• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Video of my swing - Number 2!

lildudejds

Shut up ya dumb beaver...
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2005
I'm slowly making progress.

Here is a video of a before and after. The first clip is from one I posted a few weeks ago, and the hybrid swing is a few days ago.

I'm really trying to fix my position at the top, I just can't get that club to quit pointing inside, but I'm SLOWLY making progress with my right arm at the top.

O well, Have at it!

[video=youtube;0oCK5_87RBg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oCK5_87RBg[/video]

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
Not a bad swing at all. The key is that is your swing. You can tinker with it a little on the range. Trying to change little things here or there. But the key is to get comfortable with your swing. Hit balls over and over until you could swing in your sleep. Once you have hit tons of good shots with your swing, then you won't have to think about anything over the ball. I try to have only one maybe two keys I am thinking about when I am addressing the ball. The main key is to keep it simple. Don't think just do.

Once you have hit thousands of balls you will trust and know your swing. Trusting your swing is ten times more important than having what people say is the perfect swing.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Looks like my daughter's swing, and I don't mean that in a bad way. She struggles with the same inside takeaway and over the top move. You should get some driveway markers and swing through them. Not the greatest picture, but this is what I'm talking about. She does this drill quite often and it has made a huge difference. She was pounding the ball at a lesson today. When she pretty much stays on plane.

Kevin

THPclothes002-2.jpg

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Still too far to the inside on the backswing forcing an OTT move on the downswing. Better than the first video though.

Your club has to go more "up" on the backswing, less "around".

All you need to do is reverse what you are doing. You are on the inside on the way back, and the outside on the way down. Reverse it. Take it "outside" (read UP) on the backswing and hit the ball from the inside on the downswing.

Getting closer, but a fundamental change is still in order.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I have to take issue with something. Just because you take it away to the inside does not mean that you are making an over the top move into the ball. You might be outside of where you were on the take away but still coming from an inside path into the ball. Especially if you take it away really inside. Know what I mean? I think the term "OTT move" is overused. To me that means an outside to in path into the ball which is by no means an inevitablility if you take it away way inside. Some people may be prone to it, but it's not a must.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
I have to take issue with something. Just because you take it away to the inside does not mean that you are making an over the top move into the ball. You might be outside of where you were on the take away but still coming from an inside path into the ball. Especially if you take it away really inside. Know what I mean? I think the term "OTT move" is overused. To me that means an outside to in path into the ball which is by no means an inevitablility if you take it away way inside. Some people may be prone to it, but it's not a must.

An inside takeaway usually leads to an OTT move. I would say most are prone to it, not some, especially juniors. Are you trying to say the young man in this video is not coming OTT? He clearly is.

Kevin

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
On the second swing it doesn't look like the club is on an outside to in path to the ball. Don't watch the whole swing, just watch the club coming into impact.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
On the second swing it doesn't look like the club is on an outside to in path to the ball. Don't watch the whole swing, just watch the club coming into impact.

Club is over the top. His hands are "over the top" of where he took them back. When you take it back flat, it's almost impossible to take the club down INSIDE that line.

The ball starts left in the video also. A sure sign the club was not striking the ball in-to-out.

He needs to go more UP in the takeaway to be able to drop the club into the slot on the downswing.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Club is over the top. His hands are "over the top" of where he took them back. When you take it back flat, it's almost impossible to take the club down INSIDE that line.

The ball starts left in the video also. A sure sign the club was not striking the ball in-to-out.

He needs to go more UP in the takeaway to be able to drop the club into the slot on the downswing.

Key phrase, "that line". I understand that his downswing comes over the backswing. What i'm saying is that doesn't mean that the club is coming out to in coming into the ball. If you watch just the club coming into impact as it relates to his alignment it's coming into the ball almost perfect.
I agree that if one takes it back way inside that it's nearly impossible to come down inside of that. I'm not talking about the downswing in relation to the backswing though. I'm talkin bout the clubs path in relation to the ball and his alignment. After all... the moment of truth (impact) is all that matters. the ball starting left is more a result of a shut face is it not?

