• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

V grooves

Will you change irons if the USGA rules change?

• Total voters

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
If the USGA changes the rules concerning grooves (yet again), will the current U grooves be outlawed and only V grooves permitted in competitions?

Even if this happens, it wouldn't affect most of us, but some of our number play in USGA sanctioned events. So would we have to buy some new sticks, or drag the really old set of blades out of the closet.

What would you do?

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
I have a hard time believing many people on this forum will pass up the chance to get new irons...

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
As much as I like to ho equipment, I would stick with the "U" grooves. I am not a tournament player so no worries from a legality stand point. Just think about all the second hand ho'ing potential at great prices if everyone starts to trade in their non-conforming irons. I may finally get a good price on a set of slightly used MP-60's. :D

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
As much as I like to ho equipment, I would stick with the "U" grooves. I am not a tournament player so no worries from a legality stand point. Just think about all the second hand ho'ing portnetial at great prices if everyone starts to trade in their non-conforming irons. I may finally get a good price on a set of slightly used MP-60's. :D

I think the former statement answers alot of what will/won't happen in the latter one.

I doubt many people are going to swap over.

R35

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I'm not sure if the little tourneys I play in would enforce a no-U-goove rule or not.

If they did, I would probably have my old set of Hogan Apex IIs refinished and reshafted and use them. They are 2-PW, which would be 3-GW in todays lofts, so I would still need a SW and LW with V grooves.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
If they change the rule, I'm sending my clubs to the Nomad service to get them cut wider, deeper and squarer. Ron's going to need some business!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I heard they'd grandfather the u-grooves for non-PGA tourneys for like 10 years or so where most of us would want new irons anyway and also that ALL the manufacturers will fight it, not just Ping (like last time)... :D

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I will let you know what I think when I learn to use my clubs.:laugh:

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
so do all wedges have U grooves right now?? i just sharpened my wedges, and used the side that had what appeared to be square sharpener, compared to the other side that was definately V shaped...

whatever i used, i am getting crazy spin now, like more than when they were new.. i havent taken them on the course, as i just sharpened them 10 minutes ago, but i hit a couple half lobs, and the cover was spit out into the grooves, which it has never done before..

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Ill go to new conforming clubs when i have to.

I play RCGA santioned events, and they'll follow with the USGA and R&A in no time. So when they enforce it on us, ill switch (well, ill have to:))

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
nah ill keep my irons for now as there only 2 yrs old.maybe in 3 or 4 yrs ill buy new ones.(atleast thats the idea right now)

i dont see why normal golfers should be penalized because the USGA wants to make the game harder for pros.

since i dont play in tourny``s i should be ok.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
I will get new clubs with conforming grooves through my staff deal, but it will be unfortunate to have to sit on the two Miura forged sets that I have.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Arent they only doing the V vs U groove stuff for wedges only?

At least thats what I thought?

🔥 Latest posts