• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wanted to Say "Hi!"

winders

Sep 23, 2006
Hey folks!

My name is Scott and I am 45 years old and live in the San Jose area of Northern California. I was born and raised in Pasadena, CA. I am 6' 3" and weigh 215 lbs.

I played a little bit of golf in high school and a for a while after I graduated. Nothing real serious and certainly not on a regular basis.

I've been shooting Skeet (more expensive than golf!) for the last 3 years but decided that I should spend more time with my wife so I have picked up her game (obviously golf).

My old clubs, purchased in the late 70's or early 80's, are Wilson X31 irons and Staff driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, and a Ping Pal putter.

I bought some new clubs last week. I went in to a shop and spent a long time hitting a variety of clubs and getting fitted. I tried a variety of Ping, Taylormade, Callaway, Wilson, Nike, Nickent, and Cleveland game improvement irons. The irons I hit the best and liked the feel of the best were the Nike Slingshot Tour irons with the stiff steel shaft. I need them and an inch longer and +2 degrees lie.

I tried a bunch of drivers from many of the same companies. The one I hit the best was the Taylormade (R7?) 425. That was until the Nike SQ 460 Tour with Diamana 83 shaft was put in my hands. I got that club for a great price. I like the Nike SQ 4 wood and the Nike Slingshot Hybrid (17 degrees) too. I also got a Nike SV 56 degree wedge. I will end up with either a 52 or 60 degree SV wedge as well.

I ended up with a Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 (35"). I wasn't really planning on buying such an advanced and expensive putter, but I got really lucky on an eBay auction and got a brand new one still in plastic for a very good price.

Anyway, I expect the Nike irons to be more forgiving than the ancient forged blades I was using. Any feel or control I am giving up was lost on me anyway. The new driver, fairway wood, and hybrid are much easier to hit with than the old wood Wilson Staff driver and fairway woods.

I used to shoot in the low 90's. I seem to score about the same today. My plan is to take lessons and to practice an play often. I am looking forward to the journey!!

Scott

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Welcome to the board Scott, hopefully you will be relating your trials and tribulations in the months to come. Nice set of clubs, I am not a fan of Nike clubs, but at least they're not Pings.

OP
W

winders

Sep 23, 2006
Davebud,

Thanks for the welcome!!

I didn't go into the store thinking I was going to be buying Nike irons. I figured that Nike made nice shoes but I would leave the irons to a company making them a bit longer. I went in thinking I would get the Taylormade R7 XD or RAC LT irons. But I also new that I should ignore what brand club was in my hand and hit them to see what felt the best. We used a swing monitor system of some type to see how I was hitting the balls.

To my surprise, I hit the Nike Slingshot Tour irons noticeably better than any other irons. So I put my bias aside and bought the irons I hit the best. I did the same with the driver. The fairway wood choice was a tossup between Taylormade and Nike so I went with Nike to match the driver. I also hit the Nike Slingshot Hybrid as well as any other Hybrid so I bought that too.

I am more into performance than I am into aesthetics. The Nike Slingshot Tour clubs look nice at address. They are not too big or bulky looking. And I love how I hit the ball with them.

Easy choice really....

Scott

🔥 Latest posts