• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ugh, enough already!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
But Garcia believes the high school student from Hawaii will struggle to make the halfway cut this week.

"Michelle is definitely an extraordinary player and hits the ball quite a long way for a woman," said Garcia.

"Hopefully she will do well this week but if she had a higher ball flight it would be a bit easier for her.

"It is not an easy golf course and her short game will have to be sharp. She struggled today to hit some of the greens in two."

Some of the game's leading players, including Australia's Adam Scott and New Zealand's Michael Campbell, believe Wie should first win on the women's tour before seeking to compete alongside the men.

R35

This is great stuff. Sergio being honest and making total sense IMO. I always wondered how she is physically powerful enough, regardless of swing mechanics, to be competitive on these monster courses. Now I see she really isn't. A lot of these par 4's on the long courses are par 5 distances at courses I play. Is he also saying that she is playing a high lofted driver? She would need to be able to get an 8-8.5* up in the air to really compete?

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
She is 16. How many 16 year old men could compete so well at a PGA Tour event? None. And for me the point is that she is not competing all that well. It's a sideshow act until she proves she can win something. No doubt it's good publicity for the events she plays in but that's getting old too.

It would not surprise me if she attempted Q-school once she graduates high school. It would not surprise me either. In fact, I'll be surprised if she doesn't try.

Would you all have to same issues if she earned her tour card via Q-School? If she earned her way onto the tour I'd be all for her, no problem.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Pompous Brit Alert

"My perspective on this is that the British Open is not called the Men's British Open, it is the British Open," she said.

It's not actually Michelle it is "The Open". The original and best. British Open indeed!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

4 Majors, The Masters, US Open, THE OPEN, US PGA.

Not trying to antagonize anyone so close to the Ryder Cup (honest) but THE OPEN is a special tounament - it's where it all began. Can you guys in the US on this forum start a whisper to get it called THE OPEN over there please? Go on.

Personally I am worried that Michelle could go the same way as Anna Kournikova whose looks destroyed her tennis career. If Michelle takes the spot of a guy who is trying to make his living in a tour event then I think that is wrong.

Rant over - beer anyone?

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Rant over - beer anyone?

Yes please! But not one of those shitty British beers....:D

JK, Stanters. I agree with your entire statement.

And I'm a big fan of the British, er, the Open. (I'm actually not, but I had to be to make the joke work. Get some trees already! LOL. ;))

R35

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Trees!!!????

You philistine - wind and dunes are all you need with 150 years of history whisting through your ears.

Carnoustie next year. :eek:

Now get the message across the border Rock.

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
Alright let me explain something: You (Euros) call it THE Open because to you, it was the beginning of the expansion in popularity of golf in GB and the rest of Europe.

We (big, hard headed Yanks) call it the British Open, because the tournament that marked the expansion of golf's popularity in America is the US Open, most notably Francis Ouimet's victory over Harry Vardon and Ted Ray (2 of the top Euro pros at the time ) in 1913.

It is not a sign of disrespect on our part, simply a difference in reverance placed on the 2 championships. And honestly, I, like most Americans, place the Open Championship is 3rd on my hierarchy of majors, behind the US Open and the Masters (close 1st and second) and ahead of the PGA Championship (seemingly forever destined to be the redheaded step child of the majors). Some say the Tour Championship is the unofficial fifth major, but I say it's the RYDER CUP!!!

Now, on to the K Club and VICTORY!!!!!!!

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
The Open 3rd?

The Masters is the worst. The people who run the club are horrendous and its too limited a field.

USPGA is obviously 4th

I think you can throw a hankie over the US Open and The Open - both are played at the best courses and the heritage gives the events a special feel.

The open 3rd out 4? No wonder Bush got in twice.....:rolleyes:

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Sorry Stanters, I'm with MAA also. It's a close 3rd, but third nonetheless.

What did Tiger shoot? A billion under par without using a driver? No thanks.

I'll take the US Open with the tricked up greens, tricked up rough, and par at a premium. The US Open is a choke-a-thon most every year, which is the best kind of golf to watch. Cink missing a 2 footer that would have gotten him into a playoff, Gore and Goosen shooting in the 80's and being dropped from coverage before they were done with the front 9, Mickelson's 3-putt at Shinnecock, and this year's finish was as good as it gets. How many guys choked? Furyk, Monty, and Phil to name at least 3 that I remember.

The Masters is and will always be #1. It's the first major of the year. It's held at the same course every year. It's a magnificently beautiful course. Everything about it is pompous and hoity-toity. The National is a course 99.9% of all golfers will never be able to play. There are only 4 minutes of commercials every hour, so you see a lot more golf during the limited telecasts. Plus, you are guaranteed Tiger will be in contention EVERY year until he's finally over the hill at maybe 58 or 60.

Sad, I know, but true.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Masters #1 by a mile

US Open a distant 2nd

Open Championship a solid 3rd, although I rank it much higher than most. Something about watching golf at breakfast :) The last few opens have been terrible with the scoring the way it is. I mean St Andrews and Liverpool?? They are a joke for these guys. I like it when the weather is bad tho :D

What was the 4th one again???

FYI - It's the Players Championship at TPC Sawgrass Stadium course (not the Tour Championship) that is considered the 5th US Major.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
To be honest I was just being a little mischevious with you....the trouble with our Open is that the courses need wind nowadays to make them a test. They are so old and short compared to other types of modern courses.
I'm not actually that big a fan of St Andrews as an Open venue - Troon, Sandwich and Carnoustie are the best closely followed by Muirfield and Turnberry IMHO.

Surprised at everyone's love of The Masters though. An invitational event #1? No denying the beauty and challenge of the course though. Normally provides a good winner and a tight finish. I'm going to sneak in one night and plant a load of dandelions in the fairways.

Best thing is I suppose that 3/4 Majors provide such different challenges. I watch and love them all.

Back to Michelle Wie though - I just watched her playing and she nearly has a skirt on which has upset some of the others as they must wear trousers. Shouldn't she abide by the same rules or is it just for more publicity/hype? It's virtually a belt for heaven's sake!!!

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Back to Michelle Wie though - I just watched her playing and she nearly has a skirt on which has upset some of the others as they must wear trousers. Shouldn't she abide by the same rules or is it just for more publicity/hype? It's virtually a belt for heaven's sake!!!

At +5 through 11 holes I don't think anyone will have to worry about her skirt after tommorow. Or, after today if she has to withdraw due to altitude sickness. ;)

Dale

English Hacker...
Aug 12, 2006
UK
When she touches Annika's track record on the LPGA, then and only then would it be justified for her to even attempt playing on the PGA Tour.

Nothing short of that will change my mind. Prove yourself worthy before assuming you should be there.

R35

Quoted for truth. This I totally agree with, whilst she is a very good golfer, at the moment I do get the slight impression she is trying a bit to hard to bite off more than she can chew. She is and will continue to get better and better, but when you compare her to Annika she has a long way to go yet.

Keep plugging, and when she becomes a world great, then she can look for bigger things, but at the moment she still has an awful lot to achieve on the LPGA - having said, she has done and is doing wonders for promoting the LPGA and making it stand up be seen a lot more.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Let's not forget that she's still only like 17 years old or something. She will dominate in due time.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Let's not forget that she's still only like 17 years old or something. She will dominate in due time.

The LPGA, perhaps.

But I do agree, let's give her 10 years to become.....cripes...as old as I am...

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004

Agreed, all I'm saying is for now she has no business thinking she can compete with the men. She needs to prove she can beat the women first.

Todays results. T147 with a +7. :dead:

EDIT: What are odds of her new caddie still being employed by the end of this tournament?

Members online

No members online now.