• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wanting your opinion on a set of new clubs.

SpoiledRotten

May 11, 2010
My wife and I decided that we would each get a new set of clubs for our 10th anniversary. I'm not on the pro tour, so I'm not looking to spend a couple of thousand on one set. I'm planning on a budgeting about 700 - 800.00 for a set? What could I look at in the price range? What would you recommend? I'm also thinking about 5 - PW, SW, Driver, 2 W and 3 W. Thanks, in advanced.

BTW... what is an AW?

Randy

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
You can build a set for that price range, and a really good set. But it won't be the latest and greatest. Off the top of my head, a set of Wilson Staff Ci or Di7's is selling for about $250 ish right now. A 2008 Burner driver is about $150, A set of Adams Tom Watson wedges is $99 right now at TGW.com.

AW is attack wedge, generally about a 52 or 50º wedge.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
You can build a set for that price range, and a really good set. But it won't be the latest and greatest. Off the top of my head, a set of Wilson Staff Ci or Di7's is selling for about $250 ish right now. A 2008 Burner driver is about $150, A set of Adams Tom Watson wedges is $99 right now at TGW.com.

I'd say that is a hell of a set mddubya speak of. Wilson Staff Ci7 go new for $300. Great irons, my iron actually. Driver you can get almost anything from last year for under $150. TM Burner 09, FT-IQ, Adams Speedline, Nike Dymo, all go around that price or even less. The Adams Tom WAtson WEdge SEt is an awesome set of wedges. Don't get distracted by the ridiculous price of $30 a piece ($99 for the three set). They will perform as good as you need them too.

There you have a $550 set, and add any 3W (used is better due to the incredible low prices. YOu can get a TEE CB1 for $60, a TM Burner for around $80, etc).

OP
S

SpoiledRotten

May 11, 2010
Wow! I thought I'd get laughed off the forum for posting that budget, but it seems that I really can get a pretty nice sack of sticks for that amount. Thanks, guys, and I'm going to keep checking back here for more ideas. Keep them coming if you have more suggestions.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Now a set for your wife will be a bit harder. Personally, I'd suggest building her a set of Maltby clubs, either the Ladies line, or the Glider line of irons. Tour Edge's ladies line, Moda, are really nice and sometimes you can find some good deals on them. Check out Rock Bottom Golf.com.

OP
S

SpoiledRotten

May 11, 2010
Thanks, mddubya. Never heard of some of these name brands. Now you know why I'm asking the experts!

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Adams has some very interesting sets for women which go I think around $600 (The AOS series). Might be worth taking a look at them.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States

I have never heard of an "attack wedge". Someone may blast me for being wrong but, I always thought AW stood for Approach Wedge...AKA Gap Wedge. You can call it an Ass Wedgie if you want. Basically the the AW fills the gap between a PW and a SW.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
I have never heard of an "attack wedge". Someone may blast me for being wrong but, I always thought AW stood for Approach Wedge...AKA Gap Wedge. You can call it an Ass Wedgie if you want. Basically the the AW fills the gap between a PW and a SW.

I think it's approach, too - Nike calls theirs "attack wedge," but they were the first I saw do so. I think they were just trying to use an established letter and put some "rarrr" in it for marketing or something.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I stand corrected. Most companies do call it an approach wedge. I won one off the radio a while back by some company called Carnivore? They called theirs a attack wedge, it was stuck in my head I guess?

OP
S

SpoiledRotten

May 11, 2010

I don't feel quite so bad now. Seems to have several names. I've given some of the common clubs in my bag some pretty good names in the past. :biglol:

Thanks, yet again, guys!

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I stand corrected. Most companies do call it an approach wedge. I won one off the radio a while back by some company called Carnivore? They called theirs a attack wedge, it was stuck in my head I guess?

should be called a profit maker wedge, because the only reason you need it is because the oems have jacked pw lofts to 45* so now you need another wedge to fill the damn gap this created. guess who wins here?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Some of the names I've given my clubs couldn't even be published in the members section.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007

Yeah, same premise I think with Nike - they wanted to make their club sound edgy or mean or awesome or something. Whateva.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
should be called a profit maker wedge, because the only reason you need it is because the oems have jacked pw lofts to 45* so now you need another wedge to fill the damn gap this created. guess who wins here?

Doesn't really matter when the sets start at 4 instead of 3.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.