• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Typical local courses, area around the green

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
I have been to a number of courses that in general are ok, to good.
But it seems there are good number of these course with lousy runoff-overshoot.
The kind where you lose the ball.
And the cart path is too close.

What gets my goat is that for quite a few of these greens, they had room to build them further from these kinds of hazards

from watching pro golf, they actually -seem- to have more room. Of course with some exceptions, but those are also large greens.

is this a. Pet peeve of yours because it’s one of mine.

OP
N

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
I also think it’s more fun and a challenge to have more room, but with a tall grass height.
That’s a ball in play.

Compared to a decent ball type in the creek .
And I don’t care to dig out some old pinnacle ball because 20 feet over and it’s gone.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
We've had issues with our 'surrounds' for a long time. The current greens super has been working hard to get them acceptable. It's tough. The grasses are different on the green vs. the surrounds. They need different amounts of water, fertilizer, etc. We just dozed out one green that had been giving trouble for years. Paid a firm to construct a new one. What we did there was put in a "double" sprinkler system. One set of irrigation heads waters the surround while the other waters the actual green. We hope that will help maintaining the surrounds.

Cart path proximity to the greens, on a public course, is an interesting topic. Have played on a couple courses where the cart GPS will begin beeping if you get the cart too close to the green. If you don't obey the warning, the cart will shut down. The high end course such as we see on television can place paths farther from the green than public courses. When a player does not follow the cart rules, he/she can be asked to leave the course. We constantly fight people wanting to drive carts too close to the greens. During most of the season, we have a painted red line 30 yards from the green. Carts are to remain behind that line at all times. Amazing how many simply won't follow that simple rule.
Each year we will have at least a couple greens driven over by motorized carts. Caught one last season and charged him $500. If someone pulls that stunt and we catch them, they either pay up or we will file a complaint with local law enforcement for destruction of property.
Was threatened by a member in 2019 when we had 'cart path only' signs up. Had been a really wet time and the fairways would be damaged with cart traffic. We were on 17 and saw him on 8 with his cart out in the middle of the fairway. We hollered at him and told him to please get the cart back on the path. He was going to kick our butts! He was banned from the course for one year, his membership for the remaining part of the year was forfeited. He was 'invited' to fight it in court. We've never seen or heard from him since.
Man! I went way off track. Sorry!

OP
N

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
Lol this was no tour course! Just a pita course!
No one likes losing golf balls so much.
It could have easily been designed better, and still let a golfer have a challenge.

🔥 Latest posts