• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

V groove conforming irons on the market

dylpckl8588

Jul 18, 2009
yeah, I am planning on trying to qualify for the us open next year starting at the local stage, so that's why I was asking just to see if I will need new irons, or if it's even worth it to buy new clubs just to play that one tournament round. Just for reference though, do you know if the Titleist 735s are square grooved clubs?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
yeah, I am planning on trying to qualify for the us open next year starting at the local stage, so that's why I was asking just to see if I will need new irons, or if it's even worth it to buy new clubs just to play that one tournament round. Just for reference though, do you know if the Titleist 735s are square grooved clubs?
Sorry I can't answer your question about the irons, someone on here quite possibly can. I wish you good luck, and personally that is just a chance of a lifetime IMO. I could not imagine that it would not be worth every penny as opposed to looking back later and regretting not trying. Worst case scenario is you will have a new set of clubs.

Seriously, Good Luck!!!

Jorge

Feb 3, 2011
Don't let anyone tell you that V grooves are harder to play with. The only thing they don't do well is chop up the golf ball. Grooves are for direction, control, not spin. Ask yourself why Drivers don't have grooves now. Actually you can put MORE spin with no grooves than you can with any kind of grooves. So, don't believe the hype, cause if you have trouble with them, you need lessons not U grooves or square grooves.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Something else to consider. A set of U groove or square groove irons and wedges with worn out grooves will likely perform as good or better than a new set with the conforming V grooves.

Horsehockey!!! I've been playing "V" grooves for 2 years and it's made no difference whatsoever in my game. From the fairway they spin every bit as sell as a square groove. From the rough, like most amateurs, I can't hit the ball sharply enough for square groves to matter. So I play for a little more run on approaches from the rough. In the long run, the type of grooves he buys won't make a bit of difference in his game. Wouldn't matter for you either if you could just wrap your mind around the issue.

To lower spin.

Nope. They don't have them because they don't need 'em. In actual tests from the fairway, shots with identical irons except that one had grooves and the other was smooth faced, the results were the same. Spin and stopping power were virtually identical. All grooves are for is to channel grass and moisture off the hitting surface, which is the flat part of the clubface. That's why they only have a significant effect from the rough, and even then only for better players.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Nope. They don't have them because they don't need 'em. In actual tests from the fairway, shots with identical irons except that one had grooves and the other was smooth faced, the results were the same. Spin and stopping power were virtually identical. All grooves are for is to channel grass and moisture off the hitting surface, which is the flat part of the clubface. That's why they only have a significant effect from the rough, and even then only for better players.

FP, I was responding to the comment about no grooves on drivers.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
FP, I was responding to the comment about no grooves on drivers.

I know, but my comment is still valid. The grooves, or their absence, have nothing to do with spin, especially when you are talking about a driver. My TaylorMade Tour driver that I've had for more than 20 years does have grooves across the hitting area. Virtually all wooden headed drivers had grooves cut across the insert. Some guys need them there psychologically. That doesn't make them any more functional. Why do they put grooves on the driver face in areas other than the impact area? Purely for decoration, because most players wouldn't buy one with a completely smooth face, even if they knew that it would work just as well.

Extensive testing has proven that groove shape has little or no effect on the typical amateur's game, yet those amateurs are the only ones making a big fuss about the change. The pros have accepted it and just go about their jobs. making whatever adjustments are needed. Everybody else just needs to do the same and quit worrying about it. If guys like this Ping idiot would just shut up and let it rest, everyone would soon forget the whole thing and life would go on.

Stratokatsu

Jan 31, 2011
Hey Rick - It's me Dennis... I couldn't use DennisM because someone else in this forum already has it.

You should start your thread about the rules in this forum too. That thread has been a good read and a good time at our other forum.

🔥 Latest posts