• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Walk or Ride

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Carry. I will only ride during outings when everybody else is riding (big group playing or something). Push carts are are wimpy and the only people that should be riding are those who have bad joints or pain that prevents walking. Golf is meant to be played on your feet.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Carry. I will only ride during outings when everybody else is riding (big group playing or something). Push carts are are wimpy and the only people that should be riding are those who have bad joints or pain that prevents walking. Golf is meant to be played on your feet.

These threads always end up with someone having to make one of these in your face, confrontational comments. How about a little tolerance for your fellow golfer? You even have it in for pushcarts? 90% of the players I see or play with are either riding or pushing, regardless of age or gender. That leaves your opinion in a very small minority, mostly restricted to golfers who post comments like yours on internet forums... the people I've played with over the last 40 years couldn't care less how a person gets around the course. They're more concerned with whether one follows the rules and etiquette of the game. :prop:

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States

According to your profile, you're 18 years old.

When I was 18, I was in the Army and ran all day, carrying a rifle and wearing combat boots, a pack, and a steel helmet. Carrying a golf bag walking 18 holes probably would have seemed easier.

Now that I'm 57, neither one seems easy. So I use a wimpy push cart.

The pros don't carry their own bags and neither will I.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Just sent a PM to Fourputt... I'll post to explain to everybody that cares.

I've seen some trolling on the board lately, so I jumped on the bandwagon as this topic seemed perfect for such a thing. Not meant to offend anybody, just causing a little trouble. I seriously have no problem with carts/pushcarts.

Should've added a smiley, apparently.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I ride most of the time, only because at my main course its the same price for me. Today, I was glad, because the rain started when I was on 16. It gave me some shelter.

I find that pushing a cart hurts my back more then carrying with dual straps. Maybe I'm weird. Well, I know I'm weird, but you know.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
My pushcart has a wire basket that holds head covers, a jacket, an extra drink, all kinds of cool stuff. Plus a place for the scorecard, tees, extra balls, etc. I have no problem with carrying, but I don't know where to keep the scorecard and I hate replacing headcovers after every shot.

I'd finish with, "shoot me," but some of you would line up to do just that. :eek:

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Depends on the course & how many holes I am laying. if it's 9 holes then I would say I walk 95% of the time.....pushing my old man 3 wheeled bagboy cart of course.

18 holes I prefer to ride as I would usually be pretty damn tired by the time I got around to the 13-14th holes while walking. Course now I know the issue was heart related & hopefully I will be able to walk more 18 hole rds in the future.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
I carried my bag up until last year. I enjoy golf so much more when walking. A closer to nature and the golf course thing I guess. My game sux so I take my golf pleasures wherever I can.

By the end of last year I had to give it up. Age and infirmary are catching up. I bought a 3 wheeler like my wife's and have joined the old farts cart pushing brigade.

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
Yea i mean like i said id liek to walk more when time permits if i dont care about getting 18holes in. However if i get out after i work all day (landscaping)...i hardly ever wanna walk that much, days are long and hard, and....chances are with my crappy shots i make sometimes...i would never finish 18 before dark when getting out of work @ 5-6 THEN driving to course and get golfin. I usually have to fly. If i get out for some practice twilight ALONE....then i will just take my time if i only get 5-6 good holes in, well thatd be better then 18 rushed i guess. So i see nothing wrong with carts. Except when people act like they are 10yrs old on a go kart track. Buddies do that crap sometimes, drives me nuts...not rippin up course, just doin skids on the gravel paths and crap.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Boots on the ground and carrying as much as possible. Great exercise and relaxing.

Next up is a push cart. Pull types lead to lower back pain for me. As Clare stated you can also use it to carry gear. I plan on expanding the plastic carry case on my Sun mountain cart by cutting out the bottom.Then adding a netting to add more depth.

Finally a ride is OK if the course dictates it. Many of the modern golf courses have lengthy walks between green to next tee. One local course has 1/2 mile walk for 17th green to 18th tee.

I'm easy going and will play golf whatever way the conditions dictate. Given a choice walk and carry is the optimum.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Yani Tseng looks kind of "dykish" to me. Good player. :)

I used to love to carry my clubs and walk. Then the back got worse and I got older so I pulled/pushed a hand cart. Now I can only stand to do that 9 holes before the back gives out so it's riding most of the time. I really don't notice any change in the game though no matter what I'm doing, walking or riding. :)

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
At my course walking is almost not an option. The tee boxes are so far from most greens and the elevation changes are brutal that you about need a pack mule.

I measured several holes tonight on Google Earth and most run from 130-150 yds. from green to next tee. Some are longer than that and some are up or down some scary hills. Back when it was colder they had to close the course a few times because of ice on the cart paths. :laugh:

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
i always try to carry, mainly because i thing i played better do to the fact that i can't rush but so much when I'm walking. plus it's exercise

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
There is a 9 hole course here in Lodi that I will not walk. It's on the side of a hill/small mountain & literally 3 fairways run sideways on this hill. It's damn near impossible to keep your ball in those fairways. Anyways it's a hell of a hike up & down, the carts tend to struggle at times.

Members online

No members online now.