• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Verizon Wireless GPSGolfShot on my phone review

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008
So, I noticed that I got a free one day trial of the golf gps and have been waiting to try it to review and see what it is like. I played Bethpage the other day and thought ok, this would be a good test for it.

First off the app is no frills. front middle and back yardages. personally i prefer a rangefinder to bounce the laser off of targets but regardless its good to have as they had the tee markers all over the place.

first hole i turned it on i found out quickly this is not adequate enough for me. i took one step forward and it changed 5 yards! by the time it stopped moving i was delaying play. the numbers were all over the place climbing and descending then finally settling on a number.

it also takes too long to get into the app. every time i closed my phone LG Nv2, i had to go back into the application, reselect the golf course, reselect the hole, and wait for it to locate me. if i chose to leave the phone open it was going to charge me additional minutes because of my plan. i only have 400 mins so playing a 4 hour round wouldve run me 240 mins. (free on the weekends though :thumbs up:)

it seemed to have some good features, it could calculate distance of shot. but the speak feature i thought was stupid, i mean your LOOKING RIGHT AT THE NUMBER why do you need to hear it? redundant!

All in all , it was a decent tool, not a great or even good. would i use it again for the fee? no, id look elsewhere ie iphone apps, or back to the trusty bushnell.

2 out of 5

OP
Manavs

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008
i wanted to be nice - but your right

lildudejds

Shut up ya dumb beaver...
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2005
Just having your phone open charges minute? Or is it the GPS access that is limited?

OP
Manavs

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008
Just having your phone open charges minute? Or is it the GPS access that is limited?

for it to keep calculating yardages like you would walking, the gps has to be in constant connection with the satellites/cell tower however they do it. so its like being on a phone call.

when i downloaded the app there were 3 options
free 1 day trial
$ price per day
$ price per month

and yes these were in additional to any minutes used.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
I have to say that your cell phone options in the states are ridiculous. Paying for GPS access. When I use GPS it comes off my Internet usage, (current iPhone plan includes 1GB of data a month) but it uses so little its literally a piddle in the ocean.

And have I heard correctly that you pay to RECEIVE a text message?

OP
Manavs

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008
I have to say that your cell phone options in the states are ridiculous. Paying for GPS access. When I use GPS it comes off my Internet usage, (current iPhone plan includes 1GB of data a month) but it uses so little its literally a piddle in the ocean.

And have I heard correctly that you pay to RECEIVE a text message?

For unlimited plans with internet usage etc most cell phone companies here in the US - dont quote me here - start at around $100/month and up.

the low end start at 30ish where you get an allotment of mins and text messages, and get hit pretty hard with $0.25/min over and $.10/text to send or receive over your limit.

My personal plan is a basic 400mins/month $30, plus $15 for 1500 text messages/month, plus $5 email access/month - plus taxes etc i pay $66ish/month.

I have friends who pay excess of $140 for the full treatment

hope that helps
Michael

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I get unlimited text, e-mail, pictures, apps.. Unlimited data/internet.. I think we have around 3500 minutes or something.. Toss that in with the other hoopla, and I think for 4 blackberry phones and a My-Fi wireless connection, we're around $350 a month.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.