• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

US Open - winning score?

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
Every year the players moan and groan about how tough the course is and this is no exception. Here are the winning scores since 1999:

-1, -12 Tiger/+3 everyone else, -4, -3, -8, -4, E, +5

It's raining in Pittsburgh today, so I'm thinking +1 or +2.

US Open scores at Oakmont:
1994: 279 (Els)
1983: 280 (Nelson)
1973: 279 (Miller)
1962: 283 (Nicklaus)
1953: 283 (Hogan)
1935: 299 (Parks)
1927: 301 (Armour)

Also, on the Golf Channel yesterday they noted that in 1927, #8 played over 250 yards. WHAT!?!? That makes today's 288 yards look like a cakewalk!

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
Every year the players moan and groan about how tough the course is and this is no exception.

This year might be a bit of an exception, reading today's features on the course - seems several of the players are suggesting it actually played harder during their earlier practice/familiarization rounds than it has this week, and that they thought the rough had been considerably cut down since they were last there.

From an AP story today:

"Perhaps the biggest disappointment was seeing rough actually shorter than when he [Mickelson] got hurt. Woods and Ogilvy noticed the same thing. Ogilvy was reported to have shot 85 last week while losing seven balls, but the Australian set the record straight.

"I think I shot 83 and lost two," Ogilvy said. "But it was hard. It was five shots harder last Monday than it is right now. I didn't think there would be one score in the 60s at all, and I thought there would be scores in the 90s the way we played it last Monday. But the last couple of days, it's been a lot more playable than that."

OP
cabinessence

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
Every year we are saturated with news stories about how difficult the course is -- remember Bethpage? Winged Foot lived up to the hype last year, but it's always had high winning scores. Since 1999 it's the only one to have an over-par winner.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I was listening to a Yahoo Sports interview online and they said that this is the only US Open course that the USGA makes no changes to for the tournament.

One guy said that the members play the greens with an average Stimp speed of 13.5 and the USGA simply tells the superintendent to 'cut em the way you do every week'.

Can you imagine puttting on that? Like a tabletop...My handicap would double.

They also said that when Oakmont orginally opened it was a treeless, links style course but in the 40's some member felt that they should plant some trees.

They planted 5400 trees then.

Since the last USOPen was played there, every single tree has been removed, restoring the course to its original state when it was opened.

Gonna be a fun tourney to watch....its all going to be about getting it below the hole and making the putts from there...I think we will see a few occasions where the ball will get halfway in and spinout 6-8 feet away.

We'll probably see a few fourputts too.

I pick -4 to win it.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
They also said that when Oakmont orginally opened it was a treeless, links style course but in the 40's some member felt that they should plant some trees.

There was an amazing article about this in one of the golf mags last month, showing lots of photos from the 1920s and the 1990s to show the difference it made to the course.

The most fascinating bit of the article was how the move to take the trees back down was started by some of the course's purists who felt the tree planting had taken the course well away from that which the original designer had designed. It was all put down to the natural masochism the members there have that makes them demand such ridiculously fast greens - the course was designed to be the hardest in the US, and they wanted it changing back to being that!

It seems the first few tree removals were done covertly and during the night, with no-one but a select few told they were happening. They'd take a few trees out every night and cover their tracks totally (removing stumps and roots, and landscaping the holes to make them 'disappear') in the hope that no-one would notice the gradual change until it was too late!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Also, on the Golf Channel yesterday they noted that in 1927, #8 played over 250 yards. WHAT!?!? That makes today's 288 yards look like a cakewalk!

With the clubs they had back then? 250 yards was a solid driver back then.

I think the winning score will be -3.

J.J.

May 13, 2007
i predict tiger is going to win it by -796830489 under and mickelson is going to be -796830488.. or maybe it could be the other way around.. who knows.. i dont really care i just want to see some good golf..

in all honesty.. i want to see sean o'hair get him a win

🔥 Latest posts