• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Using a variety of balls lately.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Haven't felt like buying any balls for awhile & instead have been using my cooler full of "found" balls. I literally can't tell any difference between the ProV1, D2 feel or the Taylormade Burner TP balls. I strictly used the D2's today & for me they performed just as well as the high priced balls.

I know this has been preached about time & time again & for awhile I was buying into the mantra of pricey balls= better balls. But I have been playing just about anything I find, Nike Juice, Karma, Callaway HX, etc & they all appear to work just fine. The only ones I refuse to use are the million & half Top Flite XL's I find.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
The only club i can "feel" the difference is off the putter.

I can see the spin difference between some models off wedges...sometimes

Any other club, i dont really care what ball i am hitting.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
To me, a ProV1 feels better coming off an iron than any other ball I have tried. Much better.

Off a driver.....not so good. I guess I just don't have the swing speed to compress the mantle into the core.

I get best overall performance with a 2 piece ball: either the NXT-Tour or the D2 feels great and flies good. They just don't have that buttery feeling coming off an iron that the ProV1 does.

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Yeah. The new NXT-Tour is a 3 piece. I'm still playing old NXT-Tours. :D The ones I bought on ebay for $6 a dozen.

They are 2 piece, aren't they?

errr, I'm not sure. I thought they were all 3 piece, but I only started playing them last year. My 2007 models are 3-piece. Before that, not sure.

If yours came in the original box, check the back. Mine has a cutaway graphic showing that it's a 3-piece.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I have no idea how old these NXT-Tours are. Here is a blurb showing that the original NXT-Tours were 2 piece but that they were changed to a 3 piece in 2005. My bad. :)

I'm not cutting any open with a bandsaw because I want to keep all of my fingers.

The current NXT Tour ball features a new dual core design with a soft inner core and the firmer outer cover which helps to lower the spin rate off the driver one of the keys to maximizing distance. The dual core also serves to provide improved spin control on and around the greens, a significant improvement over the previous version. The dual core has made the 2005 NXT Tour a three piece ball rather than the two piece construction of the older model. The soft fusablend cover has been reformulated to provide a softer feel, especially with the putter and wedges. The dimple pattern from the ProV1 has been incorporated onto the NXT Tour. With five different diameters and an icosahedral design, you will find a ball flight very similar to that of the ProV1. All of these improvements result in an average increase of 5 yards over the previous version.

blackxpress

May 12, 2008
I also get the best overall performance from the NXT Tour. I do prefer the ProV1 for wedge shots into the greens because they seem to check up a little better. Emphasis on "a little." The difference is not enough for me to justify the extra cost and, as I said, the NXT Tour is better overall for my game. Lately, I've been playing Maxfli balls that I bought at a Stein Mart going out of business sale. I got two 15 packs of Powermax Soft Distance balls for $18. Buy one pack for $12 and get the second pack half price. Can't beat that price. I also picked up a dozen Noodle+ balls. I like the Maxfli's well enough, especially the Noodles, but I can definitely tell the difference between them and the NXT Tours. I can't wait until they're all gone. I'll go back to NXT Tour for sure.

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
got some Cally Warbirds and a box of Pinnacles gold. been losing to many to even go the $20ish range :)

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I have no idea how old these NXT-Tours are. Here is a blurb showing that the original NXT-Tours were 2 piece but that they were changed to a 3 piece in 2005. My bad. :)

I'm not cutting any open with a bandsaw because I want to keep all of my fingers.
The whole reason you have 10 of them is the ability to loose a couple....

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
I tried the Taylormade Burner TP ball today and it didn't do anything for me. I really like the Wilson Zip though, they felt really good off the irons and driver.

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
I was hitting Dunlops from Big Lots for the longest time, $10 a dozen, haha. I figured if I was going to lose balls they might as well be cheap. I picked up some Callaway HXs on a whim and the feel is worlds better. I never thought a ball could change my game that much, but I've dropped strokes and am mishitting the ball (losing balls) far less often which makes the money spent well worth it. I'm not so sure I need Pro V1s, but I've realized what at least a decent ball can do for you.

As an aside a friend of mine, 4 handicap, swears by the Noodle. :shrug:

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I was hitting Dunlops from Big Lots for the longest time, $10 a dozen, haha. I figured if I was going to lose balls they might as well be cheap. I picked up some Callaway HXs on a whim and the feel is worlds better. I never thought a ball could change my game that much, but I've dropped strokes and am mishitting the ball (losing balls) far less often which makes the money spent well worth it. I'm not so sure I need Pro V1s, but I've realized what at least a decent ball can do for you.

As an aside a friend of mine, 4 handicap, swears by the Noodle. :shrug:
Shows that Skill > Ball played...

Personally the ball does make a difference, but its a minimal difference in the overal scheme of things on the course.

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
Shows that Skill > Ball played...

Personally the ball does make a difference, but its a minimal difference in the overal scheme of things on the course.

I think a good part of it was a mental edge in that I really didn't want to be throwing money into the woods anymore. :D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.