• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Warmest gloves

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
There seem to be a high majority of cold weather people out here.

Last year I started developing a problem with my hands (Digital Vasculitis) that is similar to Frostbite when they get cold. Basically poor circulation issues. Where they get cold fairly easily, turn white and have poor circulation. Fortunately it is getting better, but still becomes a problem in the winter.

Anyone recommend the warmest gloves they can imagine, hear of or used??? I really only need them for limited activity such as snow blowing or when out in the cold, so mobility is probably lower on my list than warmth. Although I would like to maybe stay in a glove as opposed to a Mitten just so I can still grip things easier. Plus I am not sure I really need a mitten. I figure I will likely be willing to pay around $100, as I figure they are going to last me a while and be worth the money.

Also, I guess for anyone that does something in extreme cold, if there are recommendations for types of liner or layes they use if necessary. I figure I will likely go with GoreTex, if that is the best recommended.

Not sure they really need to be heated or anything, unless that is something someone has used. I have a fairly cheap pair of bigger winter gloves, that I picked up off a rack somewhere years ago that I use for such things, but this is the first year where after about 30-40 minutes in the cold and snow for snow blowing or such, my hands do get chilled for probably the first time in my life.

Fortunately I have a pair of Sorel boots I picked up about 8-9 years ago that are rated to 110 below, so my feet usually sweat and never get cold. I could live with the same for my hands :)

edit 1 - BTW, this is something I was medically treated for, so I do have a pretty good grasp on how to deal with the issue.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Thanks!!!

I actually went out today, our area sucks for retail. Went to target and they didn't have them here. I went to about 10 stores and fortunately at the end I remembered they had a ski place up the road. Went there to either look at those or also read Marmots were really good. They didn't have the Marmots but had those, Gordinis, and Burtons. The Gordinis were marked down from last years model from $80 to $40 and while the Burtons were Goretex, they were $69. The guy in the store said the Gordons while not as waterproof may likely be warmer. So hopefully they do the trick, they have leather (or some kind of synthetic leather) outers, and lined with Goose down, and still waterproof. Figure as ski gloves they have to hold up pretty well. They felt a bit better than the Hotfingers.

Thanks again.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
You already got them. And you did say "gloves" in your OP. But for warmth, you want mittens.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Agreed. I've never been treated for circulation issues in my hands, but I must have something going on. My hands get cold in 55-60* temperatures.

Mittens ARE the way to go, for warmth. And it's a lot easier to tuck one of those hand-warmers inside a mitten, down at your fingers where you need it.

Eracer, would you like to wear mittens together, someday?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Agreed. I've never been treated for circulation issues in my hands, but I must have something going on. My hands get cold in 55-60* temperatures.

Mittens ARE the way to go, for warmth. And it's a lot easier to tuck one of those hand-warmers inside a mitten, down at your fingers where you need it.

Eracer, would you like to wear mittens together, someday?
Can we hold hands and skip, skip, skip to my lou?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
The really good snowmobile gloves were always the warmest I could find. And if you throw a hand warmer "disposeable packet" inside them after activating you'll really be warm.

Or find some fur lined gloves...

:D

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Yeah, as mentioned in the initial post I knew mittens where better because the air inside, although I figured if the gloves didn't do the trick, I would get Mittens as well, as I knew I would probably still need a good pair of gloves.

I am also seriously thinking of getting one of those hand sock things that football player wear around their waste as well.

I kinda figure the cheap pair I had were almost good enough.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
For the future, these guys sell awesome outdoor stuff and it's all quality.

Gloves and Mittens: Men's Gloves at REI.com | 100% Satisfaction Guarantee | Customer Reviews

R35
Actually that was my first thought to save the trouble and REI, Cabelas and EMS are actually the first place I checked. Used to Camp alot and they always were one of the top places for gear. Although I decided they were gloves something I had to buy in person because I have found large pairs that were big enough, and then found XXL that were not big enough. Just not real consistent in sizing, and since I was planning to spend a bit, gloves that are too small are no good. Need the air in there.

The pair I bought are XL and fit a little big, which I though may be good on maybe getting a liner later. The Burton's I tried were XXL and they felt real tight in relation, but the guy at the store thought it may have been because of the liner.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Very well.

We have the Canadian version of REI up here called Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC). They have a fantastic return policy and shipping is stupid cheap, even for returns. I buy alot via the net and if I ever send something back, I get the other size in record time.

I got these for my birthday from the inlaws last year and they are so bloody warm, I can rarely wear them, even at -25*C. It has to be at least -30 to wear them, so bloody warm.

MEC Howler Gloves (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op

R35

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Yeah, as mentioned in the initial post I knew mittens where better because the air inside, although I figured if the gloves didn't do the trick, I would get Mittens as well, as I knew I would probably still need a good pair of gloves.

I am also seriously thinking of getting one of those hand sock things that football player wear around their waste as well.

I kinda figure the cheap pair I had were almost good enough.
I missed that in your original post.

I need short sentences.

Seperated by a blank line.

Or my poor brain skips words.

Too much Rum.

:faintthud

🔥 Latest posts