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Ha. I only watched the first swing. Now that I see the second one, there is definitely improvement, but he's still inside and coming over the top. Whether the club is fairly square at impact on the second swing is really a moot point. At his age he might as well learn to swing on plane so he doesn't have to manipulate the club and hope it gets square at impact. He needs to stay connected and go back straight/up, whatever you want to call it. When he goes back inside like that his right elbow has to fly all over the place to get the club back over. He's losing a lot of power waving that thing around at the top, too. He knows it. Read his post.

Second swing is definitely better, but it can be improved. Get some driveway markers or swing over a chair. There are drills that are easy and fun to do that can cure that. I see my daughter work on improving that swing flaw every single day.

Kevin

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Ha. I only watched the first swing. Now that I see the second one, there is definitely improvement, but he's still inside and coming over the top. Whether the club is fairly square at impact on the second swing is really a moot point. At his age he might as well learn to swing on plane so he doesn't have to manipulate the club and hope it gets square at impact. He needs to stay connected and go back straight/up, whatever you want to call it. When he goes back inside like that his right elbow has to fly all over the place to get the club back over. He's losing a lot of power waving that thing around at the top, too. He knows it. Read his post.

Second swing is definitely better, but it can be improved. Get some driveway markers or swing over a chair. There are drills that are easy and fun to do that can cure that. I see my daughter work on improving that swing flaw every single day.

Kevin

Swing over a chair? Please explain that one! I have issues with this same problem, going back to inside and coming OTT so I am very interested in the "swing over the chair" technique. At this point I will try pretty much everything and anything! LOL!

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country

Kevin

So really what you're talkin bout is a 1 plane swing then. Who really has that? Anyone who has a 2 plane swing is doing some manipulating.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Swing over a chair? Please explain that one! I have issues with this same problem, going back to inside and coming OTT so I am very interested in the "swing over the chair" technique. At this point I will try pretty much everything and anything! LOL!

Jim, I tried but can't find a good video of it. Take a folding card table chair. Put it an inch or two off your right hip with the seat facing the same way as your ass. You want the top of the back of the chair lined up along your toe line. You simply draw the club back straight so it does not hit the chair, then on the downswing it forces you to stay on plane so you don't hit the chair. Do it a bunch, likes hundreds of times, in slow motion with no ball. Stay slow at first because hitting the chair at full speed can hurt like a bitch. It's more a drill that's done without a ball.

Or if you look at the picture I posted, you can get four driveway markers and swing through those. Set one up a bit to the right and in front of your right toe. It should be placed in the ground at the same angle as the club shaft, the angle will change depending on the length of the club you're swinging. Place another at the same angle eight or ten inches in front of that one. Repeat with two others off your left hip. Swing through the opening without hitting the sticks. Go slow at first. The sticks sting. I think this is better for hitting balls. My 13 year old daughter has been doing this most every day in the back yard without a ball for a 100-150 swings, and it has really helped stop that inside takeaway. She likes it because it only takes 20 minutes or so. She also hits little pitches with the back swing going to just waste high with very little wrist cock, and the follow through to the same height. This helps to build swing plane and also promotes the hand release and sending the club head toward the target with the right arm straight and fully extended.

Hope those make sense.

So really what you're talkin bout is a 1 plane swing then. Who really has that? Anyone who has a 2 plane swing is doing some manipulating.

There's guys that play every weekend on TV that are damn close to one plane. Stricker comes to mind. Of course there is always some manipulating, especially in the weekend golfer's swing. Doesn't mean it can't be greatly improved. Our young OP is doing more than some and he knows it. That's why he posted. I'm not really sure what you want to argue here. That a big inside takeaway leads to solid ball striking if you manipulate the club enough with your arms and hands?

Kevin

OP
lildudejds

lildudejds

Shut up ya dumb beaver...
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2005
Thanks all for the replies! I have a good idea of what to work on over the next few weeks. I have heard from some "your swing is decent(obviously not great, but not terrible), just make it your swing and practice until it's consistent."

That may be a good idea for some, but I'll be transferring schools to start a PGA Gold Management Degree next year. Knowing that one day I want to be an assistant pro out of college, and one certified to give lessons, I want a fundamentally sound swing.

I think I started this inside out over the top deal I have going on when I was trying to correct my old swing my highschool, which was very furyk like, and ugly.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.