• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Water heater go bye bye

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
So, I woke up this morning to our entire water heater dumping onto the basement floor. Extremely lovely. Not such a huge deal, just a pain in the ass.

What was more of a gong show was getting someone to install a new one. Long weekend here, Friday, the works.

The guy's coming at 3. I'm thinking of offering him a long weekend beer so that I don't get a Friday afternoon at 3 job done....:D

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
So, I woke up this morning to our entire water heater dumping onto the basement floor. Extremely lovely. Not such a huge deal, just a pain in the ass.

What was more of a gong show was getting someone to install a new one. Long weekend here, Friday, the works.

The guy's coming at 3. I'm thinking of offering him a long weekend beer so that I don't get a Friday afternoon at 3 job done....:D

R35

Is it gas? If it's electric they're really easy to replace. The one in our master bath crapped out about a month ago. Thankfully we noticed a little water on the floor before it really gave out.

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
I got a new water heater today, as a matter of fact. Old one didn't dump onto the basement floor, but we haven't had a hot shower in 3 days (unless our neighbor's feeling generous enough to use theirs).

$1,000+ later....

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
$1,000+ later....
Holy $#!+.

We were up in arms about paying $1800 for a 40 gallon Boiler-Mate Hot water tank, remembering we had paid $400 for our last hot water heater about 10 years ago. Now I am happy with the Boiler-Mate seeing what hot water heaters cost. Especially since it recycles and regenerates from the boiler in about 10-15 minutes. Actually the boiler itself is usually enough to keep up unless we fill the Jacuzzi tub.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
If I wanted a hot shower here in Georgia, all I would have to do is go outside and spray myself with the garden hose. :) The water coming out of the municipal system is about 95*F this time of year.

I want a cool shower, dammit!!!

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
It's gas.

$1500 pays for the lot. But we're renting now, as they replace them every 5 years on the program. $10 a month which includes unlimited service calls. I'll take that.

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
The one I just replaced was around $350 + my labor but I guess electric is cheaper. I hate plumbing jobs but I hate $70 an hour to watch some guy mess up my house too.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Replace yourself you ninny!

Actually I tried to help my friend replace a gas waterheater once...wow, what a pain.

I've done electric too, much easier.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
You must be certified to replace gas here. Plus, natural gas is cheaper in the long run over electricity. Here, anyways.

The new one is about 8 times more efficient than the one we had previously. That should make a sizeable dent in our gas bills.

R35

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I think you need to be here too, but, my friend is an idiot.

We did it successfully though, :D

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I rented a house once that had the water heater in the attic (?????? what dumbass figured THAT out ??????)

When it cut loose it was a real mess. Had to replace drywall, carpet, attic insulation. Yechhh! You're lucky it happened in a basement.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I rented a house once that had the water heater in the attic (?????? what dumbass figured THAT out ??????)
Yeah, that may get moron of the month. I was leery enough on our old house when it was in a utility room on the first floor. Fortunately when it gave way we caught it early enough that it didn't run into the back room. Then again, Now that our basement is about complete, I think I am going to get one of those water alarms that you can put on the floor and surround it and the boiler with draft guards so I will know prior to ruining the floors.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.