• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Was I in the right?

btdickey99

Aug 3, 2008
Burlington, NC
Country
United States United States
Well the other day I was playing a course with an older gentleman that recently just started playing 2 months ago. We moved pretty fast through the front side without seeing a single person. As we finished up 9 there was 2 guys teeing off 10 and so we stopped in the clubhouse, ate a hot dog, spent about 15 minutes total. Whn we got out the guys on 10 were just pulling off from their second shot. We played behind them and I noticed that on the greens they would pull putts back and re hit them more than once. Then it led to dropping another ball out in the fairway and hitting a second shot all while we are standing there waiting on them.

We got to hole 13 and I was getting impatient as I saw both men drop an extra 2 balls out to hit "practice shot" and at this point I had enough. I asked the older guy that started playing with me if I should hit into them. He said screw them hit. So I did and flew the ball over their head. They didn't say anything but on the next hole asked us to play through.

Sorry if was soooo much reading, but what would you have done?

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Were you in the right? No. It's never in the right to hit into someone. In my opinion you should have asked to play through "Since you guys are hitting a couple of balls each."

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
NEVER hit into other players!!! That is one of the Commandments that MUST be respected with this game. (I'm guilty of doing so. This is not a 'holier than thou' rant.) There is only one thing that frustrates me more than slow players. That is players who are slow due to hitting extra shots or taking extra putts. If they see you behind them, they should either pick up the pace or allow you through.
I cannot say how I would have handled the situation, as I was not there. In many cases, we have putted out quickly and "joined" a slow group on the next tee. That usually gives them a hint we want through. I have called a course pro shop and asked for them to send someone out to either hurry along or remove a group. And, we have gone past slow players, simply skipping one hole.
Hitting into players can severly injure someone. Hitting into players can aggravate a situation and lead to assault charges. Hitting into players can turn ugly with fisticuffs or worse. Having a round take longer than planned is not worth any of those scenarios.

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
I've done it once on accident, horrible slice off the tee into the next fairway. Other than it being a freak accident shot that goes crazy there is never an acceptable excuse or reason to intentionally shoot towards anyone. Skip them or drive/walk up and ask if you can play through, I've done that often, and I have never had anyone tell me no. Does it suck to skip a hole? Yes, but getting in a fight, arrested, or worse kicked off the course is far less desirable.

So to recap today's lesson. Never hit into anyone ever period.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Hitting into people isn't right, but what they were doing was way more wrong than what you did.

I wouldn't feel too bad about it, man.

WWBDD

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2013
Country
Canada Canada
http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/moore/article/Golf-rage-incident-extremely-stupid-1279953.php

THE DETAILS: It was in the middle of a sunny Sunday when the phone rang at the pro shop. The foursome of Compton; Jerry Jackola, 51; and Compton's stepsons, Shiloh Richter, 32, and Ramey Harguess, 32, called to complain about the slow-playing group in front of them. That foursome included Shampine; Shampine's dad, Jerry, 57; Shampine's brother, Greg, 34; and family friend John Harris, 43.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/bachelor-party-turns-ugly-in-golf-rage-incident/

According to the police report, Hines and his threesome believed the group was taking too long and disrespecting the course, including driving their carts on the putting surfaces.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/29/sports/golf/29pennington.html?_r=0

Last month, a 33-year-old Seattle-area golfer was convicted of assault for hitting another golfer in the head with a 6-iron. The victim had been complaining about slow play on the golf course. The man wielding the 6-iron had been playing ahead of him.

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
Well the other day I was playing a course with an older gentleman that recently just started playing 2 months ago. We moved pretty fast through the front side without seeing a single person. As we finished up 9 there was 2 guys teeing off 10 and so we stopped in the clubhouse, ate a hot dog, spent about 15 minutes total. Whn we got out the guys on 10 were just pulling off from their second shot. We played behind them and I noticed that on the greens they would pull putts back and re hit them more than once. Then it led to dropping another ball out in the fairway and hitting a second shot all while we are standing there waiting on them.

We got to hole 13 and I was getting impatient as I saw both men drop an extra 2 balls out to hit "practice shot" and at this point I had enough. I asked the older guy that started playing with me if I should hit into them. He said screw them hit. So I did and flew the ball over their head. They didn't say anything but on the next hole asked us to play through.

Sorry if was soooo much reading, but what would you have done?
Jack says not to hit into them but to yell 'FORE' a time or two instead to get the lead out of their ass.

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/moore/article/Golf-rage-incident-extremely-stupid-1279953.php

"While struggling with Greg Shampine, Compton was facing Nicholas Shampine when he was hit on the left side of his head and face. The 6-iron was swung with such force that the shaft was bent, and Compton fell to the ground."
Annnnd THIS is why I never leave home without a gun.
Golf courses arent exempt from the rules....freaks of nature like to play golf too sometimes.
Im taking a swinging golf club as an assault on my life...end of story.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Were you in the right? No. It's never in the right to hit into someone. In my opinion you should have asked to play through "Since you guys are hitting a couple of balls each."

Geez dude. You keep ruining the low expectations I had set for you. Give a guy a break.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
When I've run into this problem in the past, I've driven up to the group and politely told them that we'd like to play through at the next tee. Then I drove back to the tee box, yelled FORE, our group teed off and played the hole at our speed. We actually caught them at the green, and they let us putt out and move on.

I believe everyone has the right to play at their speed and enjoy their day, provided they're willing to let others play through.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
You program the course phone number into your cell phone and then call them on what's going on. If they care they will send someone out to spank them.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
I usually say something to them the next chance I get. That sort of slow play really pisses me off though. It's a complete lack of respect for the folks behind you.

It's one thing to play slowly because of erratic play but a whole different animal to play slowly because of on course practice. Really annoying!

I've actually seen in the local rules: "No practicing on the course."

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
talk about slow.
Had three young guys, early 20's or so it looked, who were carrying bags and walking as slow as I think a nursing home patient can walk.
Boot in ass.

I finally had to jump hole 8 off 7 and go to 9 to get around these slugs so I could play the back 9 before the leagues started. Made it by 10 minutes.

If theyd have been letting others play thru, ok...but they werent.

🔥 Latest posts