• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Upgrading Iron Shafts, Worth the effort?

Stryker908

May 17, 2009
Hi All,

I have been working in improving my game, Last year it was all about my driver and putter. This year I'm working on bettering my iron play. I want to make sure that my clubs are set up properly.

In my bag right now:

Nike Sasquatch Sumo SQ
--- Average carry 308 Average Fairways hit 40-60%

Irons Nike Slingshot Tour's --- Currently VERY mixed results lots of "fat" and "thin" shots. 6 Iron average 160-180 yards

Putter Heavy Putter--- Average Putts per hole 2.3

What I am considering is upgrading to Graphite shafts on my irons to help increase club head speed, as well as adjust to ensure the proper length.

• A: How cost effective is doing this type of upgrade?
  • B: Is this something I will be able to do myself or is it pretty difficult to get right?

I would love some thoughts/advice.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
If you are carrying your driver that distance, you should be hitting a 6iron around 210-215yds.. I'd say definitely look into something like Project X 7.0's. There are no graphite shafts on the market that would be even near stiff enough. You could use X100's but would probably want to hard step them 2-3 times. That would mean using a PW shaft in the 8i so you'd need a new set of shafts. What shaft are you using in your driver? My playing partner has a SS capable of about 280 carry and uses an X flex tipped to just soft of double X flex for better control. You should be at XX flex easily or the shots would be moonballs all over the place.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Yeah, if your hitting your driver that far, your 6i even fat, should be more than 160-180.

I hit driver around 265, and my 6i is around 165.

I use S flex shafts, and S300 and PX 5.5 shafts in my irons.

If your wanting graphite, your going opposite of where you should be, because your numbers make no sense.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
:wow: Nike Sasquatch Sumo SQ --- Average carry 308 Average Fairways hit 40-60% :wow:

WOW, these numbers are better than Tiger's, Average carry 308!!! That means you carry it futher than that half the time!!! You'd be ranked 2nd on the PGA Tour just behind Bubba Watson...Although I'm not 100% sure but I think the Tour averages are for total distance, so you actually pi$$ on them;-

PGATOUR.com - PGA TOUR Statistics

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
:wow: Nike Sasquatch Sumo SQ --- Average carry 308 Average Fairways hit 40-60% :wow:

WOW, these numbers are better than Tiger's, Average carry 308!!! That means you carry it futher than that half the time!!! You'd be ranked 2nd on the PGA Tour just behind Bubba Watson...Although I'm not 100% sure but I think the Tour averages are for total distance, so you actually pi$$ on them;-

PGATOUR.com - PGA TOUR Statistics

He could mean feet not metres/yards?

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Yeah, it's kinda hard to help someone out, when they've already helped the numbers. :)

If I averaged 308 from my driver, I wouldn't care WHAT shaft I had in my irons. I'd be fine with an 8-PW, and wouldn't look back.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Be careful guys, you might not want to mess with a guy who averages 308 yard carry.

"Don't tug on superman's cape". :)

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
1. Go to the Equipment Value Guide on the PGA Tour website and check what your used set of Slingshots are worth. Consider that if, in fact, you are longer with your driver than all but one or two of the PGA professionals on tour... graphite shafts manufactured for the masses would not hold up to your pro + swing speed. You'd be looking at sophisticated shafts that could set you back a grand for the set by the time you have them manufactured for your game. Probably not cost effective.
2. If you, in fact, are outdriving the professionals who make their livings playing this game please don't make any attempt to do a reshaft yourself. With that extreme clubhead speed, a head flying off a shaft could be a deadly projectile. You need to be hitting clubs that have been assembled by professionals who know the epoxy utilized is of a strength class that will hold up under extreme stress.
3. With that kind of swing speed, look for a set of irons that have come from a tour van. Find a set equipped with something higher than 7.0 Rifles... preferably 7.3 to 8.0... or hard stepped X100's. The DGX100's, like used by TW, will have difficulty staying consistent under a player who averages 308 CARRY off the tee. A professional clubfitter can hard-step the X100's for you... or find some tapered galvanized pipe that could be substituted.
4. I must, respectfully, as one question. If you are carrying your driver 308, that means you are seeing roll out in the area of 350. That means you are either driving most of the par 4's... or are well within 100 yards of the green. So, you'd only be using irons for your second to par 5's... setting up your eagle putt... or on par 3's. Your best bet might be just going w/4 wedges from Vokey or Cleveland and not even messing with irons. With 350 yard drives, a 50 degree wedge should be good for 155 to 165 yards.

You say you spent lots of time concentrating on your driver. That is quite evident from the stated results. Find a set of irons set up for an aspiring tour pro... spend an equal amount of time concentrating on your iron game... and, keep us in mind when you begin winning those huge purses on the PGA Tour.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I imagine every shot you hit with an iron that is actually on the face goes about 200 yards straight up. I hit driver 265 and 6 iron 170 apprx., for reference. As ezra said, get the stiffest shafts you can find. Rifle 7.0 or twice hardstepped X100.

Apparently you are doing something right with the driver, as you are most likely the longest and straightest on the board.

I assume you have a stock shaft in your driver. Didn't know that Nike made shafts stiff enough to keep that swing under control...

Anyway, what I'm really trying to say is that I bet you have a HUGE dick.

PingZing2

Can you HACK it?
Jun 6, 2005
I imagine every shot you hit with an iron that is actually on the face goes about 200 yards straight up. I hit driver 265 and 6 iron 170 apprx., for reference. As ezra said, get the stiffest shafts you can find. Rifle 7.0 or twice hardstepped X100.

Apparently you are doing something right with the driver, as you are most likely the longest and straightest on the board.

I assume you have a stock shaft in your driver. Didn't know that Nike made shafts stiff enough to keep that swing under control...

:biglol::biglol::biglol:

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa

...and drives a Porsche.:biglol:

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Think I'd try one of these new fangled things if it wasn't just too flimsy for my swing speed of 235mph

precast-concrete-column3.jpg

Think its a bore through.....

OP
S

Stryker908

May 17, 2009
Useful site... I'm glad I decided to post here.../rolling eyes

the numbers I am using are from this weekend

10 Drives
Long 313
Short 287

301, 309, 295, 310, 303, 304, 299, 312

so I appoligize I guesstimated off just a bit .... 303.3 average...

Why the hell would I be bragging to a bunch of "dudes" on the internet? I dont care if you think I hit the ball 300 or 200, I was just looking for some advice regarding my irons and was trying to provide information that would be usefull in making that judgement....

God bless the internet :)

Cheers Thanks for the help!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.