• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

UST Freqency Filtered Putter Shaft

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
PGAShow2007106.jpg

When I first saw the UST Frequency Filtered Putter Shaft (www.ustgolfshaft.com) in promotional ads, I knew that I wanted to try one out. Unfortunately, I have never found one in a golf store assembled into a putter to give it a test run. There were several times I put one into my shopping cart online when buying other products, but I could never pull the trigger. A $60 putter shaft is hard to justify if you have not had a chance to try it out in person. Last Friday, I finally received my opportunity to try it out in person while attending the PGA Merchandise show.
PGAShow2007110.jpg

You know right away that you are looking at a different kind of animal and that is not going to be like any other putter shaft you have ever putted with before. For starters, your looking at a composite shaft with a steel tip section and a graphite butt section joined in the middle with some sort of conical device. The look may scare away some tradionalists, but it is not so outragious that you would be afraid to put it in your bag. When you first pick up a putter shafted with UST's shaft, you immediately notice a difference in club head feel. The UST shaft increases the swing weight over a similar putter with etiher a steel or graphite shaft. This is not a bad thing. OEM putter makers and component club head makers have been gradually increasing head weights in their putters to accomplish the same objective. This shaft will help that along a bit, and even with the increased swingweight, the putter feels well balanced in your hands. Fondling aside, the whole reason why your trying this shaft out is impact feel.
PGAShow2007109.jpg

The UST rep let me putt a few with a steel shafted Bettinardi to get the feel of a steel shafted putter in my hands before I tried out the UST shafted club. The Bettinardi putter felt great. Its a high end milled putter and I figured there was going to be no way the Yes! Tracy II putter with the UST shaft in it was going to improve the feel I was getting with the Bettinardi. I was WRONG. I never realized how much vibration comes up a putter shaft until I putted with the UST shaft. It was kind of like back in college when the guys next door had a CD player compared to my tape deck. The CD player sounded really good but it did not seem that much better until I put a tape in the tape deck and listened to it again. There are a lot of garbage vibrations coming up the steel shaft that I never knew existed (just like all that garbage backround noise on a tape deck.) I tried several of the putters they had made up with the UST shaft and they were all the same as far as feel went. Just a small pure feedback vibration is transmitted back to your hands and the rest is filtered out. This is one awesome shaft.
PGAShow2007108.jpg

According the UST the reps, there are a few companies out there who will put a UST shaft in their putters via a custom order or custom shop. From what I could gather, it is an option on Pings and Yes! putters from the factory/factory custom shop but most others will require you to reshaft it yourself or bring it to your local club maker.
PGAShow2007107.jpg

UST currently offers 7 different tip configurations that fit most of the poplular putters being produced so you will likely find a match to your favorite putter head. Will the shaft help you make more putts? That is debatable. This shaft is all about feel. If a better feel helps you sink more putts, this shaft will help you. If you can putt well with a rock tied to a stick or a garden implement, you can probably get by without this shaft.

Now that I have had to opportunity to try the shaft, I am definitely going to get one at some point down the road. Right now I am going into a center shafted phase of my putter collecting and I want to settle down on a putter selection before I spend the money on this shaft. I would love to put this shaft in all of my putters, but it is just not financially feasible at this point in time.

If you are looking for the the ultimate feel in your putter shaft and do not mind the $60 price tag, I would highly recommend the UST Frequency Filtered Putter shaft.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Makes me want to spend money!!

Tell me about it. I could have spent tens of thousands of dollars last week.

I figured I would get the review out in case anyone else was in the same boat I was in until I tried it. It is very hard to find a putter with this shaft in it to try, and I have been looking to try since I saw it first announced a long time ago. If they spent a few bucks and put even just one putter in each golf store they sell the shaft to they would probably sell a ton of these shafts. Once you putt with one, you will want one.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I have heard nothing but outstanding reviews on these shafts. Everyone who tries one seems to swith to it. I may need to bite the bullet and try one this summer.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I have heard nothing but outstanding reviews on these shafts. Everyone who tries one seems to swith to it. I may need to bite the bullet and try one this summer.

Nothing but the same heard here Lyle. Anyone know what one of those go for? Im too lazy to go check right now as im on my way out.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I finally bit the bullet and got one of these shafts. I just put it into my Yes! Carolyne and then backweighted it with a 100g Tour Lock Pro with the Winn putter grip designed for the Tour Lock Pro's. I will right up a more comprehensive review of the package after I get some time in with it on the greens.

modoforsticks

Feb 13, 2008
freqFilter + tourLock question

Hey,

I just ordered a winn tour lock putter grip, weight, and frequency filter putter shaft. My question is did you have to do anything special to get the weight to fit in the shaft? I ask because it seems like the inside diameter of a graphite shaft will be smaller.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
The tourlock was a little bit tighter fit than a steel shaft, but it did not require any adjusting of the shaft or grip. I was initially worried about it, but had no problems installing it.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Hmm, this may be what I was looking for. Asked a couple months ago about installing a graphite shaft into a putter.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
the price just came down on these things too - still a lot for a putter shaft - but not crazy now

may have to try one....

🔥 Latest posts