• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

USGA Verified handicap... clearification

flomarilius

Nike staffer :)
Jun 19, 2006
Hey guys,

Im looking for a bit of a verification when it comes to having an endorsed USGA Handicap. Does this mean I have to become a member of a club and the USGA? Or can I just submit my scores online to the USGA?

I currently use yahoo because I was not too sure on what to do :confused:.

Thanks,

Omar

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Usually you will join a club local to your state. Then you'll be issued a "USGA Handicap" through that local state club.

Though there are plenty of online clubs that will have the same thing, and usually for less than joining a full club. I always encourage folks to join their local Men's club. The events are fun and it's tough to win a club championship without being in a club. Tournament golf is the type of golf I enjoy the most.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
In VT if you are a USGA/VGA member you can play in state day tourneys of which each club in the state (even private jobbies) must host at least one. Cost is $20 and $50 for the posh clubs. It's a steal.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've found it to be a real pain. Last year I used Golfserve's online service but was told by a few people even that was not legit. It cost me $29.95 for the year. Around my area it's big bucks to be able to do it at a course. Men's club is over $400 and the list is closed anyway at the course I play most. That's for nothing over there, $400 you get to play in a couple tournaments and record your handicap, for that course. For $400 I want like a new Corvette or something should I win that tournament. :laugh: That's 2 months worth of greens fees.

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
i love how lucky i am. i pay 150 per year to play on a sweet semi-private course, i can play whenever i want, and all i want, and i can record my cap by simply typing my scores into the computer in the shop. i also get free range balls because 2 of my golf buddies work in the shop. green fees at my club are 30 bucks, and in the first week the course was open id playe enough alread to pay for my membership. damn ive got it good here.... JUNIOR MEMBERSHIPS:)

Lemonhead

Nov 1, 2006
Form your own club

For the purposes of Handicap, a club is defined (and I'm paraphrasing) as a "group of individuals". That's about it. I'm not even sure there is a minimum number of "members" requirement. There is a requirement to have a "committee" to review scores.

The bottom line is you don't have to join a country club to get a USGA handicap. "Club" is defined differently for their purposes.

Lemonhead

Poe4soul

Feb 3, 2006
Omar,

There are probably more clubs in your area than you are aware of. Here is the link to the managing association by state -
Associations On GHIN.

Check them out on line or drop them an email. I'm sure they would be glad to assist you in finding a club to become a member.

I currently a member of a club at a local golf shop / custom fitter I use. My neighbor plays on a club at his gym. As Lemonhead as said you can even create your own club. Granted I don't get reduced rates at a course or any benefits like advanced tee times but I only pay $30 per year and get 10% off gear at his shop.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Hold on here - we're making this much more complicated than it needs to be....

The USGA provides automated handicapping to the vast majority of both Private as well as Public golf courses in the U.S. "Club" has nothing to do with it at all.

These handicapping services are provided through the State Golf Associations, which are independently organized but have affiliation with the USGA.

Within each state, both private clubs and good quality public courses that are members of that state's Golf Association have access to the GHIN system, for a fee.

For those PLAYERS (regardless of private club or public course) who want to obtain a USGA handicap through the GHIN system - all they need to do is notifiy the golf staff that they want to join the GHIN network to get an handicap. The staff will then charge the Player an annual fee to use the GHIN system, which will have computers installed in the pro shop and/or locker rooms of that course.

You put in your scores and once a month the GHIN system (located at USGA HQ in New Jersey) will generate a new handicap index for you.

I think I pay $35 per year for this and it couldn't be easier. I can post in the pro shop, locker room and internet...

You can even print out an official USGA Handicap Card on the internet, cut it out and keep it in your wallet...

I did a quick check of our state golf association website (Alabama Golf Association - AGA) and figured that 25% of AGA "member-courses" are PUBLIC...

So you don't need to be a member of a Club at all...just go to your favorite course and ask the staff if the course is a member of your state golf association. If it is - ask them if they use the GHIN system for handicapping.

Then, its a no-brainer.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The USGA does stipulate, however, that members of a club play together, at least some of the time.

This is from the manual:

Members of a golf club must have a reasonable and regular opportunity to play golf with each other. They must be able to return scores personally, and these scores must be readily available for inspection by others, including, but not limited to, fellow members and the club's Handicap Committee.

It doesn't matter whether the club is a physical club, online club - whatever - as long as it meets the definition of "club" as laid down in the rules.

But you must play rounds with other members.

I talked a couple of friends into joining the Golfonline system, so it's no problem for me to comply with that rule.

Point is, you can't just join an online "club" and post scores.

OP
flomarilius

flomarilius

Jun 19, 2006
Ok look the reason why im asking is because the Top 3 of my high school golf team dont have USGA ceritifed handicaps and we want to play in the Team championship the PGA is offering. Mchard something like that... so basically do I just pay for a USGA membership and that covers us or do we gotta be members at a golf course?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Like Bravo stated - you sign up at a public course near you that is a member of the State Golf Association, pay the GHIN fee, and and enter your courses on their computer.

OP
flomarilius

flomarilius

Jun 19, 2006
Damn I have to drive across town. I cant belive Miami Springs!!! doenst have one!! They even hosted tournaments with Snead in them and everythign and they dont have a GHIN wow man.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
i love how lucky i am. i pay 150 per year to play on a sweet semi-private course, i can play whenever i want, and all i want, and i can record my cap by simply typing my scores into the computer in the shop. i also get free range balls because 2 of my golf buddies work in the shop. green fees at my club are 30 bucks, and in the first week the course was open id playe enough alread to pay for my membership. damn ive got it good here.... JUNIOR MEMBERSHIPS:)

wow... $150.. i pay 1,000's of dollars for greens fees every year...

im gonna have to look into a junior membership... i play all the horrible public courses(minus one of the nicest public courses in the state) for hundreds more than you do to play a nice course...

how should i go about inquiring for a junior membership?? im really close to a bunch of clubs, including Columbia CC, Congressional CC(site of ATT tourney this summer, the one tigers hosting), Chevy Chase CC, and those are only the top couple ones..

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.