• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Used Wedges Question

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I had never been a fan about buying used golf clubs until I started posting in this forum (yes mates, it is your fault :D). I've bought some stuff and the results have been great. Now I'm in the market for some wedges, but I'm not sure about the difference between buying used and new. I've been finally offered a couple of CG14s like the ones I'm looking for, around an 8/10 condition for about $80. New they go for $109.

What real difference would grooves make in a used wedge from a new one? Is it worth thinking on buying new ones? How "much longer" would a new wedge last from an 8/10 one?

Thanks mates....

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
$80 for both? With wedges, I like to see them or at least really good pictures. It takes the average player a while to wear one out but I wouldn't want to get something someone has used to practice a ton with. Might as well just spend the extra $20 for a new one.

OP
xamilo

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Hehehehe No, $80 for one of them, instead of $119 ($109 plus shipping). I've seen them. IT seems they come from a good player since the only "used" part seems to be the exact center sweet spot. EZRA, if I take some pictures would you mind looking at them and giving me some advice?

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
OP
xamilo

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Why buy used when you can get a new one for $20. M-Series Milled Wedge Club Pak

1. I have played the CG14s and thought they were awesome
2. My experience with cheap wedges hasn't been the best, and I doubt your recommendation would be any different.

Thanks anyway

RC52

It's in the hole-ASSCLOWN
Mar 30, 2008
2. My experience with cheap wedges hasn't been the best, and I doubt your recommendation would be any different.

Thanks anyway

It's your money :D

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007

Thanks anyway

I've built a few different Maltby clubs and can tell you they are quality components. Don't let the price fool you - they're just spending less on marketing and don't offer a camo version :)

I had an all Cleveland bag when I joined this site - having done some research, it's now almost completely component

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
If you can actually see wear in the sweet spot, like that circle ballmark, I'd pass. That means the groove edges are flattened out. Either that or offer him less money. $80 is a little steep each. I could find them for under $100 new I bet and possibly with the shipping included.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I buy nothing but used wedges, normally pay $15-25 each for them from GG or Nevada Bobs.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Son-in-law recently bought two Mizzy "T" wedges. One was new and we couldn't even tell it had ever hit a ball. The other was 9/10... you could tell it had hit a few balls, but really could have passed for new. He paid $35/each on ebay. $80 each sounds a little high for used wedges.

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
I looked in Global Golf for example, and the price is around $70 for them. You have to realize I don't get the awesome used prices you get in the U.S....

Mates, what about this Ebay item here:

Cleveland CG14 Black Pearl 54* & 58* Standard Bounce - eBay (item 180352023579 end time May-29-09 18:35:20 PDT)

I think its a good deal; what do you think? Fakes?

Looks legit. Seller has 100% feedback for over 2,000 transactions.

BUT, seller only ships within US. Did you ask if he would ship outside? how much was the shipping quote?

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
Both of my Mizuno wedges were bought used and other than some slight nicks on the clubface, there was zero wear on the grooves when I bought them.
I bought them on Ebay and paid about $50 for each of them. When using a premium ball, my shots take 1 hop and stop dead in their tracks; so Id say the grooves are far from worn out.

🔥 Latest posts