• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

typical cost of lessons?

token_hottie

token_mommy... oops!
Jan 12, 2006
I am looking to get lessons soon and have been researching prices online and there seems to be a pretty wide range that people charge. What is a good hourly rate for lessons? Some of them offer video analysis so I would assume that gets added into the hourly rate as well...

Also, I am worried that I will end up with someone who is used to teaching fat old guys all day long and won't be able to capitalize on my strengths as a female, such as tempo, flexibility and athleticism. Is this a valid concern, and if so, how do I find an instructor who is a good "fit" for me?

I'd hate to drop a couple hundred on lessons and not feel like I got my money's worth.

Thanks guys :)

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I'd say about $40-$50/hr is about average.

I got a few 1/2 hour lessons that were about 25 bucks. Video analysis is key.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
token_hottie said:
Also, I am worried that I will end up with someone who is used to teaching fat old guys all day long and won't be able to capitalize on my strengths as a female, such as tempo, flexibility and athleticism. Is this a valid concern, and if so, how do I find an instructor who is a good "fit" for me?

Aren't you the cannonball with legs? :confused:

I imagine it might be related some to the area you're in, as in if you are located in an area where there are a large number of golfers with larger discretionary income, instructors would be able to push their rates higher.

I think getting video analysis would be a good idea, though, as it will allow you to see your swing, and you might find that it is quite different from your own impression.

chollyred

Mar 9, 2006
Before signing up for a series of lessons, schedule an introductory lesson (usually 30 minutes or so) to meet with a potential teacher to do an initial swing evaluation, to discuss their teaching philosophy, and to discuss your concerns. If you don't like the outcome of that meeting, move on to another teacher. Once you find a teacher you like, then think about the series.

Hope you have a lot of teachers in your area to choose from.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I was able to get a package of lessons for the wife for $125 for 5 half hour lessons at the local course. As she is just starting out, the video analysis was not even a consideration. Chances are that the cost per hour will go up with the more technological toys that are used. The lessons of an assistant pro will normally be cheaper than the head pro if you are looking to save a few bucks.

Best bet to find someone who is going to be able to work with you is to interview them. Nothing formal, but either go to the course and talk to them for a while or talk with them on the phone. See if they have worked with a lot of woman golfers or if they specialize in fat white dudes (like myself). I found my wife's instructor by just observing the different assistant pro's at my local course when I was on the range and then talking with the one I thought would be best for teaching my wife the game. I saw him teaching a children's clinic and he was extremely patient with the kids so I figured that he could handle my wife's short fuse. I went in one day when he was working the pro shop and just asked him questions on his teaching philosophy and how he would teach someone new to the game and decided that he would be perfect. He has been really patient with my wife and she is really enjoying learning the game.

Most importantly, decide what you realistically want to get out of the lessons and find someone that is interested in helping you get there.

Have fun!

vincel

Nov 28, 2005
Try to get a recomendation from golfers in your area that have taken lessons. Hopefully some friends have taken lessons and can point you in the right direction. As a female, if you take lessons from a male you will probably get alot of attention and alot of BS as well. To me a female instructor will be better suited for you because you wont feel like your getting hit on all the time.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Up here in PA and the last place I lived down towards Philadelphia lessons ran around 35-50 a 1/2 hour and 50-80 per hour. As far as instructors, it's hit or miss unless you can get a recommendation for someone in your area. I personally would recommend going to someone that works out of a course and not a driving range or Club seller unless it is someone you already know to be good. There are some really good private individuals, although I have found that the ones at a course make their money whether you are on the course or taking lessons as they have interest in the course as well, they also go through more of an interview process to get the job. Others usually only make the money by teaching lessons, and I have found they are sometimes overzealous to get you back soon. Again though, there are great private individuals but they are harder to find. As far as being a women, there are LPGA Pro's as well, however if you find a good instructor I don't think it will matter that much. My wife had pretty good luck with the same instructor, and she is left handed as well, which I think is harder for some to adapt to, moreso than being a women.

Good instructors are hard to come by, ones that just click with the way you play. We have lived up here 3 years and decided that for this year we will begin make the trip 2 hours south to our old area and pay probably $30 more an hour to see our old instructor. He has since moved to a much nicer course that is owned by the same place we started, so his rates are higher, but knowing he is a good instructor, we are convinced that he can show us in 1/2 what our other instructors could not do in 1 hour or at all.

Here is a list of Top 100 instructors, there is also a search, I would ask around. If you find one of the top 100 in your area, ask the price, figure that should be the most you should pay.
http://cgi.pathfinder.com/cgi-bin/golfonline/instruction/teachers/2005/bin/top100.cgi

OP
token_hottie

token_hottie

token_mommy... oops!
Jan 12, 2006
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast said:
Aren't you the cannonball with legs? :confused:

That's a vicious rumor being propagated by R35. There's not an ounce of truth to it. It's all in good fun though :)

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
If I were you.......

I give that driving range on Hebron Ave a try. A range pro would probably be less money, the facility, as I remember it, is a nice one and they probably offer video analysis.

Next I'd try a local course, Blackledge or Tunxis.

OP
token_hottie

token_hottie

token_mommy... oops!
Jan 12, 2006
They have replaced that range on Hebron with an apartment complex. It was a sad, sad day when I found out about it.

I am moving to Manchester next month, so I think I'm going to try out Manchester Country Club...

OP
token_hottie

token_hottie

token_mommy... oops!
Jan 12, 2006
I know. The balls were reasonably priced too. I've been paying $10-$12 a bucket at other places where I was only paying $7 there. Maybe that's just cause it's off season (I hope). MCC has a deal where they only charge $75 for unlimited range balls for the season, but I'm not sure if that deal is only good for members. I emailed them to ask and they haven't written me back. That was a month ago.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
TH, I'd actually advise trying to find somewhere that has a female instructor. One of the ranges near me (the one from The Shanks video) has a real top notch CPGA pro that is an excellent teacher. She's actually really good at teaching the men, too, but the women love her because she knows the body types and understands their swings.

Highline

Mar 7, 2006
token_hottie said:
Cool, thanks. I'll look for a lady.

Given your concern over anatomical differences between men and women, that is certainly advisable.

You rock!

🔥 Latest posts