• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Using a lower compression ball when it's cold?

Nate Adams

Aug 21, 2006
My father-in-law was out to visit over X-mas and we managed to get a couple rounds in since the weather here (Abilene, TX) was mild. The temps were cool...in the 50's and my FIL was playing one of those Wilson 50/50 balls. He said it works great in cooler temps and he doesn't notice much loss in distance compared to the Pro V1 he normally plays. Is this normal practice to play a softer ball when it's cold out? I normally play the Bridgstone B330s or a Callaway HX Hot.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Yep, he is dead on. 3 piece golf balls are just nasty in the winter, and you are only loosing distance and brutalizing yourself. I usually opt to play what my wife normally uses during the year, then I can just give the extras to her when the warm weather rolls around. Although I usually don't make the switch until it gets below 50.

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
Yes he is right like Pa said. Another golf I've herd is good in the cooler temps is the Nike Karma.

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
My father-in-law was out to visit over X-mas and we managed to get a couple rounds in since the weather here (Abilene, TX) was mild. The temps were cool...in the 50's and my FIL was playing one of those Wilson 50/50 balls. He said it works great in cooler temps and he doesn't notice much loss in distance compared to the Pro V1 he normally plays. Is this normal practice to play a softer ball when it's cold out? I normally play the Bridgstone B330s or a Callaway HX Hot.

A softer ball does work better in the winter, yes. And I'll prefer to hit one if I get the chance.

But I'm a cheap bastard, and I'll hit anything, even a four-piece if I don't have anything else. All I do is keep three or four balls in my pocket so they stay warm and I rotate them in and out. Granted, the ball's probably cold before my tee shot hits the ground, but at least the tee ball was long. :laugh:

OP
N

Nate Adams

Aug 21, 2006
Okay.....so how do I tell if a certain brand of golf ball is lower compression?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Most balls have a compression rating but if it is to much trouble to find out, most balls designed for women have a lower compression rating. To mention a few that may work well for you, the Maxfli Noodle, Top Flight D2 Feel, most of the Precept lady or possibly Laddie balls, . You can also look on the back of the box and make sure it is a 2 piece golf ball, unlike the 3-piece ones that are hard as a rock in the winter. This is not to say that all 2 piece balls have a lower compression rating and will work, just that most 3-piece balls usually have a higher rating that what you would want in the winter.

Personally, if your father in law has good luck with the Wilson 50/50, why not try those? I actually went out and picked up a dozen yesterday to try out after reading this thread. During the summer a friend of mine showed me one, and mentioned it was a 50 Compression rating, which is almost unheard of on the low side. I had thought they may be good to play in the winter at that time, but forgot about them until this thread. Many of the ladies balls come in at around 80 on the compression ratings.

In all honesty, if above 50 degrees is the most you have to contend with on cold weather and it is a rare occasion, I am not sure I would worry about changing. I know when we went down to San Antonio last month I changed back, because to me that is warm weather. I would venture to guess that your father in law may have visited from a colder climate? This is not to say a lower compression ball may not benefit many peoples game in general, I think I have intentionally taken enough distance off my game in the last year to gain control, that a 3 piece ball is probably alot less important to me at this point. I think when my Tour Fires run out, I may go back to a 2 piece ball. Alot easier to find at a cheaper price, assuming I can still get the feel and spin that I want around the greens. I usually just pick up the cheaper 3 piece balls anyways, and usually play them simply because they are cheaper than the 2 pieces balls I would opt to play but maybe at a slight loss in distance.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.