• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Valkyrie= History Channel

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
History is a passion of mine.

I went to see Valkyrie (Tom Cruise) last night. Historically accurate movie of the last serious assassination attempt of Adolph Hitler. The conspiracy coup plot is well documented. However to pay a movie theater money to study dry academia is questionable. Character development is the movie's weak point.

Skip it at the theater and NetFlick or wait to see it free on the telly.

2 stars out of 5.

Next movie I plan to see is Spirit. Anyone else seen Valkyrie or Spirit?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Wife wants to see Valkyrie, I told her no thanks as I felt it would be another Tom Cruise dud.

Haven't heard much about Spirit other than a couple of very short commericals.

I want to see Bedtime stories, yes I know it's a stupid Adam Sandler movie, but it will probably be good for a laugh or 3 & in todays world we need all the laughter we can get.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I really enjoyed Valkyrie.

Here's the thing: You get 300, a loose recollection of a historical event and people whine about how it isn't accurate. You get Valkyrie, a relatively correct story told, and people whine how there isn't character development.

Booo hoo. Each have their benefit to offer. Valkyrie was more for historical accuracy in an entertaining form.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I've heard Spirit is REALLY weak. Just pretty pictures with no real acting or direction. Kind of a cheap Batman.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004

Here's the thing: You get 300, a loose recollection of a historical event and people whine about how it isn't accurate. You get Valkyrie, a relatively correct story told, and people whine how there isn't character development.

Booo hoo. Each have their benefit to offer. Valkyrie was more for historical accuracy in an entertaining form.

My kid went to see it and liked it but he's 13 with a skull full of mush.

I will not see it if I have to pay for it. I too am a WW2 history buff and I want My Germans speaking German....Tom Cruise? come on.

best war movie ever in my opinion? Das Boot.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
My kid went to see it and liked it but he's 13 with a skull full of mush.

I will not see it if I have to pay for it. I too am a WW2 history buff and I want My Germans speaking German....Tom Cruise? come on.

Das Boot was incredible. Honestly, I want to become a WW2 buff, I am very interested in it but not really sure where to start. Any suggestions?

That said, I do agree, Tom Cruise as german doesn't really add up, but the supporting cast made a bit more sense.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country

Love that movie. When I used to live in Chicago I used to go down to the Museum of Science and Industry to go see U505. Yes, the boat is really that small. I can not imagine going to sea in that thing and going through those conditions.

Another war movie I enjoy that was based on a true story is "The Great Escape". While its not exactly how it happened due to time constraints, characters portraying several real life prisoners, and some scenes were thrown in to appease McQueen; it is a great movie.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
It's in the blood Jeff.....you either are or you aren't.

I was always attracted to the European theater, air war in particular.
I had the privilege to play a WW2 combat flight sim for several years with an honest to God P-47 pilot. Stationed in France in 1944/45.

He wrote some of his stories on our squadron website.....worth a look

Read the one's by RAF_Yank aka Colonel Don Archer

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I was on the 505 once....Great story there on the capture of that sub jeff....look it up.
"hot racks" was the thing that sticks in my mind regarding life on a U-boat.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
It's in the blood Jeff.....you either are or you aren't.

I was always attracted to the European theater, air war in particular.
I had the privilege to play a WW2 combat flight sim for several years with an honest to God P-47 pilot. Stationed in France in 1944/45.

He wrote some of his stories on our squadron website.....worth a look

Read the one's by RAF_Yank aka Colonel Don Archer

I was as well mainly because my Grandfather was in that particular theater. He was in Patton's 3rd army. After he passed away-10+yrs ago- I looked at his discharge papers. Any major battle you have ever heard about-Sicily, Normandy, Bastogne-he was there. He was in artillery and never talked much about his experience-after looking at the discharge papers I could understand why. That man must have seen things that people who never served could never imagine seeing.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I was on the 505 once....Great story there on the capture of that sub jeff....look it up.
"hot racks" was the thing that sticks in my mind regarding life on a U-boat.

They still do that today. I guy I worked with a few airlines ago spent some time on 688's and the enlisted folks still have the opportunity to "hot rack" it.

