• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wanted: Low spin driver info

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I have a friend who is hounding me to find him a "touresque" (as Rock puts it) driver head. He has always played Titleist drivers and normally around 8.5*. He currently has a UST V2 shaft in his 905 (T or S) and still launches it too high. I would say that when I've caddied for him he is in the top 30% for driving distance in tourneys.

Which tour version head offers the best (at least by reputation) combination of Low Spin with High Launch. I'm looking at the Hibore XL Tour, FT-5 Tour, TM R7 460 TP, TM Burner TP, and TM Superquad TP. Any thoughts on these or other heads?

Also, what about shaft considerations. He is a very pure ball striker and plays at about a 3 hcp. He likes feel in shafts vs. boardiness.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Geek DCT is the lowest spinning driver head available, I think. So much so that it's recommended you go up 1.5-2 full degrees from your normal loft. Based on what you've said there, maybe he ought to try one in a 9.5.

If he likes feel... get in touch with Rory (Indacup here at Shottalk). He offers a BB Solutions shaft which is said to have outstanding feel. He might be able to quote you on a head as well. Can't promise you that, though.

Diamana Blue also rings a bell for a feel shaft. I'd try the Solutions first, for the sake of price and originality.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I agree, talk to Rory, I believe the Renegade is quite low spin. The lowest spin driver I have hit is a Bridgestone though.

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
Geek DCT is the lowest spinning driver head available, I think. So much so that it's recommended you go up 1.5-2 full degrees from your normal loft. Based on what you've said there, maybe he ought to try one in a 9.5.

If he likes feel... get in touch with Rory (Indacup here at Shottalk). He offers a BB Solutions shaft which is said to have outstanding feel. He might be able to quote you on a head as well. Can't promise you that, though.

Diamana Blue also rings a bell for a feel shaft. I'd try the Solutions first, for the sake of price and originality.

I will get in touch with Rory. I was thinking Diamana as well. Will look into the Geek

I agree, talk to Rory, I believe the Renegade is quite low spin. The lowest spin driver I have hit is a Bridgestone though.

Didn't know that about the Bridgestone. Thanks

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
He's referring to the J33R head, FYI. The Geek DCT is the lowest spinning, and also longest hitting clubhead i've ever heard of, but it's not very forgiving. If your friend is a 3 cap he'll be able to put it to good use. do it!

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
By lowest spin, you mean a club that has the cog 'raised' nearer the centre of the face? Really, what this guy needs is maybe lower loft and maybe even a higher weight shaft, with lower torque, to give him stability, plus a stiffer tip, and then you can even look at a harder ball, and even then a combinati of all or some of these. Its not just a case of changing heads.

The Geek doesn't have magic lower spin qualities, it just has a higher 'tour-like' cog. But also remember you have more loft on the top of a head than you do at the bottom, so maybe this guy is just teeing the ball up to much? Ask him to tee it lower and go with a Pro V1x before he buys anything. And check his angle of attack.

Irish

May 9, 2007
how can he like feel in a shaft when he plays the ultimate board (v2)??:laugh:

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Renegade = low Spin. Talk to Rory.:laugh:

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
By lowest spin, you mean a club that has the cog 'raised' nearer the centre of the face? Really, what this guy needs is maybe lower loft and maybe even a higher weight shaft, with lower torque, to give him stability, plus a stiffer tip, and then you can even look at a harder ball, and even then a combinati of all or some of these. Its not just a case of changing heads.

The Geek doesn't have magic lower spin qualities, it just has a higher 'tour-like' cog. But also remember you have more loft on the top of a head than you do at the bottom, so maybe this guy is just teeing the ball up to much? Ask him to tee it lower and go with a Pro V1x before he buys anything. And check his angle of attack.

He already tees the ball lower than most I've seen in an attempt to combat his high drives. He does play the Pro V1x or HX 56 Tour. He plays the 76g V2 but he plays an R-flex due to the bore through Titleist. He still hits it very, very straight. Last time I caddied for him one guy in our group just started calling him "Vanilla" because of his boringly straight drives.
I think you are dead on with a higher COG head. He needs to move to that to get better results. He has very little roll with his drives.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I think you are dead on with a higher COG head. He needs to move to that to get better results. He has very little roll with his drives.

Cleveland HiBore XL Tour.

Highest COG anf lowest spin. And, if he's using the HX.56, it's what the doctor ordered.

I'd put in another vote for the Geek DCT. It was a full 1000 rpm less spin than the FT-3 I have in the same loft, same launch.

R35

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
He already tees the ball lower than most I've seen in an attempt to combat his high drives.
This might be counter productive, he might be hitting slightly down on the ball (there is controversy on whether hitting down on the ball affects ball flight at all but I find that it does)

bwalker19

CPGA Professional
Feb 18, 2008
If he is still hitting the ball "too high" with an 8.5 905 and he has a V2 shaft then it is almost guaranteed his angle of attack on the golf ball. The v2 in an R flex without seeing his swing does not sound like a very good shaft for him. What is his swing speed like? if its over 110 mph he should look at getting something heavier closer to 85-90 grams in a stiff or even x flex, it wont have the boardy feeling if he gets a lower kick. low kick with a stiff tip with give him the high launch that you pretty much need, with a lower spin rate.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada

Going up in loft completely eliminates the low spin. This negates the whole point of using a low(er) spinning head.

Also teeing the ball lower is most likely the cause of his problems. Teeing the ball higher and hitting it on the upswing actually reduces spin.

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
If he is still hitting the ball "too high" with an 8.5 905 and he has a V2 shaft then it is almost guaranteed his angle of attack on the golf ball. The v2 in an R flex without seeing his swing does not sound like a very good shaft for him. What is his swing speed like? if its over 110 mph he should look at getting something heavier closer to 85-90 grams in a stiff or even x flex, it wont have the boardy feeling if he gets a lower kick. low kick with a stiff tip with give him the high launch that you pretty much need, with a lower spin rate.

His SS averages 108. He had a GD YS-6 (stiff) but didn't like it much. He then tried the V2 (stiff) in his 905 but it "felt" too stiff for his likes so he switched to a Regular and likes the feel much better.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online