• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Using Gloves

RoRo

Jun 3, 2005
I am curious how many of you out there use gloves or go bare handed. I have a problem with gloves because I have large hands, but relatively thin fingures. Gloves seem to be made for polish sausages when you get to the XL XXL range. A loose glove does nothing for me...so I am upgrading my grips (Winn Excel O-size) and trying bare handed for awhile.

Any thoughts?

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Just out of curiosity, you're not using synthetic gloves are you? They slide all over the place when I start to sweat.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
Being from Texas I have to use them in the summer but in the winter I do not use them.

longiron

May 2, 2005
i use a footjoy sciflex it is great in rain, sweat, or dry last about 4-5 rounds and stays soft

MyGolfDomain.com

Apr 2, 2005
If the glove doesn't fit you must quit.

I insist of wearing a glove when playing. That is why I have a white hand and a dark tan hand. Gotta get out fishing in sunny weather to even it out hehe. I tried recently, but it was cold and raining and windy...had to wear gloves on both hands hehe.

Here is a link to the fishing trip just for kicks.
http://www.mygolfdomain.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
it is very hard for me to play without a glove, i never buy gloves if they aren't buy one get one free or a really good price though, but i'm stocked for awhile i think, i love showing off my different colored hands, i'm the only guy i know that putts with a glove on...

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
YG, I putt with a glove too.

All the taking off and putting on during a round is just too much hassle. I hit EVERY OTHER SHOT with a glove, so why not putts?

There is a reason the golf glove is worn on the left hand you know. It's so married guys don't get a tan line around their wedding band. Thus, when they take it off at the bar after the round, they aren't giving away the fact that they are married to the ladies. :wow:

The only suggestion I think I can make to Roro is to try rain gloves. They are made of chamois and stretch pretty well. More expensive, but last a long time. They are great for sweaty rounds too.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i always waer a glove.the only time i take it off is to take a leak.i also putt with it on.
as far as the dark hand and white hand i work outdoors so you have to look close to notice it.when i worked in a cheese plant though it was obvious i was a golfer.first time i met the plant manager he says"so your a golfer?".i asked him how he knew and he said i seen your hands.

OP
R

RoRo

Jun 3, 2005
Well...I have the new grips (Winn Excel O-sized) on my drivers. I will go to the driving range and see how they feel. I normally do not get sweaty palms, but then again, I have always worn a glove, so maybe I just haven't realized it.

I'll let you guys know.

Rainmanp

May 25, 2005
I have always used a glove. My hand just feels more secure on the club even with good grips and especially in hot weather. In fact, perspiration is such a problem in our our humidity here I have been known to put on a dry glove during a round or put the glove on only when approaching the ball and take it off immediately to try to keep it from getting totally saturated. Don't tell the tourist bureau I said this, but New Orleans is NOT the place to take a golf vacation during the summer.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Rainmanp said:
I have always used a glove. My hand just feels more secure on the club even with good grips and especially in hot weather. In fact, perspiration is such a problem in our our humidity here I have been known to put on a dry glove during a round or put the glove on only when approaching the ball and take it off immediately to try to keep it from getting totally saturated. Don't tell the tourist bureau I said this, but New Orleans is NOT the place to take a golf vacation during the summer.

I do the same thing here. Central TX is not as humid as New Orleans but the summers are very hot.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
I don't use glove.
More feel. If your skins get scarred, you're gripping too tightly.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Bare-handed up until about 90*F. Then a glove (on the left) to counter the sweat slippage.

I use 2-3 gloves per round at that point.

When the palms are a' sweattin', I'm a glovin' it. (Duran Duran fans?)

fredcouplesfan

bring da lulz
Jun 4, 2005
i go without a glove, unless it is really hot. i just like the better feel I have for the club especially with the driver and 3 wood.

🔥 Latest posts