknown to me at the time) my drive pitched on the hill a mere yard or two short and rolled back down the hill to leave me ~200 yards to the green. He hit a poor drive that was never making it up but it ran well and ended up quite close to me at the bottom of the hill. He hit first, a good four wood but it was short right of the green.

I had a tough shot, I had to hit my hybrid, but wasn’t sure if I could get it up in time to clear the plateau. Turns out I couldn’t. I hit the bank and it took the juice out of it, leaving me 60 yards short of the green.

My heart was racing and again I thought I had blown it. But as I reached by ball, I thought if I can just get a good pitch in close, it would put pressure on his chip. I know this shot, having practiced it forever. I tried to play it as smoothly as I could and hit a lovely low flying wedge shot that spun up to about 5ft pin high. My hunch was correct as he hit a poor chip than ran 20ft past the hole. His approach put left him with about 4 feet, so I knew if I could just hole mine it would be HUGE. It was down hill, and I was conscious of not hitting it too hard. So I lined it up off the toe of the putter to deaden the hit. It came off the face perfectly and dropped dead centre of the cup for an unlikely four! I was all pumped up when the putt dropped.

ALL SQUARE AND TWO LEFT TO PLAY. GAME ON!

The 17th is index 2, 440 yards, with a crown green. It was me to tee off first and my heart was starting to pump.

I hit what I can only describe now as one of the best pressure drives I have ever hit. I reckon it was 360 yards!! That’s the furthest I have ever driven it on that hole, EVER!
My opponent hit a good drive as well, but he reached his drive, he couldn’t believe it when he found out where my drive was. He shouted over “Where are you?” and I pointed 70 yards past his drive.

We were down to crunch time now and he hit a good 2nd shot, but it was a couple of yards short and got swept down a large embankment.

Here we go, I thought. Just hit the green. At this point I was almost physically shaking and my heart was racing. I had to take several deep breathes the steady the ship.

I had a sandwedge telling myself to hit it to the heart of the green. Slow back, smooth through. I hit a lovely shot, it pitched on the green and started running at the hole. Then it actually CAUGHT THE HOLE and LIPPED OUT, running 5 ft past!! I nearly passed out!!

It’s funny how golf is so unpredictable. My opponent from nowhere hits one of his best shots of the day blindly chipping up the hill from 30 yards to 2ft. SO I had to hole the putt to win. It was an easy putt, dead straight. Back and through lad! I managed to knock it in followed by a Tiger fist pump!!

ONE UP WITH ONE TO PLAY, THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE!!

The 18th is 425 yards index 8. An easy enough hole on a calm day or down wind, but a tough finish into the breeze. So I am standing on the last, shaking, wanting to vomit, other bodily functions happening without my permission. All I was thinking was one good last drive, please!! And there was a four ball ahead of us so we had to wait. I was trying to take deep breathes and my mouth was all dried up. When it was time, I told myself to take a slow and wide swing and swing smoothly. And I managed to can one, right down the right side of the fairway, as good a drive as my previous but into a strong wind.

My opponent was obviously also bricking himself and uncharacteristically, he hit a short hook, leaving himself about 250 to the green. He managed to hit a majestic 4 wood about 20 yards short, I couldn’t believe how far he moved it from the rough and into the wind.

I faced a shot of about 185 to the pin, into the wind but downhill. The biggest danger was the bunkers left and right. I decided to choke down on a 4 iron and play a little punch in. Again my hands were shaking, but I knew if I hit the green I had a good chance of winning. I hit a great shot, pin high left, leaving me 30ft or so. I ran my first putt 4ft past, but his chip was not great, leaving him a 20ft. putt which he left short.

He immediately picked up his ball and my marker and shook hands.

I HAD WON!!! I played the last four holes in -1.

I went over to my car afterwards and basically threw up beside the car. I have never been so pumped in a game of golf before. My heart was racing, the adrenaline flowing etc. And I have to say I loved the feeling.

We went to the bar afterwards for a few well deserved drinks. In fairness to him, my opponent was a very gracious loser and he complimented my finish, as did a few others in the club, who were watching the game.

I have played in bigger games, more important matches and I sure in as much pressure, but I really wanted this and dug it out of nowhere. Andy_79 will tell you how pumped up I was over the last few holes!!

And that is where my season ends (probably). My wife is due next week, and my golf will be taking a back seat for a while. So it is nice to finish on a high.

Rant finished!:D

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Fantastic post!! (I'd like to see you and JEFF4i "get it on" someday)... :)

I have nothing but respect for you guys that can play under pressure. Of course I'll never have to worry about getting in that situation... :D

acarty

Future Pro!
Oct 13, 2007
Good work IG. I got knocked out in the first round! I had played a 36 holer the day before, and it was hellishly windy and drizzling, so I wasn't ready at all!

Sounds like a great match! Would've been something else to watch, I reckon!

Congrats!

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Excellent write up of a terrific finish, well done sir.

I've always found pressure to be even harder to handle in the wind, so major respect on your performance.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Cheers lads, I'm still dancing like a Leprechaun! :laugh:

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
Great finish to what sounds like a great competition all around for you. Congratulations.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Nice story IG!

How many times did you have to pee during those last 4 holes ;)

BTW - I want a rematch :D

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Congrats my man, that was a great account of the match in the manner of yer writing. I felt I was there with ya ... I even found myself skipping a line in yer post to see if you holed the putt!!

A great way to end a premature season, all the best to Mrs IG as she pushes out another children's allowance beneficiary ;) Keep in touch

🔥 Latest posts