• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Walked off the course today

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Walked or rather drove off the course today after 4 holes. Called & was told they weren't too busy. Get there & the place is packed & the starter tells me it's going to be a bit since they are having issues with slow groups.

He was sending some "marshalls" out on the course in a futile attempt to speed up play a bit. I hooked up with 2 other guys & it was extremely slow going. Hit a shot & wait & wait & wait. The 2 groups in front of us were hacking it up real bad.

90 minutes & we just tee'd off on the 5th, get to our approach shots & the group in front still isn't even on the green. I gave up, picked up my ball & said adios. Not in the mood for a 6+ hr rd that I wouldn't even be able to finish since it's dark by 7:00-7:30.

Am just going to quit even attempting to play on sundays from now on until all the darn tourists leave.
<!-- / message -->

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
The golf season is about over in Wisconsin, isn't it? Don't you guys usually have snow by the first of September? Better get in those "6-hour rounds" while you can!!!:p:p:p

Very seldom do I venture out on a weekend afternoon. We are just so spoiled by playing early... first off on Saturdays and Sundays... that it just seems like an eternity manuvering around a slow course. In many areas, age/maturity has blessed me with patience. A crowded course on a slow afternoon is not one of those areas.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I usually play Sunday around here, because it's the slower and cheaper of the weekend days to play.

However. One rule is.. I must, must, must be tee'd off by 10AM Sunday, because the "after church" hacks start coming out, and you'll easily have a round that takes 5 hours.

I'm a hack, too.. But in a cart, with two of us, we can finish 18 around 3 hours or so. Just shy of 4 hours is comfortable to me.

But I gave up on that. I just grab my normal 9:18 tee time every Saturday and leave it at that.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
They should have a rule that says.. if yours just garbage at golf.. or your game has left you for the day, you should have to tee off after a certain time.. With the rest of the slow players.. Then eventually, they could all pressure and bitch each other out for playing slow.

While the rest of us, get our 3-4 hour rounds done, and we're back at home kicked up, buying new clubs and drinking beer, and eating Hooters.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Walked or rather drove off the course today after 4 holes. Called & was told they weren't too busy. Get there & the place is packed & the starter tells me it's going to be a bit since they are having issues with slow groups.

He was sending some "marshalls" out on the course in a futile attempt to speed up play a bit. I hooked up with 2 other guys & it was extremely slow going. Hit a shot & wait & wait & wait. The 2 groups in front of us were hacking it up real bad.

90 minutes & we just tee'd off on the 5th, get to our approach shots & the group in front still isn't even on the green. I gave up, picked up my ball & said adios. Not in the mood for a 6+ hr rd that I wouldn't even be able to finish since it's dark by 7:00-7:30.

Am just going to quit even attempting to play on sundays from now on until all the darn tourists leave.
<!-- / message -->

Yo, Greg,

Was this xmas mountain???? If not what course??? Just wondering so I do not get caught by the same scam.

Played Northern Bay yesterday through a internet discount at $55 and Wild Rock today at $50. Was not too busy. The starter did pair us up with another group at Wild Rock which was NOT necessary. Turned out the gentlemen were nice enough guys but would have rather played as a two some

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I can't remember the last time I've played on a weekend, it's just that bad.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Yo, Greg,

Was this xmas mountain???? If not what course??? Just wondering so I do not get caught by the same scam.

Played Northern Bay yesterday through a internet discount at $55 and Wild Rock today at $50. Was not too busy. The starter did pair us up with another group at Wild Rock which was NOT necessary. Turned out the gentlemen were nice enough guys but would have rather played as a two some

Rock River CC in Waupun.

I wanted to play either Sentry World or Northern Bay today but the $40 tee times on golfnow were snapped up too damn quickly. $$ is a bit tighter right now so $40 is the highest I am willing to go.

As far as being paired up, so long as the course is busy then I am fine with it. Don't care for it but I understand. However it's also not my fault nobody else signed up for the same tee time so why should I be punished by playing with strangers?

