• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Walking vs Riding

Do you prefer walking and pulling/carrying your bag, or riding a golf cart?

• Walking

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Riding a cart

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
United States United States
For as long as I've been playing - going on 38 years or more - I've always enjoyed the walk. It's not really the walk itself - my playing style, pace, course management, AND my fitness really depend on walking. I've played rounds from carts - some courses require it as we all know. I like to walk to my ball, planning or sorta planning what I'm going to do next. I'm limber. When I'm walking in a group with carts, I'm usually ahead of them. It's a better, cleaner, faster game walking.
I played from a cart today. My buddy texts me - hey you want to share a cart? I forgot my push cart. So I say, sure. He tells me he paid for it already. What the hell - 3rd day in a row playing, feet are a little tender. Anyway, it really throws me off, playing from a cart. I never know what club I want to hit until I'm standing over my ball. Never. I need to see the lie and get the yardage. With my pull cart and bag right there, I have all my clubs right there next to me. With a driving cart - you have to get out of the cart (I wasn't driving) walk around the cart to the ball, decide on your club, go back to the cart, pull the club, back to the ball, decide it's the wrong club but hit anyway. No. And sometimes you have to pull 3 or 4 clubs because you can't drive anywhere near your ball - or you get caught with totally the wrong club and the cart is 75 yards up by the green. Another thing, my clubs get all mixed up, because the bag is facing the wrong way.
I'm 68 and I'm going to keep walking my rounds as long as my body cooperates. So far, so good.
I assume most people who read and post on a golf forum are pretty serious golfers and would be surprised if most didn't agree. I'm gonna start a poll. What the heck.

Last edited:

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
It's amazing, how mental the game is. I hope I'm still playing and enjoying at 68. Kudos.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Really depends...

If I'm playing by myself, walk. Playing in a group of semi-serious golfers, walk.

If I'm playing with friends for fun, ride.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Used to walk until I moved to Orlando. Mandatory cart usage at pretty much every course in Orlando turned me into a cart rider.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Mandatory, WTF? Because of all the old people?
It’s a tourist town and full of resort courses. They are not designed to be walked, they have long rides between holes to thread between neighborhoods and/or hotel grounds. Besides, more revenue from cart rentals as the price is usually built into the greens fees. The few local courses that you could walk on started to get sold off to developers in the mid 2000’s so courses that allow walking are even more scarce.

In Texas, once summer comes (next week) you need the shade a cart provides unless you like being extra crispy.

🔥 Latest posts