• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Very few three putts

nm250eff

new mexico golfer
Aug 15, 2006
in the last three weeks (play 3-4 times a week). I was having trouble on my longer putts, blast some by 6-8 foot, and leave some short by 6-8 foot. I found an article online that said to look at the hole during the stroke and not the ball. I begin my routine by picking the line, and doing a practice swing or two while looking at the hole to gauge distance. Then line up over the ball and I will pick a spot on the back of the hole and repeat my practice swing. Three to four feet on a 25-30 footer has been about my worst result. Which is extraordinary for me. I was watching the FBR and the talking heads were disecting Baddley's putting stroke, and they took notice of how fast he makes his stroke after he is over the ball. I started doing the same, so I would not have time to think about any thing but repeating my stroke. I have also started a similar routine with my chipping. I will take my practice swings looking at the hole and repeat that same swing while looking at the ball during impact. I have holed three chips in the last week. Just a little FYI. I will probably go out and three putt most of my next round now for opening my big mouth.

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
I read the quiet eye one, I think putting is all confidence. If you are confident you are going to make putts. Thinking too much will only hurt. I think people come into problems with lag putting because instructors say to keep the stroke short and aggressive, I think thats the worst way to lag put. I have a long slow putting stroke on lag putts and I have no trouble getting it around 3 feet or less. Its the 3 footers that kill me.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I read the quiet eye one, I think putting is all confidence. If you are confident you are going to make putts. Thinking too much will only hurt. I think people come into problems with lag putting because instructors say to keep the stroke short and aggressive, I think thats the worst way to lag put. I have a long slow putting stroke on lag putts and I have no trouble getting it around 3 feet or less. Its the 3 footers that kill me.

Yea, thats the thing ive had trouble with is getting both strokes. Long and slow for lags and short and accelerating for inside 10 ft. My putting is overall great and i never stop getting praise about my stroke, but i always leave everything just a little short. I said to the guy i played the last tourney with who said he loved my stroke that ill take the compliment when i make some putts (because i missed 7 birdie putts inside of 10ft that day....).

Agreed putting is all about confidence. Ive also read that quiet eye thing and quite interesting. The biggest thing ppl do wrong is over think and over analyse putting. You know that long snakelike 40 footer you made that one time? that was all feel and because u didnt think, just stroked it and trusted it.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
Putting is indeed confidence. My stroke is pretty disastrous, pushiong every putt but it's still one of my fortes because I know the ball is going in the hole

🔥 Latest posts