• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Victory for Tiger???

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I am sensing a victory for Tiger tomorrow. Anybody else???? I think Tiger is gonna go low tomorrow and I have serious doubts the O'hair can pull another strong round out of his butt. Should be an interesting day of golf.....especially since its supposed to rain all day here tomorrow.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Obviously none of us knows, but I really don't sense O'hair dropping off much at all. He might give a few back but with a 5 shot lead going into the last rd, that's huge. Gore really crumbled the last few holes today, I was a bit surprised by that.

Still like to know where Tigers ball disappeared to on the 18th. The camera followed it to the embankment & then it just got swallowed up.

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
United States United States
i don't know if tiger will win but i think it will be really close. O'hair will buckle under the pressure and lose a lot of strokes. I'd like to see Gore come back and win it personally.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Personally, I hope he never wins again. Not likely I know, but I'm sick of the love-fest. The were interviewing Arnold Palmer today, Arnie by God, and every fricking question was Tiger this, what do you think of Tiger that Arnie?

Geez, your talking to Arnold Palmer, if it wasn't for him there probably wouldn't even be a PGA Tour today, certainly not a Champions Tour.

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
im with you dubb. I respect all Tigers done, but im sick of it all being based on him. Whether or not he is playing well, announcers, media, its all him. I love when they interview him and he says stuff like "Well I hit all my putts VERY well, they just weren't going in" well obviously he wasn't hitting them very well enough or they would be going in, lol. Cup doesn't shift and decide if the putt was good enough to warrant dropping in, HAHA! Sry for the flame of sorts. On topic answer, I don't see em pulling it out, but yes it should make for a good round to watch!

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Personally, I hope he never wins again. Not likely I know, but I'm sick of the love-fest. The were interviewing Arnold Palmer today, Arnie by God, and every fricking question was Tiger this, what do you think of Tiger that Arnie?

Geez, your talking to Arnold Palmer, if it wasn't for him there probably wouldn't even be a PGA Tour today, certainly not a Champions Tour.

I thought long and hard about how to reply to this, but almost everything was rude as heck. Sounds to me like a comment that would come from Fox News (small minded and bitter). I guess that's over the top rude too. Oh well. :)

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
Tiger has dominated the PGA on many occasions and has pretty much set the bar for the PGA tour. So of course they're going to talk about him in a lot of interviews. It's like that in almost every pro-sport, get used to it.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I have stated numerous other times on here that I freely admit, Tiger is an amazing talent. I enjoy watching him dismantle golf courses. But golf did exist BEFORE he came along. And believe it or not, it will exist after he has retired.

And I would enjoy watching him play a lot more if the announcers didn't all but drop down on their knees and blow him on national television, :laugh:

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I have stated numerous other times on here that I freely admit, Tiger is an amazing talent. I enjoy watching him dismantle golf courses. But golf did exist BEFORE he came along. And believe it or not, it will exist after he has retired.

No person is bigger than the game. Not in golf, not in football, not in baseball, etc, etc. You're correct mddubya. Tiger is an amazing talent but golf existed before him & golf will exist after him. To be fair to Tiger, I'm sure he doesn't suggest that he's bigger than golf. It's just the fawning media that can get very tiresome at times with their endless Tiger babble.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
Ok so I personally don't like that all of the coverage is on Tiger and his comeback and what not, but think of it this way. The PGA tour saw a spike in TV ratings unlike any they had ever seen before when Tiger came onto the national radar with his Masters win. Then when he got injured they saw the ratings drop back to almost pre Tiger numbers. So while Tiger is not golf, he is their TV ratings booster. This means that for awhile they are going to milk his return to gather the "golf" fans that are really only Tiger fans. It is the way of the world. The difference between golf and the other sports like football and basketball are that golf has one Tiger, where the other sports have several personalities that while they are better than most are not stand alone the best players to have ever played the game.

Well that is enough thread jacking. Personally I don't see Tiger coming from 5 back to win today, but I do think he or someone else will come in within 1 or two strokes come the 18th. Should be fun to watch.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Tiger is for golf what Micheal Jordan was for the NBA, perhaps even bigger. When Jordan left the NBA it took years for their ratings to recover and they still haven't come all the way back.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
No person is bigger than the game. Not in golf, not in football, not in baseball, etc, etc. You're correct mddubya. Tiger is an amazing talent but golf existed before him & golf will exist after him. To be fair to Tiger, I'm sure he doesn't suggest that he's bigger than golf. It's just the fawning media that can get very tiresome at times with their endless Tiger babble.

Normally I would agree. But we saw over the last 9 months that Tiger was away from the game that ratings and viewership PLUNGED. Tiger is bigger than the PGA Tour, when he plays more people watch-more people are interested that would normally not watch. If Tiger decided to stop playing on the PGA Tour tomorrow the tour would be in trouble. I hate to say it but they would. Sponsors would be dropping either the amount they pay or out all together, mainly because they would not get the return on their investment without Tiger in the mix. Tiger changes the whold business aspect of the PGA Tour, and it is a business.

Now with all that being said yes golf will go on without Tiger. As for all the coverage I am fine with it. We live in a 24 hour news cycle and people want info now, not later. If Hogan, Nicklaus, Palmer etc were playing today they would get the same amount of coverage and you guys would be bitchin' about "man I wish I didn't have to hear so much about this guy Hogan."

Me, I love the fact that I am lucky enough to watch one of THE ALL TIME GREATS and maybe the ALL TIME GREATEST golfer play golf, and I plan to enjoy every minute.

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
As we all know, golf can jump up and bite you in the ass at any time so just as feasible as it is Tiger will win, the flip-side is that O Hair will win as well or maybe neither!!!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.