• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Victory for Tiger???

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I still say O'Hair's swing deserted him on Sunday. He had a 2way miss going and was pulling the ball right out of the gate. Someone actually had a vid up on Youtube where they compared his and Tigers swings. I'm going to try to see if I can find a clip of him on Thurs. or Fri. to compare them. The one they showed from Sunday his takeaway is well inside. I'm interested to see if that is his norm or something that crept in late Sat..

How bout Jason Gore BTW.. Talk about striping it and not being able to hit the ocean from a rowboat with the putter.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I still say O'Hair's swing deserted him on Sunday. He had a 2way miss going and was pulling the ball right out of the gate. Someone actually had a vid up on Youtube where they compared his and Tigers swings. I'm going to try to see if I can find a clip of him on Thurs. or Fri. to compare them. The one they showed from Sunday his takeaway is well inside. I'm interested to see if that is his norm or something that crept in late Sat..

How bout Jason Gore BTW.. Talk about striping it and not being able to hit the ocean from a rowboat with the putter.
His brain deserted him. He simply melted under Tiger's relentless par saves.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
His brain deserted him. He simply melted under Tiger's relentless par saves.

You beat me to it. O'Hair's problem wasn't physical, it was purely mental. He made the classic mistake of trying to protect his lead instead of playing the course like he said he was going to do. He's normally quite slow, but I think he got even slower in the final round, was thinking too much about the consequences of making a mistake instead of just playing golf. :faintthud

Like most other players on Tour, he just couldn't play golf with Tiger's claws firmly embedded in his backside. :D

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
He's normally quite slow, but I think he got even slower in the final round, was thinking too much about the consequences of making a mistake instead of just playing golf. :faintthud

Is it physically possible for him to actually play slower than he did???? 3-4-5-6 practice swings, then step back & take 2 more. Step up & take 1-2 more before his caddie stopped him & changed clubs, rinse & repeat.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Is it physically possible for him to actually play slower than he did???? 3-4-5-6 practice swings, then step back & take 2 more. Step up & take 1-2 more before his caddie stopped him & changed clubs, rinse & repeat.

I played behind a group last week......Ohair must have been in that 4-some. Slowest players I have encountered in a long time.

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
In his interview O'Hair said he simply miss-clubbed on 16. The swing and intent was good, , but one club too short. And you could also say that Tiger was choking in the first 3 rounds... not so, but it seems to fit your definition.

O'Hair played poorly early on, and Tiger hit some bad shots and overcame some horrid lies, but he held together like you expect Tiger to do. He had the second best round posted for the day, so it isn't like he was just hacking it around letting O'Hair give it to him... he did some taking too.
Fair enough call. In that case it was a lapse in concentration, but was probably still brought on by not being able to handle the situation mentally, which can be considered a choke but not in the same category as fluffing the shot. The first rule of any strategy is to take the worst case scenario out of play. In this case that meant maikng sure he missed the water even if he doesn't hit it great. To hit it well and still find the water was a massive mental error. I think the coments that he was taking longer than normal over shots meant that he let the pressure of the situation get to him and he got out of his routine. This probably contributed to his demise more than anything else, as a solid pre shot routine is the safeguard against mental errors and allows you to play your best golf. If you watch Tiger on a Sunday he sticks even more rigidly to his pre shot routine and his focus intensifies even more than the first three days. That's why he almost always brings his A game on Sunday, and a big reason why he is such a great golfer.

Lyle, Tiger may do it himself some day but so far he has never played a shot that you could call a choke with the tournament on the line. He's had his bad putting days in the Masters/US Open 2007 but they weren't chokes like dropping one in the water from the middle of the fairway whilst in the lead with 3 to play.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
Didn't Tiger "dink" a couple coming down the stretch in the Masters that Zach Johnson won?

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Didn't Tiger "dink" a couple coming down the stretch in the Masters that Zach Johnson won?

I was going to mention the same thing. Didn't exactly close that one out like a beast, did he?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
During the telecast they showed a side by side comparison of their swings. They commented that they were identical and they were. It wasn't the swing it was the head. :)

And the ball in the water was from not using enough club. The shot was good. :)

Too much emphasis these days on the swing. You should have watched the Trevino's and those guys in the olden days. They still won. :)

Wi-Golfer

sssmokin and I were saying the same thing. :)

Mr Happy

Oct 17, 2008

I thought they were timing the groups now, but maybe not if Tiger is in the group (opps my bad)

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I thought they were timing the groups now, but maybe not if Tiger is in the group (opps my bad)

Tigers rate of play certainly didn't slow them down 1 bit. I think you need to chill a bit, appears as if something or someone crawled up your ass & bit you.

🔥 Latest posts