• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Vermont golf

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
I'm headed to Vermont in mid September for a mini vacation. We visited last month and played Alburg, GMN and Killington. This trip it's Alburg again (visiting relatives) but I'm trying to decide on another course(s) to play in mid state. GMN was fun but a little tough (I shot 104!)and Killington has finally gotten on my last nerve.
Has anyone played Okemo Valley or Tater Hill?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
You ABSOLUTELY HAVE to play Okemo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't stress this enough, it is by FAR the NICEST course in southern VT and well worth the $100 green fee on the weekend (with cart). The practice area is imaculate and the greens are simply perfect. Forget about anywhere else, PLAY OKEMO!!!

Tater Hill I have never played but its owned by Okemo and they dumped a TON of money into renovating it, but for the $80 you will spend ther, spend another $20 and play Okemo.

Okemo is tough, tight fairways and if you are coming in the fall it is absolutely beautiful!

Green Mtn is a great course, they used to have a futures tour event there, but Okemo is nicer IMHO.

OP
W

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
Thanks BigJim - We've decided on a round at Sugarbush (mostly for the foliage) and two rounds at Okemo.

Incidentally, we'll be playing Alburg again. If you haven't played it, it had a well deserved rep as a low end dog track. I've played there for years only because it was the only golf within 40 miles. I played it this summer for the first time in several years. New owners and they've made lots of improvements. At least the front 9. The back is still a work in progress. If you're in the area it's worth a round.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Thanks BigJim - We've decided on a round at Sugarbush (mostly for the foliage) and two rounds at Okemo.

Incidentally, we'll be playing Alburg again. If you haven't played it, it had a well deserved rep as a low end dog track. I've played there for years only because it was the only golf within 40 miles. I played it this summer for the first time in several years. New owners and they've made lots of improvements. At least the front 9. The back is still a work in progress. If you're in the area it's worth a round.

I guess I got a little carried away with Okemo, its just a really nice course though. Stowe would be another worth checking out. Never played Sugarbush but I'm sure it will be nice.

You won't regret Okemo at all though!

20 PAT's

Jun 21, 2009
Hey you should try to play Rutland CC in Rutland if your coming this way. I think its $80... Sugarbush is really difficult.. think of Green Mountain National in rougher shape... myself I don't really get the draw that some people have to OKV... Just another Durkee design (Manchester, Back nine at Dorset, Neshobe). But to each his own...

OP
W

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
Just got back from a few days in VT. We ended up playing Okemo, Tater Hill, Killington and Alburgh.

We played Okemo on a Thursday thinking mid week, pre leaf peeper season, that the course would not be crowded. Wrong on that. Think almost 5 1/2 hours riding, waiting on every shot. Not only was pace of play bad, my game sucked too.
As for the course, it's a really nicely maintained layout. I normally play from the white tees at most courses, but here I chose to play from the green (Championship tees). The course is short and the green tees were only 6100 yds. My problem wasn't the length, it was the hard, as a rock, very fast greens. Add to that a few "hidden" hazards and lots of greenside bunkers and I had a very long day. I would play it again though but only if it wasn't crowded.

Tater Hill is nearby. We played it on a cold, blustery, rainy day and actually enjoyed it more than Okemo although it's nowhere nearly as nice. It's a revamped and a little quirky ex 9 holer. You start off on a par 3 and there are a couple of par 3's in a row. The first 4-5 holes were part of the old course and are back and forth fairways. The remainder of the front 9 and the back 9 are a more modern layout. Enjoyable (under 4 hours walking) though overpriced.

Alburgh was the surprise of the trip. They've done lots of work trying to turn it into a links style course and I think they're making lots of progress. The most enjoyable part was having no one within 3 holes of us, front or back. The front 9 is wide is wide open golf. Not too challenging but I had a good score so I enjoyed it. The back 9 is still a little rough around the edges.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Just got back from a few days in VT. We ended up playing Okemo, Tater Hill, Killington and Alburgh.

We played Okemo on a Thursday thinking mid week, pre leaf peeper season, that the course would not be crowded. Wrong on that. Think almost 5 1/2 hours riding, waiting on every shot. Not only was pace of play bad, my game sucked too.
As for the course, it's a really nicely maintained layout. I normally play from the white tees at most courses, but here I chose to play from the green (Championship tees). The course is short and the green tees were only 6100 yds. My problem wasn't the length, it was the hard, as a rock, very fast greens. Add to that a few "hidden" hazards and lots of greenside bunkers and I had a very long day. I would play it again though but only if it wasn't crowded.

Tater Hill is nearby. We played it on a cold, blustery, rainy day and actually enjoyed it more than Okemo although it's nowhere nearly as nice. It's a revamped and a little quirky ex 9 holer. You start off on a par 3 and there are a couple of par 3's in a row. The first 4-5 holes were part of the old course and are back and forth fairways. The remainder of the front 9 and the back 9 are a more modern layout. Enjoyable (under 4 hours walking) though overpriced.

Alburgh was the surprise of the trip. They've done lots of work trying to turn it into a links style course and I think they're making lots of progress. The most enjoyable part was having no one within 3 holes of us, front or back. The front 9 is wide is wide open golf. Not too challenging but I had a good score so I enjoyed it. The back 9 is still a little rough around the edges.

Glad to hear you liked Okemo and am a little surprised at how long the round was. Usually they are ON TOP of slow play and have several rangers on the course. It's tough, even though it's short and I love that course.

20 PAT's

Jun 21, 2009
If you come back up you should give Rutland CC a shot. They have some of the purest putting surfaces you can play in the state. A real treat IMHO. Green Mountain National is a good track I'll be playing there this weekend!
Wish me luck!

OP
W

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
If you come back up you should give Rutland CC a shot. They have some of the purest putting surfaces you can play in the state. A real treat IMHO. Green Mountain National is a good track I'll be playing there this weekend!
Wish me luck!

I've played GMN several times. IMO the best course in the area. Also the most difficult if you aren't hitting it straight. This trip was about playing some "new" course though.

FWIW our waitress at dinner one night was a member at Rutland. Apparently the course is having difficulty finding/holding members. She did convice us to play Rutland on our next VT trip. The next night, at a different restaurant our waitress was an ex Rutland member and a member at GMN.

BigJim - We didn't see a single ranger at Okemo. Just lots of fellow golfers.

restofine

Jan 6, 2010
The clubhouse is a true "country" clubhouse providing plenty of New England charm, with all of the services and conveniences found at a modern facility. A fully stocked Pro Shop contains the latest in golf fashions, along with an exceptional line of golf equipment and accessories. A large practice putting green, 150-yard driving range with practice bunker and target greens provide plenty of options for practice before and after a round of golf. Tater Hill also offers golf instruction for beginners to the seasoned-pros.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
:diespam:

rosaparks

Apr 10, 2010
I played it this summer for the first time in several years. New owners and they've made lots of improvements. At least the front 9. The back is still a work in progress. If you're in the area it's worth a round.

:diespam:

🔥 Latest posts