• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

USGA Handicap Index

Ignite33

Sep 29, 2007
Hi,
I wondering if any of you have joined the USGA and have gotten a handicap index. I am a member of the USGA (junior member) and i wondering how i can get a legit handicap. Any help is appreciated.

Ignite.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
There is not really anything you need to do. If you belong to a course, they usually provide the service for free. If you do not belong, just go down to a local course that is nearby, and they will usually provide the service for around $25-35 a year. For it to be legitimate it must go through a golf course or club.

Not sure where you live, but many areas do not keep handicaps after October and through the winter, so you may need to wait until next year unless you live in a warmer climate.

Personally, if you do not have a course you frequent alot that offers the service, I would look for a course that either has online entry into the system or provides access to the computer to enter your own scores. It makes it a little easier to check and update.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Unless you are planning on playing tournaments where it's required to have an official handicap, why bother?

Lil_Huth

Sep 14, 2007
I have to make it a point to do that for real this coming summer and spring. I need it when I start looking into colleges. Like previously stated most courses will do it for pretty cheap, just pick a course you play a lot.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Unless you are planning on playing tournaments where it's required to have an official handicap, why bother?

Because some of us just like to be able to have it available as needed. If you wait until you need it, you probably won't be able to get it established quickly enough to qualify for the event, as it takes a minimum of 5 scorecards to get an initial index, and 20 scores to actually get a full index. I would maintain my handicap even if I didn't play in Club events, just to be ready when someone invites me to play in a member/guest or other such tournament. It simply gives one more options, and $25 to $35 a years isn't exactly a lot of money for the service.

I've carried a USGA handicap since 1989.

🔥 Latest posts