Often I have either jumped up a hole or told the twosome to go ahead as soon as we are out of sight of the starter.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I went out yesterday at 4:30 PM, after watching the Solheim Cup, and there were maybe 5 people on the whole course. :) I dawdled along and walked 9 holes in 2 hours.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
Went out friday as a twosome with my uncle and we actually got behind a foursome that was trying to stay in front of us. We teed off at like 3:30 figuring we could get in a pretty quick round. They had two guys that would pick the ball up before they holed out and would go sit in the cart while the other two finished. They actually told the cart girl to tell us to slow down. We got to a couple of tee boxes when they were pulling off and they wouldn't let us play thru. I was really pissed....they went to the clubhouse at the turn and we went on to #10. Smoked the back nine after getting around those morons.

Jason

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country

<!-- / message -->
What did you shoot?

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Went out friday as a twosome with my uncle and we actually got behind a foursome that was trying to stay in front of us. We teed off at like 3:30 figuring we could get in a pretty quick round. They had two guys that would pick the ball up before they holed out and would go sit in the cart while the other two finished. They actually told the cart girl to tell us to slow down. We got to a couple of tee boxes when they were pulling off and they wouldn't let us play thru. I was really pissed....they went to the clubhouse at the turn and we went on to #10. Smoked the back nine after getting around those morons.

Jason

I play up peoples asses when they do this. It's stupid. Don't give me the stink-eye, and huff and puff when I'm rolling up to the tee-box when your group has finished your "long drive" contest, and you guys have to go find your dozen balls.

Don't get upset when I poke my drive out there as your pulling away.

Sometimes if I'm just out messing around.. When they leave the green, I'll hit my approach, go get my ball off the green, and ride to the tee-box to play through, or watch intently from my cart as they get all flustered.

Just move over, there is no shame.. It's just the game!

295yards

May 5, 2009

<!-- / message -->

Showed up early for my tee time and there was 3 groups on the first tee waiting to tee off! By the time my tee time came and past there were four groups now. I reluctantly tee'd off and ventured out on the course with my wife, of all people.
It was hit, wait and wait some more...
On litterally every tee there was some one out in the fairway waiting to hit to a green,,, someone on the tee waiting to hit to the fairway,,, another group waiting on the tee too,,, than a new group showing up just as the green cleared and the people in the fairway preparded to shoot,,, all four of them.
My round was horribly slow and I somehow manged to play a full nine,,,3 1/2 hours later. Passing by the clubhouse I got to the 10th hole and now there was 3 groups waiting on the tee. I had enough and went back to the clubhouse to voice my concerns.
Which took 15 mins. for anyone to come see me.
I asked how far apart tee times were booked and was told 6mins!!!
The guy went off on me when I asked for a refund for the back nine. He said I was delusional, and if I didn't think 7hours + was acceptable on a Sunday that I should spend 75g's on a private membership or bugger off.
I knew I was getting nowhere with this hot head so I asked for a number of someone I could speak to.
When I got home I called and guess who answered,,,the hot head. I had enough and told him he was a prick and that I was fully going to find someone above him to voice my complaints and express what he had said to me about 7+ hours being acceptable.
The course offered me 4 green fees and two carts as coutesy. Thank god this organization has multiple courses, because i expressed i would never go back to that course.
3 years before this, the only other time I ever played that course, ( a wedding party thing ) we finished 12 holes in 6 1/2 hours before having to leave to leave, thank god, to go to the wedding rehearsal.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Weekend golf can be brutal, no doubt. Like someone else said, if you tee off early enough on a Sunday to beat the church crowd you may be okay though.

But this past Saturday me and my youngest son were playing. We weren't playing multiple balls, and certainly not playing slow. But in spite of this, we had several groups coming up behind us, pushing us to play faster. Exactly when did golf become a race? Personally, I prefer to play a nice leisurely round of golf, enjoying not only the round, but the fresh air, the smell of the fresh cut grass. By this I don't mean I take forever to play 9 or 18 holes, but exactly what is the purpose of racing up to your ball, running up and hitting before you even catch your breath?

We let the 1st 2 groups play through, the 3rd hit down on us twice. The 2nd time I buried their balls in the ground by running over them. We were in the fairway waiting for the green to clear, which they could easily see.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.