• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Volunteered for the 2017 US Open.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Supposedly Erin Hills is in need of close to 5,000 volunteers for the week. Sign up online and in 4-6 weeks they let you know. Kinda weird you have to pay $175 for the clothes they want you to wear but at least nobody except volunteers can get the same stuff. Supposed to promise to work 4 shifts of 6 hrs each.

You pick 4 categories you would be willing to work, I chose marshal, grand marshal, practice greens and evacuation.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Supposedly Erin Hills is in need of close to 5,000 volunteers for the week. Sign up online and in 4-6 weeks they let you know. Kinda weird you have to pay $175 for the clothes they want you to wear but at least nobody except volunteers can get the same stuff. Supposed to promise to work 4 shifts of 6 hrs each.

You pick 4 categories you would be willing to work, I chose marshal, grand marshal, practice greens and evacuation.

SWMBO and I did this at the 2011 US Open at Congressional. The clothing fee is worth the week of golf you get out of this experience.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
One of the volunteers at Chambers Bay said they filled the 5,000 (or whatever it was) in less than 24 hours. :eek: But yea, I totally would have rather paid $175 to volunteer than the route I went.

Also, I just got my volunteer confirmation for the Web.com tournament next month here in Portland. I will be in the VIP suites, 2 days, 4-6 hour shifts, $0.00 :D

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
On a side note, my mate who's just got to Scotland for caddie duties yesterday was straight to work.
Was caddying for someone and guess who was playing in front of them practicing for the Open?
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1436826212.751719.jpg

Good ol' Bubba.

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006

I signed up too. Chose practice areas, ball position, caddie services, and disabled services. We'll see, but it sounds like it'll be fun.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country

"evacuation"?? Is that pumping out porta-johns????:D

Sounds like lots of fun!!!!!

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Got the letter today along with the bill for the clothing. I didn't get any of the 4 I picked from, they stuck me in Merchandising which the more I thought about it the better it sounded. I don't have to stand the entire time, won't be out in the sun melting, and should be pretty damn easy.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Got the letter today along with the bill for the clothing. I didn't get any of the 4 I picked from, they stuck me in Merchandising which the more I thought about it the better it sounded. I don't have to stand the entire time, won't be out in the sun melting, and should be pretty damn easy.
Cool! SWMBO and worked the 2011 event at Congressional. I recommend to all golf fans to do this at least once. Enjoying the U.S. Open as a volunteer is WAY better than as a spectator. You have your own transport shuttles, your own tents for food, rest, and only have to work 4 shifts over the whole week. You have full access to the course on the slow days (Mon, Tues) and get up close before the throngs show up. Have fun! I am never going to another Open as a spectator, but my memories as a voluteer are awesome.

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
I got disabled services, so I may get to drive a cart around the course, transporting disabled people to and fro. I was hoping for caddy services, but I did get one of the 4 I signed up for. Paid my bill and just get to wait till next year!

🔥 Latest posts