• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Very humble now

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
Finally got out for the first time in 2012 on Wednesday. Played at Twin Oaks with the old man and two of his buddies.

And boy, did I get my butt kicked.

I'm pretty sure I didn't have a single decent tee shot with my 3 wood the entire day. I kept getting way ahead of myself, and the result would be a high push that landed in the next fairway. Started 8-7-7 on the first three holes and never really recovered. Only some solid iron play and putting kept me to a 92 - or a seven stroke loss to my 70-year old father. Lost by 9 and 12 strokes to the two other guys, none of whom I think ever hit a single drive more than 180 yards the entire day. But they weren't digging themselves out of bushes, other fairways, etc. all day.

In desperation, I pulled the driver on #18 and sent a line drive about 300 yards... into the wrong fairway.

And to think the amount of smack I had been talking all day.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Ah! The joy of youth!!!

I can recall a couple of stories. About 5 years ago, I headed out to play a round of golf at our local course. For some reason, it was an unusual time for me and none of the "regulars" were available. The pro shop told me to hook up with the 3 kids going off the first tee.
Pulled up to the tee box and told the youngsters the pro had suggested I might be able to tag along with them. One of them frowned and said they played quicly and didn't want slowed down. I replied that I might hit it a few more times then they, but promised I would not hold them up.
These strapping young lads were all in high school. Two bags were fairly new Titleist clubs. The third bag was full of new Callaway sticks. Good lookin' bags, compared to my "beat up old Pings".
All 3 hit long drives off the tee. Two were long, over in #18 fairway. The third was a long and high hook that ended up in the trees between #1 and #10. I hit a fairway wood down the middle, about 200 off the tee. As the youngsters were finding their balls and trying to get back to the correct fairway, I hit the same fairway club another couple hundred yards. I hit my 3rd on the green, to about 3 foot, and made the birdie putt. None of the 3 kids had less than a double on the Par 5 first hole.
That's the way it was the entire day. The kids were pretty upset on the first few holes. They could have been good sticks with a little common sense and course strategy. By the time we made the turn, I probably had all of them by at least a stroke/hole. And... they were beginning to loosen up and visit. We had an enjoyable back nine. I got them to talking and chattering and relaxing. Good kids. Even though they were getting their butts handed to them by someone three times their age, they had a difficult time understanding that it isn't how... it's how many.

The converse was a few years ago when one of our local courses hosted the State amateur competition. The pro shop asked a few of us if we would "host" some of the practice rounds, playing with new comers to show them the course. I drew a young man and his father who had never played the course. The boy was, if I remember correctly, 16 years old.
All day long, it was "Yes, sir" and "No, sir". The young man seemed honestly appreciative of the game and the company of his dad and I. Wow!! What a stick! At the turn, his dad took me aside and asked me to "rattle the kid's cage" a little on the back. He knew that every round couldn't be "perfect" and that there would be distractions. I began asking the young man about girl friends, cars, etc. I "accidently, dropped balls or clubs when he was going through his pre-shot routine or as he was lining up a putt. I would apologize, but his concentration was broken. It was amazing how this youngster never seemed fazed by anything I did. He just refocused and made the shot or the putt. For a 16 year old, he had the on-course maturity of a 40 year old.

I enjoy playing with "young flat-bellies". It is amazing, seeing the exuberance and physical capabilities that are wasted on youth. :>) Those that excell at the game play to score, not to show everyone how far they can hit the ball. Those that excel at the game exhibit good course etiquette and good course strategy. They are "thinkers", not "talkers".

At your age, you have the physical ability to kick your dad's fanny on the course... if you can capture the mental side of the game. Don't beat yourself up! It's a game!!! Just learn to harness the power and do what is necessary to get the ball into the cup in the fewest number of strokes.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Great post limp, it took me many years to learn these wise things.
Still learning.
IG
Ah! The joy of youth!!!