Another more modern flick on WWII subs was U-571. Not as good as Das Boot, but a fairly good story. Its not historically accurate, but it is supposedly a tribute to those who did capture U boats during the war, like U505.

One of the the better books I have read is called "Torpedo Junction" (same guy who wrote "Rocket Boys" which became the movie "October Sky"). It is an account of the U-Boat campaign along the East Coast of the United States. With the majority of Atlantic naval assets being deployed protecting convoys across the North Atlantic, the Germans sank several hundred thousands tons of commercial shipping just off the coast of the United States with little to no opposition.

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007

I enjoyed the movie also. I'm a big history fan. I just felt it was a waste to pay $12 to see the movie on the big screen. For the big screen $$$ I wanted to see more personal back story. For a DVD rental I give it 5 stars. Big screen $$$ 2 stars.

In other words the theater sound system and big picture did not add to the experience for me. Perhaps the terror of a strafing Spitfire in the beginning was something that was suited for the theater. This strafing scene was done much better than the valley strafing scene in "Letters From Iwo Jima".

I certainly did NOT want a story such a Pearl Harbor which was primarily a chick flick with a historical background. Another "Titanic" movie

Questions such as "what were the motivations/politics of the coup heads?" could have been further explored. The movies alludes some/not all coup leaders were repulsed of the inhumanity of the Third Reich. Some were influenced by a power grab with the fall of Germany. Some wanted to soften the peace terms to be conferred upon Germany.
This type of exploration would have set the movie apart from a textbook recounting of events. However to take this tact requires risks the producers/directors refused to take. They had issues just getting permission to film on location in Germany supposedly because of Tom Cruise's Scientology beliefs. Was that the issue or a behind the scenes demand for a rewrite?

Politics on the Nazi/Germany issues still burn hot.

I left the movie wanting/expecting more than a simplistic look at events.

The Revolutionary War mini series done on the History channel is an example of History done completely. Babara Tuchman an example of a historian author who does publishing right. Gods and Generals another fine example of a history told completely.

BTW, Two/Three years ago The History channel did a 1 hour show on the assassination attempt in a fairly complete manner but not as entertaining.

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Das Boot ---great movie

I prefer war flicks that show the "fog of war" . RED BADGE OF COURAGE is a fine example. Bring the fight down to the human personal level. That is what WAR/HISTORY is all about. What sacrifices did I make, horrors I endure, and what motivates me? The story of LIFE/DEATH basically.

I recently had a LONG talk with my uncle. I knew he was affected by WWII but he hid the fact from the rest of the family he was in the Wehrmacht. I had asked him what Europe was like during the war believing his story that he escaped from Germany into Switzerland.. I also absolved the average German soldier for for not knowing the BIG PICTURE. Relieved, he suddenly opened up. Very passionately telling his story. He was infantry soldier eventually captured on the East Side of Germany as the Russians advanced. He somehow managed his release to the western allies and ended up in a prison camp in the US. He was truly AFRAID/HUMILIATED of his Germany he grew up in. Yet it defined him. I've always known him as a compassionate, reserved man. Now I view him with a greater respect.

Also had a talk with a surgeon. Somehow the conversation swung to war. He was 8/10 years old in Germany during the war. He told of the terror of the allied bombings of his neighborhood. His father was also in the Wehrmacht. He was captured on the Eastern Front. Unfortunately not to return from the brutal Russian prison camps.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I will say this.

While I've dabbled in WW2 reading and whatnot, from a militaristic standpoint Germany was brilliant. Absolutely so, and the minds driving the force were equally so, on the tactical and scientific standpoint. The Iron Wolf was a nasty thing.

Anywho, I'll check some of that stuff out.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I was surprised the 1st time I went into the 505 at just how small it is. As far as WW2 movies go, I absolutely love The Great Escape. And not historically accurate but still entertaining I have always enjoyed The Dirty Dozen & Kellys Heros. Tora Tora Tora is good but Stalag 17 is fantastic. And for a modern movie Saving Private Ryan is a must see.

🔥 Latest posts