• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Vokey Spin Milled Swing Weight Issue

hypergolf

Mar 6, 2007
I went to a golfsmith to get some regripping done for my wedges today. Before regripping I checked the swing weight on my 58* Vokey SM wedge and it turned out to be only D2.5. Titleist website states that it should be D5. Has anyone checked their swing weight on their Vokey SM before?

Also would appreciate Cleveland CG12 owners to check their swing weight vs what was stated on their website.

Thanks.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I bought a Vokey SM because I hated the heavy weight of the Clevelands and Mizzies. :)

Don't know what it is though.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
D5 sounds kinda heavy for a lob wedge - typically sandwedges have higher swingweights, but I think lob wedges are usually in line with the gap and PW - D2-3 doesn't sound that crazy to me - plus, the difference is only about 5 grams

If you'd like to trick the scale, you can use a low weight grip to get it up to D5 - I doubt there'd be any playability difference thougvh

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
If you want to up the swing weight couldn't you use one of those Winn weights that people put in drivers and the like? Or fill the shaft with sand? :laugh:

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
If you want to up the swing weight couldn't you use one of those Winn weights that people put in drivers and the like? Or fill the shaft with sand? :laugh:

No that would lower the swing weight.

Swing weight is a ratio, not simply the total mass of the club.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
fbk is right - it would lower swingweight, which is just an arbitrary ratio based on a 14" fulcrum scale.
swingweight has been around for like 80yrs or something, but when they developed it, they were intent on trying to find an easy way to approximate/standardize MOI
I said "trick the scale" when i commented earlier because changing swingweight without altering length or headweight is not a "real" change to me

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
fbk is right - it would lower swingweight, which is just an arbitrary ratio based on a 14" fulcrum scale.
swingweight has been around for like 80yrs or something, but when they developed it, they were intent on trying to find an easy way to approximate/standardize MOI
I said "trick the scale" when i commented earlier because changing swingweight without altering length or headweight is not a "real" change to me

Exactly. Im much more concerned with static weight, or the overall mass of the club.

OP
hypergolf

hypergolf

Mar 6, 2007
D5 sounds kinda heavy for a lob wedge - typically sandwedges have higher swingweights, but I think lob wedges are usually in line with the gap and PW - D2-3 doesn't sound that crazy to me - plus, the difference is only about 5 grams

If you'd like to trick the scale, you can use a low weight grip to get it up to D5 - I doubt there'd be any playability difference thougvh

Please check Titleist website for their swing weight. D3 is my iron swing weight just fyi.

I checked my Vokey SM 58º. It swingweighted D6. Titleist grip.

Mine is Titleist grip too. I will check with my friends' wedges to see if they are inconsistant as well. Thanks.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
My first guess would be a change in weight on the grip that would affect the measurement of the swingweight but not the swingweight itself, as it is in the 14" fulcrum. Although that being said, and the fact you said it has the original Titleist grip, I also have a Ping G2 FW that had a Swingweight that is 7 points off what it should be with a heavier grip. Which means it is actually 10 points off the others that are supposed to have the same swing weight with the identical grip (as do all my clubs but that one). And I always wondered why it never felt right and I couldn't hit the darn thing.

They do make mistakes, but I am not sure what can really be done outside of lead tape.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online