• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Vokey Spin Milled CC Wedge

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
Got my new Condition of Competition Vokey wedges in last week, complete with the 2010 grooves. Same look at address and feel while swinging. From the fairways I did not notice a great deal of spin reduction, although it was a little damp out when I played Friday and the ball seemed to skip a little more when it landed on the greens as the smaller grooves did not clear as much water from between the clubface and ball. The biggest areas affected by the new grooves was from the rough, as one would expect, and from the sand.

I spent a couple of hours on the short game area testing the release and roll that I would get from certain lies. From the thicker rough that is normally seen around the greens, the ball released about three to four feet more than it had with my older wedges with the same swing. Bunker shots were another area where the ball would release a few more feet than with the older grooves. On longer pitch to three quarter shots from the fairway, there was not a big difference in the ball stopping, I was still able to get the ball to back up when I wanted it to. The spin loss was not as great on full shots from the rough as it was with the chips from greenside rough since I was able to bring the club in a little steeper to maximize the spin generated.

I don't see the change being as big as many had made it out to be when the announcement was made that the grooves were getting rolled back. Granted, I was not playing on greens that the Tour guys will be playing next season (although we do try and keep ours between 10-13), nor is the rough at my course as thick and deep, so it is easy for me to say that.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
You knew this was coming :needpics: :prop:

Seriously, does it look any different than a regular Vokey?

OP
BStone

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
Here is a few pics of my assistant's 56 that just came in today.
vokey cc.jpg
vokey cc2.jpg

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Every ball seems to have been hit perfect on that wedge.:)

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Out of the Sand you noticed a difference in spin? I always thought that the face of the club doesn't actually contact the ball when playing bunker shots around the green, when you take the sand away from under the ball, splash shot style? I thought the spin came from having the sand whipped away from under the ball?

OP
BStone

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
I tend t take very little sand from bunkers as we have firmer traps on our course so I do get some club on the ball which resultsin higher spinning bunker shots. As a result of that style, the groove volume comes into play since less sand is moved away from between ball and club.

nixdad

Mar 4, 2008
With the new conforming grooves, do they still tear the cover off the balls?

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I tend t take very little sand from bunkers as we have firmer traps on our course so I do get some club on the ball which resultsin higher spinning bunker shots. As a result of that style, the groove volume comes into play since less sand is moved away from between ball and club.

I see, that makes sense, thought I was missing something.

OP
BStone

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
With the new conforming grooves, do they still tear the cover off the balls?

They still can tear up a ball, expecially from thter lies where you get almost the same amount of spin on the ball.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.