I can recall a couple of stories. About 5 years ago, I headed out to play a round of golf at our local course. For some reason, it was an unusual time for me and none of the "regulars" were available. The pro shop told me to hook up with the 3 kids going off the first tee.
Pulled up to the tee box and told the youngsters the pro had suggested I might be able to tag along with them. One of them frowned and said they played quicly and didn't want slowed down. I replied that I might hit it a few more times then they, but promised I would not hold them up.
These strapping young lads were all in high school. Two bags were fairly new Titleist clubs. The third bag was full of new Callaway sticks. Good lookin' bags, compared to my "beat up old Pings".
All 3 hit long drives off the tee. Two were long, over in #18 fairway. The third was a long and high hook that ended up in the trees between #1 and #10. I hit a fairway wood down the middle, about 200 off the tee. As the youngsters were finding their balls and trying to get back to the correct fairway, I hit the same fairway club another couple hundred yards. I hit my 3rd on the green, to about 3 foot, and made the birdie putt. None of the 3 kids had less than a double on the Par 5 first hole.
That's the way it was the entire day. The kids were pretty upset on the first few holes. They could have been good sticks with a little common sense and course strategy. By the time we made the turn, I probably had all of them by at least a stroke/hole. And... they were beginning to loosen up and visit. We had an enjoyable back nine. I got them to talking and chattering and relaxing. Good kids. Even though they were getting their butts handed to them by someone three times their age, they had a difficult time understanding that it isn't how... it's how many.

The converse was a few years ago when one of our local courses hosted the State amateur competition. The pro shop asked a few of us if we would "host" some of the practice rounds, playing with new comers to show them the course. I drew a young man and his father who had never played the course. The boy was, if I remember correctly, 16 years old.
All day long, it was "Yes, sir" and "No, sir". The young man seemed honestly appreciative of the game and the company of his dad and I. Wow!! What a stick! At the turn, his dad took me aside and asked me to "rattle the kid's cage" a little on the back. He knew that every round couldn't be "perfect" and that there would be distractions. I began asking the young man about girl friends, cars, etc. I "accidently, dropped balls or clubs when he was going through his pre-shot routine or as he was lining up a putt. I would apologize, but his concentration was broken. It was amazing how this youngster never seemed fazed by anything I did. He just refocused and made the shot or the putt. For a 16 year old, he had the on-course maturity of a 40 year old.

I enjoy playing with "young flat-bellies". It is amazing, seeing the exuberance and physical capabilities that are wasted on youth. :>) Those that excell at the game play to score, not to show everyone how far they can hit the ball. Those that excel at the game exhibit good course etiquette and good course strategy. They are "thinkers", not "talkers".

At your age, you have the physical ability to kick your dad's fanny on the course... if you can capture the mental side of the game. Don't beat yourself up! It's a game!!! Just learn to harness the power and do what is necessary to get the ball into the cup in the fewest number of strokes.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
My oldest step son got a lesson from me a few years ago that he's never forgotten...and yes, he'll beat me every time we play now.

We were playing 9 together, and stepped onto the 8th tee box with him 2 up. He's bragging, picking on me, etc. We both hit our drives, and mines appears to head just into some trees on the right. #8 is a short par 4 with a dirt road crossing the fairway near the green, ditch on each side of the road. Best play is play short of the road, pitch onto the small elevated green, pray it holds, and putt out. Well, we can't find my ball. Then, a player on #9 tee says there's a ball up by the green. Sure enough, I had apparently caught a tree just right and it kicked my ball about 5 yards short of the green. Chip and putt for birdie, he bogies, we're even. Taking honors from him, I nail my drive on #9 (straight away short par 5) straight down the middle...one of my best drives on that hole ever. He was completely stunned.

End result: I beat him by 2. 4 stroke swing on 2 holes. Yes, I rubbed it in for days. Took him a couple hours just to stop being mad. Once he calmed down, I pointed out that he let my play get into his head and that I knew I had him beat when we found my ball on #8.

Best golf lesson he ever had. Now, nothing matters on the course but HIS game, and he's very good.

Sometimes, humble pie is the best thing to eat!

OP
lamebums

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
I pointed out that he let my play get into his head and that I knew I had him beat when we found my ball on #8.

This sounds familiar. Once in a great while (it seems like about once a round or so), the old man pulls out this heroic shot from nowhere. He'll hit a ball, hit a turtle, ricochet across the cart path, get picked up by a hawk, gt dropped on the green ten feet from the hole, and then a mighty gust of wind pushes it in.

Or so it seems like.

Sure enough, I'll come apart on the next couple holes. A bad push right off the tee, a so-so recovery, a pulled short iron to the green, blade the chip across to the other side, chili dip the second chip, and then three-putt from 12 feet. Or something like that.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Last year I got paired with an older gentleman and his 16 or so year old daughter. She hit a 200yd baby draw off of every tee. Followed it up with ball on green or just short every hole. You know the rest. I left that day feeling that I had learned something.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.