• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Walking away.... for now.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
It's time for a break from this game. I've been frustrated with my play for too long, and its stressing me out. My handicap has ballooned 3 strokes this year, and worse, I'm not having fun. I haven't touched a club in a week, and I'm not going to until I have a white hot passion to hit balls again. I'm getting a ton done around the house, though!

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I hear ya Clug, I'm pretty much in the same shape. I'm going to stay a week down at my Dad's in the country, work on my boat and see if it clears my head.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Yeah, I hear ya on the break. I haven't played since the end of July and find myself NOT missing it as much as I thought I would. I sold all my clubs to help pay for an upcoming trip and don't plan to play again until next season at the earliest. I just need a break, like you I found myself not enjoying it...

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
When did anyone start ENJOYING golf? I must have missed the memo stating that it was supposed to be fun x.x

No doubt, we'll hear from you again, Jon. Do what you need to do. You're too good a player to let it get to you. What's been killing you? Driver? Missing greens? Missing putts? Or just an overall inability to execute anything consistently?

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
When did anyone start ENJOYING golf? I must have missed the memo stating that it was supposed to be fun x.x

No doubt, we'll hear from you again, Jon. Do what you need to do. You're too good a player to let it get to you. What's been killing you? Driver? Missing greens? Missing putts? Or just an overall inability to execute anything consistently?

For sure. I think golf is worse than binge drinking for your body and mind...

Good luck to you. I think a break from the game can do wonders, and the itch will come back eventually.

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
What's been killing you?

Its the shanks again. Last I played, it was this extremely tight track. I would aim my driver at the left trees, and hit it as hard as I could. Perfect fade right into the left side of the fairway. Step up with wedge, (or 9 or 8 or whatever) and shank it straight into the woods. Ended the day chipping 5 irons from 80 yards trying to just get it near the green. Just brutal.

If my iron ballstriking was what it was last year, I'd be challenging par. Instead, I'm in the mid 80's. I just need the break to reset. I could go hit 1000 balls and get into playing shape for a week, or take 3 weeks off and just let it happen naturally. I'm practicing the wrong things.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'm about to give myself a week off. Been playing 6 rounds a month, and need to just stop. I've lowered my handicap, shot some great rounds this summer, but I'm starting to slip I feel. I'm gonna take a week off, schedule a short lesson to tweak my swing, and take all of that to the range and just work on it slowly.

Might hit it hot and heavy back in about 2-3 weeks, or atleast do 9 holes during the week or something to just clear my head.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Just take your time, golf will be there when your ready.

I've had some GREAT shots, but I'll be damned if every other round I get a slice off the tee. Nothing bad, but enough to piss me off. Then I pull hook the damn thing next time. Top and thinned irons..

Selling your equipment is a easy way NOT to be enticed to play eh?

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
Jon, just make sure you start playing by next spring because we still have to get a round in. :)

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Clug,

What is the thing in your avatar picture? Kind of looks like a smoke detector.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
I took 3 years off from golf a while ago, came back, played one practice 18 then entered a comp' with zero expectations and won it with my best ever gross score!

Then I started thinking about how to get better and promptly everything turned to crap again. It's like some kind of cruel joke.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Clug,

I don't care if you NEVER play golf again...just keep coming back here, my friend! ;)

I haven't played all summer. My time's been devoted to my family and my company. The break has been nice, and I know I'll play more in the future. Just, right now, it's not the time for me.

Next time you play, Clug, go with the attitude "I don't care what I shoot or how I play, I'm just going to hit the ball and enjoy 18 holes"...and then do exactly that. No practice other than a mild warm up, just go around 18 for the pure fun of being out. If you can do it, it'll make a huge difference.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Good on you for doing this, Clug.

I didn't plan on it but I've managed to kind of step away from the game for the last month and a half or so. Like you, I was playing more with the hosel than the club face... not fun at all. Unlike you though, I was even hoseling my 80 yard 5 iron shots.

In my case I think it was due to the changes I've made to my body this year. I started getting back in shape in January and have managed to loose 35 pounds. Nothing in my swing felt "right" and so I struggled in all aspects of my game. My weight has levelled off and drills with my weighted club are starting to feel familiar again. I think I might even head to the chipping green in a week or so.

295yards

May 5, 2009
Sounds like time for a break for sure.

If I could offer a suggestion it would be to possibly work lightly on any weaknesses in your body, like flexibilty in the calves and hams and shoulders, and maybe make some pratice swings here or there.

I took a small break and went back to some terrible golf.

I bet when you first started mid 80's woulda been one hell of a round and you probably never shanked anything then when you weren't as good.

Members online

No members online now.