• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

V grooves

Will you change irons if the USGA rules change?

• Total voters

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I heard they'd grandfather the u-grooves for non-PGA tourneys for like 10 years or so where most of us would want new irons anyway and also that ALL the manufacturers will fight it, not just Ping (like last time)... :D

I am not so sure that the manufacturers are going to put up as big of a fight as a lot of people expect. They will spin it to look like they are fighting it to put on a good face, but one has to ask the question, "Who will gain the most if this decision passes?" If just about everyone who plays in sanctioned tournements is forced to get into some new equipment, who is going to profit from it? If people can not buy into second hand clubs that are legal for play, where do they have to go to buy conforming clubs?

This whole rule change is set up to gain the manufacturers support as it will be needed by the USGA and R&A in order to pass. Think about it. We buy putters and drivers like crazy because newer technologies are introduced every year and we continue to strive for the latest and greatest. We continue to buy wedges as they are probably the one part of the bag that physically wears out faster than any other club type. Most golfers rarely change their irons (OK, some of us Ho's, but we are not what most folks would call "normal".) A rule change like the one proposed will force a lot of folks into a new set of irons, the one segment of the club market that is the weakest. Who stands to profit from that?

The manufactuers will all eventually come out in favor of the new rule and tell us that we they had to go along "for the benefit of the game." At the same time, they will be recording record profits.:real angry:

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Arent they only doing the V vs U groove stuff for wedges only?

At least thats what I thought?

Technically, they are not outlawing U grooves. They are going to limit size, spacing, and radius of the groove edge. The majority of the current U grooves would not meet this standard. The groove rule will apply to all clubs, but for the most part it will only affect the irons and wedges as the majority of grooves on metal woods and hybrids are within the proposed limits.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I'll hold on to my clubs, since the ruling will be reversed eventually.

You heard it here first...:)

🔥 Latest posts