• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

UK media now declare Faldo captaincy

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
as a disaster

Lots of articles on Monty recently, he was a 50/1 long shot only a week ago, now he is getting the job and its a done deal.

When you read these pieces there are more and more little snipes at Faldo, disaster, terrible, all sorts of things

Criticisms of the family he had with him, the son opn the cart, the DJ Spoony thing, the terrible press conferences and also the fact that Ryder Captains make to much money personally from endorsements.

They now seem to have relegated his captaincy to the history books as a gravy train for him and his family, a family holiday and a bit of golf on the side

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
This is what happens when you are expected to win. The press over here did the same to Hal Sutton. Of course, Lehman was left off the hook, but he gave the impression that he work 20 hours a day on it for the previous year.

Does the press mention that Faldo didn't play in the event? Or that the winner of 2 straight majors didn't win a point?

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
This is what happens when you are expected to win. The press over here did the same to Hal Sutton. Of course, Lehman was left off the hook, but he gave the impression that he work 20 hours a day on it for the previous year.

Does the press mention that Faldo didn't play in the event? Or that the winner of 2 straight majors didn't win a point?

Now, now, you know the British tabloids aren't going to let little things like facts get in their way. Unfortunately, the same thing is becoming a lot more prevelant on this side of the pond too.

nixdad

Mar 4, 2008
The Europeans got so accustomed to winning, now that they lost, they needed a scapegoat. Nevermmind the fact that the US just outplayed them and KICKED THEIR ASSES!

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
If Paddy and Sergio had showed up and J.B. was playing the kind of golf he is right now they'd be singing his praises. I'm glad it didn't happen that way. Instead Kim stomped a mudhole in Sergio and I don't know what happened to Paddy.

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
I'm glad Faldo got was coming. He's always come across as a self centred me,me,me type of guy. He tried to make the Ryder Cup all about him, and it blew up in his face. I didn't know about his rorting, but doesn't surprise me at all. He represents what the rest of the world hates about the English (not saying the rest of the world hates all English people, just pompous arses like him).

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
What's really funny about it is how Azinger is with him too. I've heard their relationship has always been wierd, but Azinger acts Extra American around Faldo. Anyone who watched the sony knows what I mean. When Azinger sat in with the broadcast table talkin about trimming branches for J.B. Funny as hell.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
When Azinger sat in with the broadcast table talkin about trimming branches for J.B. Funny as hell.

Must have had to be there? As for Pompous arses, I believe if you look it up in the new Oxford English it just says "Tony Kim"?.... now that lad right there is an arse!

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
On one of the holes there was a tree about 300 out from the tee box that J.B. Holmes wanted a branch chopped off. Of course Zinger got it done a couple days before the tourny. The other comentator and Zinger were chuckling about it while Faldo was just shaking his head. The whole conversation was about all the things Zinger did or had done to favor the Americans. I'm sure that goes on both ways though. Maybe you did have to see it. Just funny to see Faldo's face.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
On one of the holes there was a tree about 300 out from the tee box that J.B. Holmes wanted a branch chopped off. Of course Zinger got it done a couple days before the tourny. The other comentator and Zinger were chuckling about it while Faldo was just shaking his head. The whole conversation was about all the things Zinger did or had done to favor the Americans. I'm sure that goes on both ways though. Maybe you did have to see it. Just funny to see Faldo's face.

Gotcha now that is quite funny and Faldo is an arse of a man.

I heard a story once where he was playing a pro am. A golf mag journalist Caddied for Faldo and they got on great. Faldo was superb with his fellow players and the Journalist. This made the journalist think maybe all the rumors that he'd heard about Faldo being a tosser where wrong. After the round Faldo asked the Journalist if the bag was heavier than his own? The Jouralist said yes and Faldo said its because he carry's 18 balls one for each hole, spare gloves, thousands of tees, rain gear, water, food, the bags head cover, spare towels, everything he could need and a House brick!!! He opened the bag up and pulled the house brick out...They all had a laugh about it and Faldo signed the brick for the Journalist who had seen the funny side. They took a picture of them all with the brick for the mag. Faldo commented that he'd like to recieve a copy of the picture as a momento of the day. The Journalist wrote a glowing article that showed the lighter side of the World #1 and said people had percieved him wrong just because he seems very serious when he's in Tournament play. A few months later the journalist was at a Tournament and made a bee line for Faldo, he pulled a large glossy copy of the picture out and gave it to Faldo... Faldo looked him up and down and said 'what the f*ck do I want that for'?

This is a story I heard 2nd hand so maybe untrue but if it is infact true then it shows a lack of class from a man who shouldn't have been selected to Captain our Ryder Cup team.

🔥 Latest posts