• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Volunteering v. Spectating at a PGA event?

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Well, the Bell Canadian Open is coming to Vancouver this year, and I'm excited. I was looking at the volunteer application and it looked like it'll be an interesting experience (plus you get in free).

Has anyone does this? Does it interfere with spectating too much?

The volunteer requirements are four 5 hour shifts during the week. That doesn't seem so bad unless one of them is Sunday afternoon!

S

spankdoggie

I mentioned volunteering to a friend of mine last week who did it at the Olympic Club here in San Francisco. He said it is extremely boring.

I spent a few hours on Sunday watching Vijay win the Sony Open, and it was not exactly exciting either. I wouldn't do it, but if you are young you probably should.

Hey, you going to beat Besson in that match? What is your current handicap?

All love,

spankdoggie

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
The problem with volunteering is the assignment that you may - or may not - get.

You would love being a marshal at the 18th hole in a position where you have an unobstructed view of the events.

You would hate to be assigned to the parking lot 1 mile down from the entrance to the course.

Ask them if you can pick your assignment....

OP
S

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Well, we have our choice of our top three assignments (I kinda like the idea of player transportation).

I figure if I volunteer and get a shitty assignment, they can stuff it and I'll just watch it the traditional way.

And Spank, that wasn't me, that was Classic. Besson doesn't live anywhere close to me.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Cool - go for it and let us know how it comes out...

BTW - I did work the US PGA Championship in 1984 as a green marshal and had a blast. Got to watch all the action but it was indeed quite tiring and a long day.

They did a good job of assigning a back up for you when you needed to go out for a bathroom break or eat....

Members online

No members online now.